BPL Community Profile

Bob Bankhead (wandering_bob) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon, USA
About Me Bob Bankhead has not added a biography yet.
CityLake Oswego
StateOR
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Bob Bankhead

Showing 1231 - 1240 of 1318 | Page: 1 ...113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132

Forum » Thread

best thru hiking book
At the risk of dating myself (and those who recognize what follows), let me suggest some "earlier" editions by Cindy Ross: "A Woman's Jouney" 1982 ISBN 0-917953-42-8 Appalachian Trial Conferen...

In GEAR » best thru hiking book?
November 18, 6:27pm

Grocery store options
Erin: Based solely on what I've read in this thread, let me suggest that you try shipping your home-prep'd foods to the northern, more expensive, end of the trail and use your cash to resupply l...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Grocery store options
November 14, 3:09pm

CAMPUSA Tourax Ice Axe on sale
All gone

In GEAR » Are aluminium ice axes safe?
November 14, 7:26am

considering a Tarptent Rainbow
Jordan: I have both the Contrail and Double Rainbow. Is the DR a solo overkill? That depends on what you're doing and for how long. The DR weighs 10 oz more than the Rainbow but you get a...

In GEAR » considering a Tarptent Rainbow...
November 13, 8:27pm

New Six Moon Designs Items
See http://www.sixmoondesigns.com Ron has announced two new tents and a new panel-loading pack for 2007: The Lunar Duo - a 2 person, 2 door, 2 vestibule, 40 oz shelter The Wild Oasis - ...

In GEAR » New Six Moon Designs Items
November 11, 11:34am

is a bivy neccessary
I've lived in the Portland, OR area for the past 20 years and have hiked from Yosemite to Manning. You should reach OR in early July when the rainy season is essentially over. Yes, we get a lot of ...

In GEAR » is a bivy neccessary
November 09, 10:49am

Tarptent Contrail Tent REVIEW
The difference is the weight of an energy bar - IMO, virtually meaningless in comparison to your total load. Up front, I own both the Contrail and the Double Rainbow, but am also very familiar w...

In Editor's Roundtable » Tarptent Contrail Tent REVIEW
November 09, 10:16am

eVent or Epic: Which is more breathable?
for tents that might be true, but I suspect that the heat from your body, because of its proximity to the event shell, would be sufficient to prevent moisture from freezing in the fabric under norm...

In GEAR » eVent or Epic: Which is more breathable?
November 04, 9:32am

Double Rainbow in the Wind
My turn to "stir the pot" so to speak. CAVEAT: IMO, the tarptents aren't designed for regular use in alpine high wind situations. That's not their market position. That said..... Two guyout l...

In GEAR » Double Rainbow in the Wind
October 06, 7:40pm

SUL Long Handled Titanium Spoon
Remember, wood is porous and as such, readily holds bacteria and gives them a breeding place. Sterilizing a wooden object is virtually impossible with the resources a hiker might have. Metal,...

In GEAR » SUL Long Handled Titanium Spoon
October 03, 12:28pm

All Reader Reviews by Bob Bankhead

Showing 1 - 10 of 17 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Western Mountaineering The Company
WM products are a 5+ WM the company does not sell direct, only through dealers, ergo end-user contacts would not be expected. Their printed catalogues do list their address and FAX and telephone nu...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 24, 3:33pm

Mountain House Lasagna with Meat Sauce
I use a lot of Mountain House Pro Packs and as much as I like the flavor and texture of this item, I avoid it like the plague. The overwhelming downside is the cheese they use. It does NOT rehydra...

In Foods - Prepackaged Meals & Side Dishes
October 05, 5:17pm

Mountain House Sweet and Sour Pork with Rice
One of my favorite Mountain House meals, albeit a tad too sweet for my taste; too much pineapple, not enough sour sauce. Nonetheless, it makes a great motivator to get to a dinner spot when I know one...

October 03, 6:26pm

Mountain House Precooked Scrambled Eggs with Bacon
I tried these several years ago when they first came out - no bacon in them then. They were horrible! Like a previous reviewer said, virtually flavorless yellow sponges. Last year I noticed they ha...

October 03, 6:21pm

Gossamer Gear Lightrek 4 Adjustable CF Trekking Poles
I decided not to buy these when they first came out because fully closed they were too long to carry on my pack in checked baggage on the plane, and I really didn't want to hassel with the maili...

In Trekking Poles
September 24, 11:15pm

Six Moon Designs Gatewood Cape
I just returned from 22 nights in the high Sierra on the PCT and JMT. I had two days of constant high winds in Onion Valley, with sustained gusts to at least 50 mph. My trusty Gatewood Cape flapped a ...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
August 24, 9:23am

Six Moon Designs Traveler backpack
We have TWO Traveler packs. Early in 2008, we were shopping for a new pack for my wife, who has a short 14-1/2 inch torso length. We drove out to Ron's house to try the SMD Essence, but it did not...

In Backpacks - Frameless
April 06, 10:35am

Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Sack
In addition to silnylon, Sea to Summit also now makes their Dry Sack line in eVENT fabric, both with and without compression capability. evac Dry Sack: available in 3, 5, 8, 13, 20, 35, and 65 lite...

In Miscellaneous Products
May 21, 9:08pm

Therm-A-Rest Ridgerest
This has been my "go-to" sleeping pad for many years on the PCT. I've tried a variety of others but keep returning to this little beauty. It does a great job of insulating one from th...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
May 17, 8:26am

Aloksak O.P 12.5 x 20"
I have found them to be quite effective in the Sierras the past two summers. I have a Bearikade Expedition, and if you're not careful, the metal edges around the latches can slice an OP sak wh...

In Miscellaneous Products
August 21, 10:07pm