BPL Community Profile

James Marco (jamesdmarco) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Finger Lakes
About Me Backpacker, hiker, cannoer, fisherman, since 1960 or so, now retired. I enjoy being outdoors and vary my gear to match what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am going with. I mostly head into the Adirondacks.
jdm
CityIthaca
StateNew York
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Marco

Showing 1281 - 1290 of 1888 | Page: 1 ...120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 ...189

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Proper winter fuels
Well said guys!

In Winter Hiking » Inverted Canister Stove Winter Fuel Consumption
November 27, 2:16pm

Re: Wow
This is an ongoing and open debate. Theory says go with 900 Fp down. Practice says go with 850. Like a good Ferrari, it goes like hell, but they always need a tune up.

In GEAR » 850 vrs. 900 fill down..
November 27, 2:04pm

850 vrs. 900 fill down..
Down, especially good down, holds a lot of air in trapped cells between feathers. The difference between 850 and 900 is minimal but can be significant in cold weather. These are US ratings btw. EN ...

In GEAR » 850 vrs. 900 fill down..
November 27, 5:00am

"Survival expert can't figure out how to pitch a tarp..."
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. And their own display of shear danged cussedness. His is *exactly* why I tried subscribing to the magazine, then quit. Never to even buy the mag again...a...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Survival expert can't figure out how to pitch a tarp...
November 26, 5:58pm

Re: Stoves for simply melting snow and boiling water
I always use a WG stove. An*old* SVEA works for everything I have needed in any temperature I have ever been out in. Highly efficient with fuel, despite the priming. It burns ~6-10grams of WG per ...

In Winter Hiking » Stoves for melting snow and boiling water
November 26, 5:49am

"down jackets"
Down sweaters are generally designed to be worn beneath something else, or in conjuction with something else. Generally a light material with no hood. Usually these weigh ~12oz give or take an ounc...

In GEAR » down jackets
November 25, 6:23pm

Re: I like this discussion!
James, Yeah a total balance of each cooking system is always needed. It also depends on where you intend to use it. The caldera cone or tight fitting wind screen are important parts to every b...

In GEAR » SLX Denatured Alcohol vs HEET vs Green (Klean Strip) Denatured Alcohol
November 24, 5:29am

Re: re: cone-type burners
Yeah, neither are presurizied, which requires priming. As you correctly guessed, the 1/4" holes were to let a self heating flame to occur inside, causing increased vaporization of the fuel. To...

In Make Your Own Gear » DIY Alcohol Stove Users!!
November 23, 11:59am

Gossamer Gear
Yeah, the Mariposa™ Plus Ultralight Backpack usually goes for 170USD, it is marked down to 136 including a sitlite pad. 20% is a pretty good deal....

In Gear Deals » Gossamer Gear Black Friday Sale
November 23, 11:23am

Re: Floorless Tarptent in bug country
"1. For those of you in serious bug country would you consider a floorless shelter much better than a bivy? If not I might as well get rid of it." Well, getting rid of it might not be so...

In GEAR » Floorless Tarptent in bug country
November 22, 3:58am

All Reader Reviews by James Marco

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Optimus/Primus? Svea 123R
The SVEA 123r is my standard stove for camping. I have spent about 40 years trying to replace the little beast. No such luck. I have found several different stoves that work well for 2-3 days (alcohol...

In Stoves - White Gas
April 19, 3:40am

Klymit Inertia X Frame
I picked up a Xframe (full size) a couple weeks ago. I took it out for 5 nights last weekend with my daughter, Brenda. I had a good trip but was unimpressed by the pad. I tried various techniques with...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 5:16am

gossamer murmur
I have used the old GG G5 pack for well beyond a servicable lifetime. Patching, reinforcing, and repatching...it finaly died and I replaced it with a 2012 Murmur, one of the first off the production l...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 25, 6:06pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Great little piece of gear. Light, easy to use, miserly on fuel. Keeps the heat in on the pot and does a great job of boiling water. I will complain that it does not let enough heat out sometimes......

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 07, 3:50am

Thermarest Neo-Air
The NeoAir is a good pad, with a fantisticcall price. I have a medium which just fits me at 5'9". I usually inflate this fully while setting up camp, giving it a couple of breaths before slee...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 07, 3:22am