BPL Community Profile

Dean F. (acrosome) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Back in the Front Range
About Me Solvitur ambulando sub divo.
CityColorado Springs
StateColorado
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Dean F.

Showing 1221 - 1230 of 1540 | Page: 1 ...114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 ...154

Forum » Thread

+1 to consider the NEW Jam
I have to admit that since I've been using my (older) Jam2 I have decided that I miss hip pockets. I've discovered that I really don't like carrying stuff in my clothing pockets when I...

In Gear Swap » WTB Golite Jam 2
August 20, 3:50am

Re: Re: Re: Re: no way to deny?
>> My point was just that meat in both small or high amounts has always been part of the human diet. So if you want to eat healthy go ahead and eat meat and dairy -you wont keel over from cl...

In Philosophy & Technique » ULers Carrying an Extra 20-40 lbs - WHY?!
August 20, 2:19am

Ideal HAPWE Formula
Okay, I just figured out where those constants come from mathematically! Here is an ideal formula for Height-Adjusted Pack-Weight Equivalent: W is the pack weight H is the hiker's heig...

In GEAR » Backpacking Weight Ranks
August 19, 11:36pm

Vegetarianism
>> I would put my money on the well educated vegetarians to pip the carnivores at the longevity post Ok. Here Lynn and I will disagree (slightly). As I understand it, vegetarian diets...

In Philosophy & Technique » ULers Carrying an Extra 20-40 lbs - WHY?!
August 19, 3:29pm

"Height-dependent" pack weight
>> 1) Surely, any clothing, including socks and shoes, base layers, insulation layers, wind shells, rain shells, hats, gloves, etc. 2) Mosquito headnet? Kind of hard to find different sizes...

August 19, 1:10pm

Re: Gees you guys are nuts with all your calcs and whatnot
It's a JOKE, Troy. Admittedly, it is a geek joke, but it is still a joke... Nonetheless, if we can get the "5'10" hikers' 10-pound base pack height-dependent weight perc...

August 19, 10:47am

Re: packweights R fun.
>> Behold the rise of the Packweight Categorization Flame War! Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!

August 19, 10:21am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I like it - some graphs
>> True, but we were trying to equalize the thresholds for ease of attaining a pack that light - not ease of carrying it. Well then we're talking about subtly different things. I sor...

August 19, 9:08am

Re: Re: Re: I like it - some graphs
>> I think it might be a little too harsh on short people / generous to tall people. So is BMI. It is a harsh truth. And, this is all a joke, brother... But even then this might no...

August 19, 8:51am

Re: I like it - some graphs
That makes perfect sense, because a 5'9"-ish hiker carrying 20 pounds is (roughy) PMI=3 which is twice the SUL PMI=1.5, just as 20 pounds is twice 10 pounds. So, PMI=3 defines LW backpack...

August 19, 7:01am

All Reader Reviews by Dean F.

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Bushnell SolarWrap Mini
Very light, but lost points for a smaller battery capacity than competitors and for durability concerns. And, shouldn't we really have an Electronic category in Gear Reviews at this point? Put...

In Miscellaneous Products
February 09, 6:56pm

Ultimate Hiker's Gear Guide -Andrew Skurka book
Wow, how to rate this book? It is NOT meant for someone who is already an experienced UL hiker. There is nothing in this book that someone like that doesn't already know or can find out in fiv...

In Books and Media
June 21, 3:43pm

Klepper Double wood framed folding kayak
I own a Long Haul Mark 2, which is a copy of the Klepper Double. Though the fasteners vary very slightly the Klepper frame can use the Long Haul hull-skins and vice versa. The guy who builds the Lon...

In Miscellaneous Products
March 27, 1:18pm

Sawyer In-Line Filter
I have a slightly different kit- the 0.1 micron 4-way filter. Of the filters available I give it a 5. It's not perfect, but IMHO it is the best that is available, hands down. The 4-way kit come...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
December 08, 10:12am

La Sportiva Crosslite
Personally, I rate this shoe a 5/5 because I'm ecstatic to find a shoe that FITS! (I have mutant monkey-feet.) But generally it is probably a 4. Listen, ye, to my tale of woe... I just mov...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
September 27, 6:02pm

Mont Bell
My wife ordered something I wanted for my birthday from MontbellUSA (not the main company in Japan). She included several ways of contacting her. Three and a half months later it hadn't arrived, s...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
September 03, 11:46pm