BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 1231 - 1240 of 1542 | Page: 1 ...115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 ...155

Forum » Thread

Pacific Outdoor Equipment ECO Thermo 6 R value is reasonable
It appears to be a reasonable R value considering the pad is 2.5 inches thick. My reasoning is as follows: R 7.8 / 2.5 = 3.10 R per inch R 6.8 / 2.5 = 2.72 R per inch Average recreational us...

In GEAR » POE Thermo 6 sleeping pad r-value?
July 31, 4:59pm

One non-scented baby wipe, a plastic bag, and 8 oz of hot water works wonders to remove stickiness. Take the wipe, bag, and water to your tent when you are ready to retire for the evening. Pour ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Anyone else hate sleeping sticky?
July 31, 10:06am

Re: Re: Re: Royal Blue??
Richard – You are correct that the color blue has more energy than the color green. What I didn’t explain well enough was that if you see a tarp as blue, it means the blue color/energy is being...

In Make Your Own Gear » Bright or not????
July 27, 11:57am

Re: Royal Blue??
Richard - The sunlight generates about 1,000 watts of energy per m2 when overhead. If your primary objective is more shade (lower temperature under the tarp), blue is generally the better choice of...

In Make Your Own Gear » Bright or not????
July 26, 10:59pm

Re: New - Pertex Shield - DWR-PU Coated
Bill - You are correct that your new bivy (Pertex Shield in place of Pertex Quantum) would now be waterproof. I think that using your 3 yd. sample for vented rain wear would yield you the most b...

In GEAR » New - Pertex Shield - DWR-PU Coated
July 26, 10:31pm

Bill - You, said, "How about for trail hiking such as on the AT? Light weight rain gear with one or more clever and light weight venting options and maybe a pair of rain mitts." It is a g...

July 26, 5:42pm

Bill - Thank you for the data sheet. Based on the specs, this material is applicable for extremely light WPB rain wear as would be required for backpacking but, not bushwhacking. It is very similar...

July 26, 1:24pm

Bill - Thank you for the heads up. I also would like to get some sample material to test. The second picture appears like the inside layer isn't shiny and the third picture appears like it is. ...

July 25, 3:01pm

Re: Re: starting a fire with flint and steel
To the above sage advice, I have one minor point to add. In heavy winds it helps to put your tinder in a depression prior to creating the spark shower. Ironically I watched a Survivor man rerun ...

In Philosophy & Technique » starting a fire with flint and steel
July 23, 3:16pm

Re: Re: Welcome back
PJ - I too missed your well researched and well written posts. What happened to cause your disability?

In Editor's Roundtable » SteriPEN Adventurer Water Purifier REVIEW
July 23, 8:09am

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm