Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 1201 - 1210 of 1662 | Page: 1 ...112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 ...167

Forum » Thread

Re: thanks
Michael, There is no good single source for the comparative clo/oz of various types of down that I am aware of. I have distilled secondary research from a very large number of scientific papers ...

In GEAR » Primaloft improves - press release
March 05, 11:23pm

Re: Clo Values
Ross, As an UL backpacker, I assume that the primary clo metric you are interested in is clo/oz: -The now discontinued Polarguard Delta is .68 clo/oz. -Standard down (550 fill power) is .70 cl...

In GEAR » Primaloft improves - press release
March 05, 9:05pm

Re: Korkers Torrent
John, Thanks for the feed back. I thought with the packrafting interest on this site, there would be more volunteer testers for dual mode shoes than just you and me. I am thankful that I have at...

In Fishing » Korkers Torrent
February 28, 10:09pm

Down - One right answer and one wrong answer
Derek - You said, "I don’t have figures but my guess is that very light down 800FP will on average collapse more under imperfect conditions than heavier stiffer? 500FP". The higher the ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Climashield quilt thickness vs temperature
February 28, 3:22pm

Re: Re: Hiking/wet wading shoe tests
I placed one quart of water, in a Zip-loc, and then inserted it into the avg size 11 shoe to test the sole friction on a highly polished sheet of HDPE. For the wet test I floated the shoe in a tub ...

February 28, 1:47am

Re: CLO/oz for down
Elliot, You asked, "Anyone know how many cubic inches per oz of 550 FP down (or other fill powers) one can get under real conditions?" The answer is that it averages 484.3 FP under rea...

February 27, 8:57pm

Re: Slide Lake Loop - Frontenac P.P.
Steve, Very well formatted and interesting report!

In Post-Trip Reports » Slide Lake Loop - Frontenac P.P.
February 24, 8:44am

Re: Testing Protocol
John, Since you and I will write up our subjective experiences and post them to this thread, hopefully others will follow suit. I back country fly fish, sea kayak, white water kayak, and pack...

February 23, 5:52pm

Re: Climashield quilt thickness vs temperature
Elliot, 50F requires ~ 3.88 avg. clo per the EN 13537 standard. Note that this is for the average 30 yr old male, wearing long underwear, and using a pad with insulation equivalent to a Thermare...

February 22, 8:57pm

Re: Joshua Tree trip report
Douglas, Thanks for sharing your trip experience with us. Very interesting and well written!

In Post-Trip Reports » Joshua Tree, Ca. 40 miles, 2/16-2/17/08
February 20, 8:04pm

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm