Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Vick Hines (vickrhines) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Central Texas
About Me 2X AT thruhiker
Author of How to Make Your Own Lightweight Camping and Hiking Gear
Builder of solo canoes
Compulsive builder of yondering gear of all kinds.
CityAustin
StateTexas
CountryUnited States

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Vick Hines

Showing 121 - 130 of 1034 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...104

Forum » Thread

Re: Ti windscreen
Mike, nice job. You can work Ti easily if you keep it heated to red. That's a little tricky, but if it is bent cold, it will fail on the bend eventually. Bent hot, it will not.

In Make Your Own Gear » Snow Peak windscreen weight reduction!!
September 14, 2:44pm

Re: Combined order for green cuben - Anybody want some?
4 yds, 0.51 oz. Vick Hines

In Make Your Own Gear » Combined order for green cuben - Anybody want some?
September 14, 2:38pm

Re: spectra fishing line for thread?
You might want to test Spectra's elasticity (almost none) against whatever fabric you would sew with it. In applications that repeatedly stress seams, it seems better to match or approximate th...

In Make Your Own Gear » spectra fishing line for thread?
June 02, 5:42pm

Re: Father/son getting started
I recommend that scouts use tarps with mosquito nets instead of tents because of the skills that come into play in setting up a tarp for prevailing conditions. Regarding ants, this is from a paper...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Father/son getting started
May 14, 2:29pm

Re: Preferred Wine Bladders?
All the boxed wine bladders I have seen used press-fit valves that must be jerked out of a collar then pressed back in. However, I have used them quite a bit with no failures so far. There seems ...

In GEAR » Preferred Wine Bladders?
May 09, 5:51pm

re: Air tight fabric
You might consider using separate inner bladders. Then you could make the outer shell using standard cut'n stitch techniques and construct the bladders of readily available vinyl or polyurethan...

In Make Your Own Gear » Need some fabric ideas
May 09, 5:37pm

Re: Organic Ultralight Anyone?
Yes. I have made a nice pack of all cotton marine duck, but it weighs 2 pounds. Balloon cotton would probably get it under 1 pound, but I have not been able to find it. The hemp canvas I have found...

In Make Your Own Gear » Organic Ultralight Anyone?
May 09, 5:28pm

Re: Stinky Pack
1. Don't take it to a car wash. The high pressure can delaminate the polyurethane coating whether you use detergent or not. 2. McNett's Mirazyme was developed for deodorizing wetsuits ...

In GEAR » Stinky Pack
April 23, 11:20am

Re: Arm and Hammer tooth powder
I ordered it from the Arm and Hammer web site a few years ago. Agreed, it is a great product. But it does have a scent, so plain baking soda may be safer in bear country.

In GEAR » Dr Bronner's or Baking Soda?
April 16, 2:47pm

Re: Weights of 40D and 70D silnylon
30D is 1.1 oz/yd2 before coating and 1.3 to 1.4 after coating. So the 1.4 oz may have been the distributer just being carefully honest about the weight. 70D is about 1.9 oz before coating and 2...

In Make Your Own Gear » Weights of 40D and 70D silnylon
April 09, 4:40pm

All Reader Reviews by Vick Hines

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Nike Free Trail 5.0
Summary: A light moccasin with a good sole and no heel counter. The shoe encourages full use of foot and ankle, improves balance and control, and strengthens the foot and ankle. The low profile sole r...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
May 12, 4:17pm

Golite Trail Fly and Tail Spike
Two pairs of Golite shoes self-destructed within 70 miles on the AT. The first pair (Trail Fly) failed after 66 miles. The fake ripstop fabric over the toe section cracked with repeated flexing (an...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
May 08, 8:16pm