Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 1211 - 1220 of 1641 | Page: 1 ...113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 ...165

Forum » Thread

Re: To Bivy or Not in Point Reyes
Casey, No bivy at Pt Reyes could be even worse. The dew point could then occur just occur lower in the down insulation.

In GEAR » soggy bivy nights?
November 29, 3:49pm

Re: Re: Re: Tarp & Bivy
There is one other condensation mitigation factor that I originally thought was too obvious to mention. On second thought, it bears mentioning. An area sheltered from the wind or your tarp pitched ...

November 29, 3:42pm

Re: Re: Tarp & Bivy
John, You are right, the tarp doesn't enough warm air to raise the dewpoint. What a tarp does is provide a partial IR block which reduces the probability that the bivy temp will be lower tha...

November 29, 9:30am

Re: Re: Re: bivy.
Inaki, Yes, thickness and material also play a role. One layer of shiny aluminum coated mylar will block the loss. Polyester and nylon fibers absorb and then re-radiate ~ 1/2 up and 1/2 down.

November 29, 8:46am

Re: bivy.
Dave, The ocean temp in that area averages around 50F year round. When you sleep close to it, you will experience a larger night time temp drop than just one block inland. The more the temperature...

November 28, 7:19pm

Best camera for backpacking and packrafting?
Which camera, the Olympus 790 or the Pentax Optio WP30 is best for backpacking and packrafting?

In GEAR » Best camera for backpacking and packrafting?
November 28, 12:28pm

Re: long term use
Kevin, Is it intended strictly for emergency use.

In GEAR » BlizzardBag; Richard N. help with Togs
November 27, 7:57am

Re: Blizzard Bag
Robert - If you aren't carrying a sleeping bag, the Blizzard bag is better because it provides both the bivy function and the sleeping bag insulation function. If you are carrying a sleeping...

November 26, 5:43pm

Re: Re: Re: blizzard bag
Christopher, On my postal scale, a vacum packaged Blizzard Bag weighs 12.5 oz (354 g).

November 26, 11:59am

Re: blizzard bag
Ian, I agree with Mike's answer realtive to your vapor barrier question. Regarding your question about repackaging the bag... it will require a compression sack to get it near the size o...

November 26, 11:28am

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm