Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

James Marco (jamesdmarco) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Finger Lakes
About Me Backpacker, hiker, cannoer, fisherman, since 1960 or so, now retired. I enjoy being outdoors and vary my gear to match what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am going with. I mostly head into the Adirondacks.
jdm
CityIthaca
StateNew York
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Marco

Showing 1281 - 1290 of 1923 | Page: 1 ...120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 ...193

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Fuel usage per day OH vs canister
Jake wrote: "kinda hard to double and triple stuff when you don't have much to judge from. ..." I agree, you have to know your overall consumption per day. Example, camper A uses ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Fuel usage per day OH vs canister
December 08, 3:23am

"Ultralight Tip of the Week"
Mike, these tips really require a book, ya'know...as in another one??? Well Done!!!

In Editor's Roundtable » Ultralight Tip of the Week
December 07, 3:11pm

Re: Re open stove: kerosene?
As far as cone stoves, go, the most soot is generated when there is not enough oxygen to burn the fuel vapour. It emits CO and C (common soot.) So, my initial thought was to use higher heat densi...

In Make Your Own Gear » A simple alcohol stove more fuel effecient than the Jim Wood Super Cat?
December 07, 3:45am

Re: re: Re: Re: re: stoves & things
No, I checked your numbers, give or take the actual definitions on fuel heat, (wikopedia is not self consistent) then obviosly something is wrong. I checked my thermometer and it was reading a hair...

In Make Your Own Gear » A simple alcohol stove more fuel effecient than the Jim Wood Super Cat?
December 05, 12:43pm

"Is Backpack Weight Important": Yes
As you found out, 2lb makes a LOT of difference at 10-20 pounds. The question is, what difference is carrying 2 extra pounds at ANY time? In rare cases, the suspension for light weight packs ju...

In GEAR » Is Backpack Weight Important
December 05, 5:34am

"Gossamer Gear Murmur Dyneema DX First Look"
NM

In GEAR » Gossamer Gear Murmur Dyneema DX First Look
December 05, 3:43am

Joe Clement: Re: Gossamer Gear Murmur Dyneema DX First Look
"Now if only someone would post a pic of the rumored GG daypack. Or is this it?" No, that is not the day pack. Joe, Earlylite(Phil Werner) posted this: "The Minimalist – Ult...

In GEAR » Gossamer Gear Murmur Dyneema DX First Look
December 05, 2:39am

Re: Time to move onwards
Yeah, nuff said. I do appologize, I was getting a bit upset...

In GEAR » Gear Swap & Capilene
December 04, 5:53pm

Re: Re: Re: Very short sighted
Marmot Prince, aka Cuckie_Cheese: Perhaps you are right. Why should ANYONE invest in high power computational resources. Before I retired I ran, purchased, and supported about 1/4 as many computers...

In GEAR » Gear Swap & Capilene
December 04, 5:46pm

Re: Insulation Question (Need some feedback)
I am not too sure if the underquilt is such a good idea. One of the problems I have with all hammocks is the extreme amount of underlayers needed. Coupled with body compression laying on top, and t...

In Make Your Own Gear » Insulation Queston
December 04, 10:13am

All Reader Reviews by James Marco

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Optimus/Primus? Svea 123R
The SVEA 123r is my standard stove for camping. I have spent about 40 years trying to replace the little beast. No such luck. I have found several different stoves that work well for 2-3 days (alcohol...

In Stoves - White Gas
April 19, 3:40am

Klymit Inertia X Frame
I picked up a Xframe (full size) a couple weeks ago. I took it out for 5 nights last weekend with my daughter, Brenda. I had a good trip but was unimpressed by the pad. I tried various techniques with...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 5:16am

gossamer murmur
I have used the old GG G5 pack for well beyond a servicable lifetime. Patching, reinforcing, and repatching...it finaly died and I replaced it with a 2012 Murmur, one of the first off the production l...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 25, 6:06pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Great little piece of gear. Light, easy to use, miserly on fuel. Keeps the heat in on the pot and does a great job of boiling water. I will complain that it does not let enough heat out sometimes......

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 07, 3:50am

Thermarest Neo-Air
The NeoAir is a good pad, with a fantisticcall price. I have a medium which just fits me at 5'9". I usually inflate this fully while setting up camp, giving it a couple of breaths before slee...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 07, 3:22am