BPL Community Profile

James Marco (jamesdmarco) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Finger Lakes
About Me Backpacker, hiker, cannoer, fisherman, since 1960 or so, now retired. I enjoy being outdoors and vary my gear to match what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am going with. I mostly head into the Adirondacks.
jdm
CityIthaca
StateNew York
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Marco

Showing 1281 - 1290 of 1915 | Page: 1 ...120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 ...192

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Very short sighted
Marmot Prince, aka Cuckie_Cheese: Perhaps you are right. Why should ANYONE invest in high power computational resources. Before I retired I ran, purchased, and supported about 1/4 as many computers...

In GEAR » Gear Swap & Capilene
December 04, 5:46pm

Re: Insulation Question (Need some feedback)
I am not too sure if the underquilt is such a good idea. One of the problems I have with all hammocks is the extreme amount of underlayers needed. Coupled with body compression laying on top, and t...

In Make Your Own Gear » Insulation Queston
December 04, 10:13am

Re: Very short sighted
I am sure this was NOT a decision taken lightly. BPL did some examination, thought, checks, some crude cost analysis (informal) on the cost of operating the Gear Swap vs the actual benefit and had ...

In GEAR » Gear Swap & Capilene
December 04, 7:59am

"Marmot Lithium in Northeast winter"
No. It simply is not enough. You would like at least another 2" of loft, chances are, even an overfill or several won't work. As Bryce says, -17F is not uncommon at night. -25F is r...

In GEAR » Marmot Lithium in Northeast winter
December 03, 11:36am

No layers myth...depends on what you mean by sleeping.
I am out hiking with appropriate clothing. WHY would I remove them just to lay down inactive and go to sleep???? It doesn't make sense... I tried this back when I was a young pup. The wife a...

In Philosophy & Technique » debunking the no-layers myth
December 03, 5:34am

Tarps
I have been using tarps for many, many years. I always have one in the ADK's. My first one was an old military tent that the ground had rotted away. After that I got a nylon tarp. Then I spent ...

In GEAR » Tarps
December 02, 6:19pm

Re: "Free" gift for BPL member
Really good idea! Many thanks! (No entry, just sayin'...)

In Gear Swap » "Free" gift for BPL member
December 02, 5:26pm

Re: Murmur 2012- wish I needed another pack!
Yeah, It looks real good, but a little heavier than I like. I can live with that. I need another one after the demise of the old G5... I especially like the looks of the line locks instead of belts...

In GEAR » Murmur 2012 get DXG treatment
December 02, 2:33pm

Re: Re: re: stoves & things
"> Roughly, the SVEA uses just over 1/2 of the fuel that the alcohol stoves do. I'm now guessing that you mean the SVEA 123 pressurised liquid fuel stove. SVEA have also made alcohol...

In Make Your Own Gear » A simple alcohol stove more fuel effecient than the Jim Wood Super Cat?
December 02, 9:43am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How do YOU pack your bear canister?
Bear balls are required in some areas. No fooling. I do not agree, and would not use them. Except in some areas, as was mentioned. They are not really needed her in the ADK's, except to prevent...

In GEAR » How do YOU pack your bear canister?
December 02, 5:12am

All Reader Reviews by James Marco

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Optimus/Primus? Svea 123R
The SVEA 123r is my standard stove for camping. I have spent about 40 years trying to replace the little beast. No such luck. I have found several different stoves that work well for 2-3 days (alcohol...

In Stoves - White Gas
April 19, 3:40am

Klymit Inertia X Frame
I picked up a Xframe (full size) a couple weeks ago. I took it out for 5 nights last weekend with my daughter, Brenda. I had a good trip but was unimpressed by the pad. I tried various techniques with...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 5:16am

gossamer murmur
I have used the old GG G5 pack for well beyond a servicable lifetime. Patching, reinforcing, and repatching...it finaly died and I replaced it with a 2012 Murmur, one of the first off the production l...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 25, 6:06pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Great little piece of gear. Light, easy to use, miserly on fuel. Keeps the heat in on the pot and does a great job of boiling water. I will complain that it does not let enough heat out sometimes......

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 07, 3:50am

Thermarest Neo-Air
The NeoAir is a good pad, with a fantisticcall price. I have a medium which just fits me at 5'9". I usually inflate this fully while setting up camp, giving it a couple of breaths before slee...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 07, 3:22am