Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

James Marco (jamesdmarco) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Finger Lakes
About Me Backpacker, hiker, cannoer, fisherman, since 1960 or so, now retired. I enjoy being outdoors and vary my gear to match what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am going with. I mostly head into the Adirondacks.
jdm
CityIthaca
StateNew York
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Marco

Showing 1281 - 1290 of 2047 | Page: 1 ...120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 ...205

Forum » Thread

Re: Pot diameter and efficiency
With alcohol stoves, there are compounding factor. As the pot gets smaller so does the windscreen and therefore the enclosed space around the stove decreases. I have found that the same stove burns...

In Philosophy & Technique » Has anyone ~actually~ measured boil times of wide vs. narrow pot?
January 06, 9:25am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Tall vs. Short
"James, I agree that surface area exposed directly to the flame is the biggest factor. Unfortunately increasing it via spirals or ridges would likely cause the price to increase by orders of m...

In Philosophy & Technique » Has anyone ~actually~ measured boil times of wide vs. narrow pot?
January 06, 5:46am

My Caldura Clone
BM, The cone is a basic shape and is taught as part of many math programs in elementary schools and high schools. As long as you don't distribute the clone you do not infringe on any patents. ...

In Make Your Own Gear » My Caldera Clone
January 05, 6:27pm

Re: Spokes
Dan, You can emove the flattened area and simply fold the spoke. I think that will work OK.

In Make Your Own Gear » Caldera Cones - My Adventures in Improving the ULC system
January 05, 3:23pm

My Caldera Clone
BM, Yeah, I can believe that your cone would show a bit better performance. The CC is more or less a standardized form. Looks Good!

In Make Your Own Gear » My Caldera Clone
January 05, 12:31pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Agua, it's the agua
Exactly my point.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » A Questions Regarding Pounds and Ounces
January 04, 6:09pm

"What size tarp to get?"
I have used tarps for about 30 years or so. It depends on how many people and for what purpose. A tarp is a basic roof. Chances are you will also need a bug shelter or good bug bivy, too. For two p...

In GEAR » What size tarp to get?
January 04, 1:33pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Tall vs. Short
"So we need vortex generators on our pots, like aircraft wings have? I can imagine that helping, especially within a windscreen." As I remember, one of the members there sugested a helic...

January 04, 12:43pm

Re: Re: Agua, it's the agua
Ha, ha....1/0=infinity. 1/1=1. 0/1=0. so, what is 0/0?

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » A Questions Regarding Pounds and Ounces
January 04, 11:56am

Re: Re: Tall vs. Short
"Has anyone tried their Backcountry Boiler or Kelly Kettle or Storm Kettle over a small stove? Then your tall heat exchager and windscreen are all in one. Then put a neoprene cozy on the outsi...

January 04, 9:35am

All Reader Reviews by James Marco

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Optimus/Primus? Svea 123R
The SVEA 123r is my standard stove for camping. I have spent about 40 years trying to replace the little beast. No such luck. I have found several different stoves that work well for 2-3 days (alcohol...

In Stoves - White Gas
April 19, 3:40am

Klymit Inertia X Frame
I picked up a Xframe (full size) a couple weeks ago. I took it out for 5 nights last weekend with my daughter, Brenda. I had a good trip but was unimpressed by the pad. I tried various techniques with...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 5:16am

gossamer murmur
I have used the old GG G5 pack for well beyond a servicable lifetime. Patching, reinforcing, and repatching...it finaly died and I replaced it with a 2012 Murmur, one of the first off the production l...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 25, 6:06pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Great little piece of gear. Light, easy to use, miserly on fuel. Keeps the heat in on the pot and does a great job of boiling water. I will complain that it does not let enough heat out sometimes......

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 07, 3:50am

Thermarest Neo-Air
The NeoAir is a good pad, with a fantisticcall price. I have a medium which just fits me at 5'9". I usually inflate this fully while setting up camp, giving it a couple of breaths before slee...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 07, 3:22am