Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Hiking Malto (gg-man) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Hiking Malto hasn't told us about their geographical region yet.
About Me Hiking Malto has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear List2011 PCT GearList

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Hiking Malto

Showing 1271 - 1280 of 1476 | Page: 1 ...119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 ...148

Forum » Thread

Low hanging friut
Pitch your 18 oz. trekking poles and get some 8 oz. LT4 and you save 10oz. Then worry about cutting grams.

In Gear Lists » my "help change the first number to 5" list :)
June 27, 6:22pm

Re: Well...
Nate, Too bad you fell a bit short but the good news is there is always a next time. Sounds like you hit the wall. How many calories did you consume and when? My last couple of long hikes (40+)...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Training for a speed hike.
June 27, 1:31pm

my experience
Dozens of days in Sierra's in August. One rain/hail storm that lasted about an hour and one snow storm. I take a wind shirt as my only "rain gear." Others will have different exper...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » JMT weather
June 25, 8:52am

Re: Re: Re: @ Greg
Tom, Thanks to you and others as well. This may be a key piece of what I was missing in achieve the high mileage days. If you want to mix your own version, let me know and I can send you a few l...

In GEAR » Energy Gel
June 24, 5:34pm

Re: GU
I tried out Perpetuem on a hike last weekend and loved it. But I am WAY too cheap to spend $12/day of hike on gu stuff. So... I just ordered a 50lb. bag of maltrodextrin and will start experiment...

In GEAR » Energy Gel
June 24, 4:20pm

Using Bleach for Water Disinfection
As promised, here is some helpful information on using bleach as a water disinfectant against giardia. It comes from an leading expert in the field. Keep in mind that this applies to Regular blea...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Using Bleach for Water Disinfection
June 23, 6:41pm

Re: Quilt or Bag liner to increase bag temp.
No way you will get 20-25 degrees BUT.... I have taken my UL-20 quilt, STS liner and a bivy down below zero and stayed surprisingly warm. I was wearing capilene 3 uppers and bottoms, lightweight h...

In GEAR » Quilt or Bag liner to increase bag temp.
June 23, 8:03am

Bivy?
What about a bivy combined with one of the lighter options. You could then use it in colder temperatures combined with another bag. Sort of like layering your sleep system. I do that with bivy, ...

In GEAR » Hot Summer Sleep System
June 22, 6:00pm

Re: Lightweight pants & shirt to keep the sun off. What's everyone wearing?
Tan REI Saraha pants with a white Golite LS BL-1. Plus I cut up an XXL white Capilene 1 shirt to put on my shaved head and it's held in place with a SuperVisor. Works great out west but I d...

In GEAR » Lightweight pants & shirt to keep the sun off. What are the options?
June 22, 12:30pm

Bear Canister in a Jam
I place the sleeping pad flat against my back (or in a U with my Ridgerest deluxe) My sleeping bag, tarp and bivy goes in the bottom. The canister goes in with the lid up. (Sometimes I can get in...

In Gear Lists » JMT Hike by Boy Scout
June 22, 7:28am

All Reader Reviews by Hiking Malto

Hiking Malto has posted no reviews.