Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 1231 - 1240 of 1660 | Page: 1 ...115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 ...166

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Tarp & Bivy
There is one other condensation mitigation factor that I originally thought was too obvious to mention. On second thought, it bears mentioning. An area sheltered from the wind or your tarp pitched ...

In GEAR » soggy bivy nights?
November 29, 3:42pm

Re: Re: Tarp & Bivy
John, You are right, the tarp doesn't enough warm air to raise the dewpoint. What a tarp does is provide a partial IR block which reduces the probability that the bivy temp will be lower tha...

November 29, 9:30am

Re: Re: Re: bivy.
Inaki, Yes, thickness and material also play a role. One layer of shiny aluminum coated mylar will block the loss. Polyester and nylon fibers absorb and then re-radiate ~ 1/2 up and 1/2 down.

November 29, 8:46am

Re: bivy.
Dave, The ocean temp in that area averages around 50F year round. When you sleep close to it, you will experience a larger night time temp drop than just one block inland. The more the temperature...

November 28, 7:19pm

Best camera for backpacking and packrafting?
Which camera, the Olympus 790 or the Pentax Optio WP30 is best for backpacking and packrafting?

In GEAR » Best camera for backpacking and packrafting?
November 28, 12:28pm

Re: long term use
Kevin, Is it intended strictly for emergency use.

In GEAR » BlizzardBag; Richard N. help with Togs
November 27, 7:57am

Re: Blizzard Bag
Robert - If you aren't carrying a sleeping bag, the Blizzard bag is better because it provides both the bivy function and the sleeping bag insulation function. If you are carrying a sleeping...

November 26, 5:43pm

Re: Re: Re: blizzard bag
Christopher, On my postal scale, a vacum packaged Blizzard Bag weighs 12.5 oz (354 g).

November 26, 11:59am

Re: blizzard bag
Ian, I agree with Mike's answer realtive to your vapor barrier question. Regarding your question about repackaging the bag... it will require a compression sack to get it near the size o...

November 26, 11:28am

Re: Re: Re: blizzard bag/clo
Christopher, As a cell size increases, air moves from conduction flow, to laminar flow, to convection flow. They licensed the Mont-bell SS patent and applied it in a unique way so that they keep...

November 26, 11:23am

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm