Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 1201 - 1210 of 1580 | Page: 1 ...112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 ...158

Forum » Thread

Re: Loft/insulation degradation
Daniel & Michael - Primaloft One is one of the worst synthetics for loosing loft / insulation value through stuffing and washing but, all synthetics exhibit that characteristic to various degre...

In GEAR » What's the benefit of synthetic?
September 25, 3:31pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: equal insulation - down loft vs synthetic loft
Harold - All measurements were in F and the ambient room temperature was 71.7F (thermastat was set to 70F). The test area was free from major radiant heat sources (windows & heating vents). The...

September 25, 3:08pm

Re: Re: equal insulation - down loft vs synthetic loft
Harold - Set the thermostat in your house to 70F. Set a heating pad to its highest setting. Use your own jackets or borrow some that are close to what Acye tested. Put the jacket over the heating p...

September 25, 9:05am

Re: Re: Re: equal insulation - down loft vs synthetic loft
Ron - A 20% overfill should yield the maximum thermal efficiency potential of down. According to my calculations 800 fill goose down, at this density, will be warmer than any synthetic insulation o...

September 25, 8:40am

Re: Question on Richards down density graph
Brett - Synthetic insulations comes from the factory with a fixed density to optimize its conductive, convective, and radiative heat losses. Down has variable density depending on its fill power an...

September 25, 8:21am

Re: equal insulation - down loft vs synthetic loft
Harold – You asked, “What data are you looking at or how did you arrive at your conclusion?” I have read posts by Acye in the past. In general I was 99% in agreement with him. He not only...

September 24, 11:08pm

Re: Re: Loft Heresey
Brian - Relative to Ryan Gardner's question, "Is a bag with 1" of synthetic loft equally warm when compared to a bag with 1" loft of down? I answered his question using ASTM, ...

September 24, 8:00pm

Re: Loft...
The short answer is "generally not". A high quality 800 fill down bag provides up to 63% more warmth per inch than the AVERAGE synthetic insulated bag. The BEST synthetic insulation on th...

September 20, 7:13pm

Re: Re: Re: Renewing DWR coating - argh!? - Richard
Sven - Yes. First, wash the garment with a non-detergent soap. Second, wash the garment with a DWR solution. It is important for you to go someplace with a dryer after you use the wash-in DWR a...

In GEAR » Renewing DWR coating - argh!?
September 20, 11:37am

Re: Renewing DWR coating - argh!?
Sven - Nikwax is a wax based DWR and doesn't require heat setting. McNett is a fluorocarbon based DWR and requires medium heat setting for about 45 minutes to coat the fibers. They work equ...

In GEAR » Renewing DWR coating - argh!?
September 20, 10:52am

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm