BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 1261 - 1270 of 1560 | Page: 1 ...118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 ...156

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Permethrin treatment
The normal concentration for Permethrin on clothing is .05%. Permethrin is mixed with different inert carriers for different applications. The water carrier used in the yard version results in the ...

In GEAR » Mesquito Repellant Questions
July 07, 10:43am

Re: Re: Re: Layering observation
When reporting thermal comfort using wool, or any other material, the color of the fabric needs to be indicated to make an informed judgment as to the merits of the material type. Since there about...

In GEAR » Layering observation
July 06, 8:46am

Re: Re: R values, loft, AYCE
David-Your calculation is correct, but their published value doesn't match up with other independent tests.

In GEAR » R values everywhere!
July 04, 12:01pm

Re: Re: Layering observation
Layering Observation Conventional woven fabrics, like cotton and wool, average 4 clo per inch versus only about 5 clo per inch for the most advanced non woven insulations like Climashield XP and...

In GEAR » Layering observation
July 03, 1:24pm

Re: Re: R values, loft, AYCE
David-Thanks for the table of insulation prices. Regarding your question, “Could liteloft still be a competitive or even superior insulation even if it is only available at dogbooties.com?” ...

In GEAR » R values everywhere!
July 03, 12:49pm

Re: MB Dry Tec vs eVENT
The following comparison uses JIS L 1099 B for both tests. The Montbell number is from page 10 of their catalog. Breeze-Tec.....15,000 eVENT EV121.....21,997

In GEAR » Rain jackets and rain pants
June 26, 10:20am

Re: Re: Re: There IS a waterproof windshirt!
Doug - I agree that, "...there must be more to the equation than just the hydrostatic head tests." My suspicion is that if you use an insulation layer under this type of jacket, the in...

In GEAR » Waterproofing a wind shirt
June 24, 9:11am

Re: There IS a waterproof windshirt!
Doug - Light as a windshirt - YES. Truely waterproof - NO. A hydrostatic head of 1,300 mm is only 1.8 PSI. This Montane material has a waterproofness level of 1.8 PSI which is the same as Nextec...

June 23, 8:59pm

Re: Don't waterproof a windshirt, but you can do other things...
Kevin - Very good advice, but there are some related seam sealing subtleties that bear additional discussion. I have water repellency augmented all of my windshirts which include: the Special Fo...

June 23, 8:12pm

Re: Waterproofing a wind shirt
Eric - I also have some Cabela's Guidewear shirts. I agree with you that they are very tightly woven and would work well as windshirts. My informal breath test results in me estimating that the...

June 23, 3:53pm

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm