BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 1221 - 1230 of 1560 | Page: 1 ...114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 ...156

Forum » Thread

Re: pwer stretch while hiking
Tom - You obviously have dialed-in a system that works well for you in Cascade winter conditions. Only if your Capilene 1 base layer had to be augmented with your Patagonia Micro Puff beyond the fi...

In GEAR » Fleece top as a staple for backpacking?
August 28, 6:57pm

Re: Re: Fleece
Nick – Merino wool or two versions of fleece are designed for next-to-skin wear in cool to cold temperatures; those are the Power Dry (.080" loft) and Power Stretch (.130" loft) materia...

In GEAR » Fleece top as a staple for backpacking?
August 28, 4:57pm

Re: Shadow hoodie compared to other options
SK - There is no zip to ventilate the WT hoody. I find the primary benefit of a hoody, in combination with a wind shirt, is the wide range of temps that can be quickly adjusted for. From moderate t...

In GEAR » Smartwool Shadow hoodie available
August 28, 4:13pm

Smartwool Shadow hoodie compared to other options
I also received my Smartwool hoody from BAP last week and just wore it for the first time this weekend. It looks nice enough to wear to a wedding. It will be my new standard for city related outdoo...

In GEAR » Smartwool Shadow hoodie available
August 27, 9:21am

Re: Welcome Andrew - Sub Kilo
I agree with Doug that this bag is a good value but only if your shoulder girth is a few inches less than the bag's 57 inches. What is yours? You need a bag with enough room so that you can ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » I'm new to this and I need some (a ton of) advice
August 24, 10:26am

Re: Re: JMT Fast Packing for Old Dogs
Aaron - The chart I most recently posted is for someone who is in much older and with a much lower VO2max than you. On 1/20/07 your forum post listed your relevant values as 6'- tall 155 -...

In Post-Trip Reports » JMT Atempt Report
August 15, 9:51am

JMT Fast Packing for Old Dogs
Reinhold - You are correct; a ratio of 70/15/15 is best for a multiple day endurance event. The preferred combo can be illustrated by the above metabolic substrate model for a 64 year old ma...

August 14, 9:39pm

Re: sleeping bag temp ratings
Terry - Most sleeping bag insulation values are measured in a temperature controlled rigid enclosure without any wind (forced convection). The rating is generally applicable to any enclosure which ...

In GEAR » Thermawrap warm enough?
August 14, 8:27am

Re: Energy gels & fat utilization
Reinhold - The major problem with crackers, cookies, and potato chips is the relative fat content which makes them hard to digest and the relatively low carb contribution. For example, the detailed...

August 10, 1:04pm

Re: Fat/protien intake
James - We are in general agreement. I should have clarified "race diet" to mean what he consumed when running/fast hiking and not resting. Michael said, "...Bratwurst sausages w...

August 10, 11:56am

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm