Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

James Marco (jamesdmarco) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Finger Lakes
About Me Backpacker, hiker, cannoer, fisherman, since 1960 or so, now retired. I enjoy being outdoors and vary my gear to match what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am going with. I mostly head into the Adirondacks.
jdm
CityIthaca
StateNew York
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Marco

Showing 1281 - 1290 of 2101 | Page: 1 ...120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 ...211

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Jetboil Sol Ti pot with Caldera Cone
Sure, whatever stove you use, a heat exchanger will help a bit.

In GEAR » Jetboil Sol Ti pot with Caldera Cone
January 31, 9:14pm

Re: Fuels
Dan, I think you will run into the incomplete combustion problem I have with anything longer than one or two carbons in a non-presurized stove. Even propanol never quite reaches the full efficiency...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » n-Butyl / Butanol - Stove Fuel?
January 31, 12:55am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Regulator: Feature or marketing spin?
"I think the real bug was that Jetboil had these incredible claims for boiling time when they released their first stove, but those claims were totally fraudulent. We investigated them. Jetboi...

In GEAR » Melting Snow with Jetboil
January 30, 5:34pm

Re: Re: Regulator: Feature or marketing spin?
"Yes, at 5k BTU the stove is seriously underpowered." Roger, A lot depends on how you look at things. At ~4500BTU I consider that too much heat for good fuel efficiency. Simmering/boilin...

In GEAR » Melting Snow with Jetboil
January 30, 6:04am

Ahh, the top ten, Great Tips!
Mike, you really nailed it with the top ten. These should be posted as the UL'ers commandments from a god to his chosen people.

In Editor's Roundtable » Ultralight Tip of the Week
January 30, 4:58am

Mountain Laurel Designs TrailStar Shelter Review
A really excelent review and follow up! "Its 17-ounce (482-g) weight precludes its use as a solo shelter for hikers that spend more time on virtual hikes than real walks in bad weather, but...

In Editor's Roundtable » Mountain Laurel Designs TrailStar Shelter Review
January 25, 1:40pm

Re: now im stumped !
I well understand that feeling. I have been looking around at stuff for the past couple days. (There isn't a lot to do around here on cold winter days...) and it seems that the various testing...

In GEAR » Difference in warmth of 800 vs 900FP down FOR THE SAME BAG
January 20, 5:33am

Re: Re: Paint your pot black and add fins. It works!
Good Deal! And it is surely worth the effort! Thanks!!!

In Make Your Own Gear » Paint your pot black and add fins. It works!
January 18, 9:47am

Re: Difference in warmth of 800 vs 900FP down FOR THE SAME BAG
Ha, ha...you probably couldn't tell in a bag. 900fp is is a magic lab number you never see in a real bag. And it would compress slightly more and a bit faster, even if you could get it. It ...

In GEAR » Difference in warmth of 800 vs 900FP down FOR THE SAME BAG
January 17, 7:24am

Possible rethink?
Both air turbulence, AND donduction are important. Here is a quickie sketch modeled after some heat exchangers I was working on for a commercial application. Same principles, really. A simple stamp...

In Make Your Own Gear » Fins on a Rockstar can
January 17, 7:11am

All Reader Reviews by James Marco

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Optimus/Primus? Svea 123R
The SVEA 123r is my standard stove for camping. I have spent about 40 years trying to replace the little beast. No such luck. I have found several different stoves that work well for 2-3 days (alcohol...

In Stoves - White Gas
April 19, 3:40am

Klymit Inertia X Frame
I picked up a Xframe (full size) a couple weeks ago. I took it out for 5 nights last weekend with my daughter, Brenda. I had a good trip but was unimpressed by the pad. I tried various techniques with...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 5:16am

gossamer murmur
I have used the old GG G5 pack for well beyond a servicable lifetime. Patching, reinforcing, and repatching...it finaly died and I replaced it with a 2012 Murmur, one of the first off the production l...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 25, 6:06pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Great little piece of gear. Light, easy to use, miserly on fuel. Keeps the heat in on the pot and does a great job of boiling water. I will complain that it does not let enough heat out sometimes......

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 07, 3:50am

Thermarest Neo-Air
The NeoAir is a good pad, with a fantisticcall price. I have a medium which just fits me at 5'9". I usually inflate this fully while setting up camp, giving it a couple of breaths before slee...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 07, 3:22am