Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

James Marco (jamesdmarco) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Finger Lakes
About Me Backpacker, hiker, cannoer, fisherman, since 1960 or so, now retired. I enjoy being outdoors and vary my gear to match what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am going with. I mostly head into the Adirondacks. GG Trail Ambassador.
jdm
CityIthaca
StateNew York
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Marco

Showing 1281 - 1290 of 2162 | Page: 1 ...120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 ...217

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Copper foil
I would note that copper will loose temper very quickly, too. It will get very soft at temps far below the actual melting point. As a pot, yeah, it will work. For a stove, no. It gets too soft to h...

In Make Your Own Gear » Will copper foil withstand a wood fire?
May 02, 6:36am

Bent Carbon
Yeah, you can certanly bend carbon. In fact, they could probably be made a bit lighter with a known finished radius in mind. Mostly, the material will shrink slightly when curing. This would elimin...

In Editor's Roundtable » Tunnel Tents Tutorial and State of the Market Report - Part 2: Details and Commercial Models
May 02, 6:23am

"On-Trail Route Finding: When the Trail is Hard to Follow"
In some cases, there is no real trail in the north east of the US. Up and down the hills can often be a matter of simply following the water to its source and finding the trail from there, often a ...

In Editor's Roundtable » On-Trail Route Finding: When the Trail is Hard to Follow
May 02, 5:58am

Re: Quite arbitrary
That is one way. Do not forget that that is BASE weight. Food, fuel, water (other consumables: bug dope, AM drops, etc) usually represent 1/2 to 2/3 of my PACK weight. By those figures, I could c...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » New terminology
May 01, 2:45am

Re: Old school ultralight hiker here...help me update my gear!
Great set up. Leav it and get a good bag at 32F/0C and you should be set. The head lamp can probably be exchanged for an e-light, save an ounce...with a spare set of batteries just increase the...

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » Old school ultralight hiker here...help me update my gear!
April 30, 2:00pm

Re: Drops vs tabs
I would submit, that there is a combination effect, also. You may have some partial resistance. Soo, things like 5 or 6 gardia organisms do not effect you. If you have a weaker digestive system, yo...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Giardia Outbreak
April 26, 2:37pm

Filtering water?
Filtering, chemical treatments, UV treatment, or boiling. All have good points and bad points. Chemicals (chlorine dioxide, iodine, bleach to name a few) don't work on all everything. They...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Giardia Outbreak
April 26, 11:38am

Re: Bears bears bears
Bears are wild animals. They want *food*. In most cases, avoid feeding them parts of yourself. Yes, sometimes, as Bob mentioned, they are focused on a better food supply than what you represent...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Bears bears bears
April 26, 4:42am

Re: Re: Re: Not sure on the weights
I can confirm that the Salomons are indeed about 14.5 oz per foot. That is about 29oz for the pair (I weighed mine at ~28.75oz.)

In GEAR » Lightweight, breathable, waterproof shoes
April 26, 3:45am

Re: compressibility/ packability of wool
Not what you wuld think of as an expert, but wool is good. So is down. I pack both. I never bring synthetics, except for a light fleece pullover. A good wool sweater for packing is probably not...

In GEAR » compressibility/ packability of wool
April 25, 6:06am

All Reader Reviews by James Marco

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Steripen Adventurer Opti
They finally revamped the old Adventurer with the Opti. 1) Improved battery life - The old unit went through batteries at about 25-30L per set. This was primarily because of leaving the batteries ...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
June 16, 5:29am

Optimus/Primus? Svea 123R
The SVEA 123r is my standard stove for camping. I have spent about 40 years trying to replace the little beast. No such luck. I have found several different stoves that work well for 2-3 days (alcohol...

In Stoves - White Gas
April 19, 3:40am

Klymit Inertia X Frame
I picked up a Xframe (full size) a couple weeks ago. I took it out for 5 nights last weekend with my daughter, Brenda. I had a good trip but was unimpressed by the pad. I tried various techniques with...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 5:16am

gossamer murmur
I have used the old GG G5 pack for well beyond a servicable lifetime. Patching, reinforcing, and repatching...it finaly died and I replaced it with a 2012 Murmur, one of the first off the production l...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 25, 6:06pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Great little piece of gear. Light, easy to use, miserly on fuel. Keeps the heat in on the pot and does a great job of boiling water. I will complain that it does not let enough heat out sometimes......

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 07, 3:50am

Thermarest Neo-Air
The NeoAir is a good pad, with a fantisticcall price. I have a medium which just fits me at 5'9". I usually inflate this fully while setting up camp, giving it a couple of breaths before slee...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 07, 3:22am