BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 1201 - 1210 of 1562 | Page: 1 ...112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 ...157

Forum » Thread

Re: R1 hoody, Cloudveil Hoody and Ragged Mountain Hoody
EJ - My guess is that the Cloudveil and Ragged Mountain are approximately equivalent garments. I would have to see a Couldveil to be sure. My only issue with the Ragged Mountain is that they didn&#...

In GEAR » The best clothing combinations for backpacking or hiking?
September 10, 8:08pm

Re: R1 Hoody Temperature Range
Bill - If you are hiking relatively level ground at a moderate pace, it is comfortable from about 70F Down. If you are backpacking with a 21 - 42 lb pack through mountainous terrain, then is comfor...

September 10, 12:14pm

Re: different types of power stretch blends; R1 or power stretch hoody - which more versatile?
EJ - 1) The Power Stretch composition and thickness both matter for your unique chosen application: Style: 7416 The smooth, tightly constructed 160 denier Cordura nylon face provides superi...

September 10, 11:34am

Re: 1) R1 Hoody versus Powerstretch Hoody 2) Good merino hoody at same weight
Mountainwalker - Power Dry comes in three basic weights of light (3.1 oz/yd2), medium (5.1 oz/yd2), and heavy (6.3 oz/yd2). Power Stretch is available in 6.7 oz/yd2, 7.2 oz/yd2, and 7.3 oz/yd2. My ...

September 09, 10:52pm

Re: How do you get tree sap out of merino wool?
I used white gas in the field.

In GEAR » How do you get tree sap out of merino wool?
September 09, 12:36pm

Re: Re: bandana
I also like my Tiley; it is a LT model with the mesh grid along the top perimeter. By rolling my bandana and placing it inside along the mesh rim, I am able to turn my hot weather hat into an insul...

In Multiple Use Gear » Sarongs, Bandannas, and 'Head tubes'
September 06, 6:53pm

Re: Various clo questions, mostly for Richard
Jaiden - MET values are available at for almost all activities. Just pick a number from this data base MET Database I answered your clo calculation question in a prior post answering another...

September 06, 9:03am

Re: I don't have a CLO what this means!
Bill - Clo is the insulation provided. Clo is normally used for clothing insulation because it is relatively easy for people to understand that 1 clo is the warmth provided by a mens business su...

September 06, 8:40am

Re: Re: Also confused
Matt F. - I agree with you that 99.9% of hikers don't know the clo values of their gear and don't care. I would love to understand why they don't care. I suspect that it is because t...

September 06, 8:09am

Re: Also confused
Johnathon R - Q: Where are the clo values coming from? A: For street clothes, the ISO 9920 data base. For technical base layers, the ISO 9920 formula for determining the clo value from the body...

September 06, 7:59am

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm