BPL Community Profile

USA Duane Hall (hikerduane) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
About Me I'm 60, single male. I had been in Retail Management for over 30 years. I have mostly solo bped since the early mid '70's. I XC some, not afraid to go alone, I also solo winter camp, even out in sub-zero temps. A few years ago, I went on a backcountry bp to Alaska, where I flew in by bush plane with five others into Wrangell/St. Elias NP. Since early 2010, I have been collecting vintage/antique camping and bp stoves, having acquired over 90 now. I like many outdoor activities, from bping to dirtbike riding, gardening.
CityMeadow Valley
StateCA
CountryUS Of A

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by USA Duane Hall

Showing 1231 - 1240 of 1666 | Page: 1 ...115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 ...167

Forum » Thread

Whad about the rain?
Whadda ya do when it rains and you are using your stove with the tent stakes? I can see in good weather, your shelter laying half erected, but in a rain, seems might be wet unless you have another...

In GEAR » What is this? Caldera question
February 10, 11:28am

Just saying
I got the feeling that alky stove users felt they should be exempt, but the FS lumps them in with campfires, chainsaws, other activities as potential fire starters. That's how it got mentioned...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Alcohol Stoves a fire hazard?
February 09, 9:48pm

Both lengths
I have both lengths in my WM bags. Can't really tell the diff other than a little extra weight. I tend to sleep on my side. The zip on the Caribou hangs up some, I could get away with a 3/4 ...

In GEAR » Two questions about Western Mountaineering bags
February 09, 9:27pm

Don't burn us out of our backyards
My understanding on alky stoves, according to FS officials, you have to be able to turn it off. I've seen do-gooders tell me during extreme fire conditions in August, that it was family tradit...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Alcohol Stoves a fire hazard?
February 09, 7:47pm

I've looked
Man, have I looked at the Z-Packs gear. Man-oh-man! Income taxes have come in and the bonus, but like you said, diminishing returns. Done that before, I'll have to sell or trade gear to lowe...

In GEAR » Turned off by large foot print of shelters
February 09, 11:32am

In the field same as tests at home
I picked up a Caldera Cone in late July last year and a clearance REI ti .9 pot. I ran it a few times at home and it used around 5/8 - 3/4 oz. denatured alcohol to boil 12 oz. of water. Time was ...

In GEAR » Alcohol Stove. How much?
February 08, 10:04pm

Squall is great
Debbie, my Squall is still fine, suffers same condensation issues as many other silnylon shelters in high humidity conditions. Just trying to get lighter and salivating over BPL folks light weight...

February 08, 5:54pm

Starlight will work
I have a SMD Starlight, works fine with a Bearicade at the top or close to the top. 30-32 lbs. Its been used two seasons now. Duane

In Gear Lists » 2012 PCT list
February 07, 7:43pm

Going up in weight
Franco, those are getting my weight up. My Squall is 26 oz. the Moment is 30 oz. Two stakes would be great though. Duane

February 07, 6:50pm

Never looked
I never gave them a thought. I'll do some looking. Bug net too? Would be cheaper too. Hmmm, on to something. Duane

February 07, 1:59pm

All Reader Reviews by USA Duane Hall

USA Duane Hall has posted no reviews.