Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 1201 - 1210 of 1643 | Page: 1 ...112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 ...165

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Bag warmth vs. Altitude @ same temp.
High elevations will have minimal effect on insulation values. A backpacker’s trousers, merino woody hoody, and windshirt (~.6 clo) ensemble would have no change in insulation value between sea l...

In Philosophy & Technique » Bag warmth vs. Altitude @ same temp.
February 07, 11:48pm

Re: Still looking for bootie
I own both the Integral Designs Primaloft Sport booties and the Montrail Primaloft Sport booties. The Montrail's are 2x warmer, weigh 5 oz each, plus they come with a slip on WP outer shell for...

In Gear Swap » WTB Down Bootie
February 01, 5:55pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Esbit or Alcohol or Bush Buddy?
Wouldn’t the Ti-Tri Caldera System, in wood burning mode, provide equivalent functionality to the Bush Buddy plus add alcohol and Esbit modes? I am in the process of planning a multi-week pac...

In GEAR » Esbit or Alcohol Stove?
January 24, 4:35pm

Polycarbonate Fishing Rod Case Source?
Backpacking Light Ultralight Fishing Rod Case in 2" diameter by 24" length is no longer stocked by BPL. Is there another source for this item? I found a 1 5/8" Polycarbonate Tu...

In GEAR » Polycarbonate Fishing Rod Case Source?
January 18, 12:46pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: "I did not know how to stay warm when it was cold"
Mark, I share John’s concern that something may be amiss with your references that support the statement, "At 0F, you 1/2 the average persons base metabolism is used warming air." Th...

In Philosophy & Technique » "I did not know how to stay warm when it was cold"
January 15, 12:28pm

Re: R1 Hoody availability
In the San Francisco Bay area I have recently seen a full selection of R1 sizes at the San Francisco Patagonia store and also at the CA Flyfishing store in San Carlos.

In GEAR » Patagonia R1 Hoody/Bigfoot/Loch Ness Monster
December 08, 5:53pm

Re: epic pants
Jeff, Soiled spots including tree sap removed with alcohol or grease stains removed with automobile finish tar remover readily wet out. I haven't noticed any major reduction from normal dirt...

In GEAR » epic pants
December 08, 4:01pm

Re: Re: Soggy bivy nights - revisited
Mike, Thanks for your comments. I will reference relevant parts of the Havenith study to address some of the issues you raised. His test environment was a 20 F environmental chamber with negligi...

In GEAR » soggy bivy nights?
December 08, 2:18pm

Re: Soggy bivy nights-revisited
SK, Regarding 1, "it would close" should have read "it will be close". 2. "Part clo" refers to the clo of the part taken by itself. For example, the GG pad has an R...

December 08, 9:33am

Soggy bivy nights - revisited
Dave T's posted a question on 11/28/07 regarding how he could reduce bivy moisture for a specific night time temperature, location, bag, and bivy. There was consensus on overhead IR loss block...

December 08, 12:38am

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm