BPL Community Profile

USA Duane Hall (hikerduane) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
About Me I'm 60, single male. I had been in Retail Management for over 30 years. I have mostly solo bped since the early mid '70's. I XC some, not afraid to go alone, I also solo winter camp, even out in sub-zero temps. A few years ago, I went on a backcountry bp to Alaska, where I flew in by bush plane with five others into Wrangell/St. Elias NP. Since early 2010, I have been collecting vintage/antique camping and bp stoves, having acquired over 90 now. I like many outdoor activities, from bping to dirtbike riding, gardening.
CityMeadow Valley
StateCA
CountryUS Of A

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by USA Duane Hall

Showing 1231 - 1240 of 1582 | Page: 1 ...115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 ...159

Forum » Thread

Devils Postpile like features
A little over an hour hike I believe, west of Devils Postpile is a similar geological feature as the National Mounument itself, with obsidian chips at one camp spot. Even in runover Desolation Wil...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Lesser known spots in high volume areas
January 08, 6:48pm

Trail runners
I switched to Montrail Hardrock's about 6.5 years ago, doing great with pack weights of up to 35 lbs., mostly around 30-31 lbs. Ankle support? Three years ago, I did a trip that had quite a b...

In GEAR » Need help converting from hiking boots to something lighter
January 05, 10:05pm

Couple pistols
Luke, I was the second oldest and had the lightest pack, best shape too I believe. You are right, shooters to the front, don't miss. Good point also about being spread out, from day one,...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Alone in a vast Alaskan wilderness, seven teens fend off a grizzly bear—then try to stay alive
January 05, 9:24pm

We had a couple pistols
When I was in Wrangell-St Elias in 2009, I forgot to pick up bear spray at REI before we left Anchorage, but a couple guys had pistols, one only a 38, so he would have only made ole man griz mad. ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Alone in a vast Alaskan wilderness, seven teens fend off a grizzly bear—then try to stay alive
January 05, 7:46pm

City folk
I think this gets people going because they see and read about violence in whatever city they live in and can deal with that. Bear/grizz encounters are very foreign, they don't know how to act...

January 05, 6:15pm

I think my old pack is 5500
My old Epperson pack is 5500, 90L if I remember right. I'm looking for a new pack too, a top loader. I have spare room in it for overnighters in the snow. I usually tie the blue pad on top, ...

In GEAR » How many litres for winter?
January 05, 6:46am

Poor reviews
From the reviews, looks like it doesn't fit very well. $20 is great though. Duane

In Gear Deals » Cabela's Down Jacket $19.99
January 04, 9:49pm

Ask your outdoorsy parents
Bump. Looking also for a Campingo stove and a Optimus 20 brass stove. Ask your folks if they have any old MSR stoves they are not using and want to send to a good home. I like the really old, ear...

In Gear Swap » WTB vintage stoves etc.
January 04, 7:06pm

Sounds quick
Thanks Eric, that makes sense, only shoveling out space for your legs. If you cover up too much though, you are gonna have condensation on gear/clothes. Don liked the Sierra Club method with the ...

In Winter Hiking » Better Snow Trenches and Gardens
January 03, 6:43pm

White pump wanted
Get too much gear for Christmas? Need to unload some old gear, especially old MSR pumps? I would still like to pick up a white one, working of course, but a complete non-working model would be sti...

In Gear Swap » WTB vintage stoves etc.
January 03, 6:38pm

All Reader Reviews by USA Duane Hall

USA Duane Hall has posted no reviews.