BPL Community Profile

Pete Staehling (staehpj1) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Pete Staehling hasn't told us about their geographical region yet.
About Me Pete Staehling has not added a biography yet.
CityBaltimore
StateMD Maryland
CountryUnited States

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Pete Staehling

Showing 121 - 130 of 354 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...36

Forum » Thread

Sawyer
A couple things about your Sawyer comments... 1. The squeezing is pretty easy, but not even necessary. 2. It works fine as a gravity filter. 3. In my experience the bags, even the first ones, ...

In GEAR » Gravity filter vs. Aqua Mira: The age-old question
June 20, 12:47pm

Pillows
I tried a bunch and wound up preferring the medium Exped Air Pillow. The Cocoon looked promising on paper, but was terrible in practice as were most inflatables, for me at least.

In GEAR » Best lightest pillow recommendations
June 18, 6:31am

Essentials
Regarding these essentials... They may be desirable, but how essential can something be that was invented only a little over 100 years ago. es·sen·tial /iˈsenSHəl/ Adjective Absolutely...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Aron Ralston and the Ten Essentials
June 17, 4:35am

Ten Essentials
Consider that our species evolved and survived without 8 of the classic ten essentials and was lucky if they had the other two (spare food and spare water) some of the time. Given that, I skip sev...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Aron Ralston and the Ten Essentials
June 16, 3:58pm

Re: Lightweight bug protection options under a tarp that don't include a bivy?
What is it about bivies that you don't like? Would an all mesh bug bivy work for you? They are pretty light (5-6 ounces) and feel much more open than a regular bivy. You can sleep on top and...

In GEAR » Lightweight bug protection options under a tarp that don't include a bivy?
June 16, 5:36am

Bivy
I have done a month long and a 9 day (bicycle) trip using an REI bivy and it worked out OK. It was kind of heavy and pretty sticky inside if and bugs forced me inside on a hot night. I managed th...

In GEAR » New to the bivy world. Looking for advice and tips!
June 15, 2:22pm

Must have been a different Nescafe
I tried some individual serving Nescafe packets and found them pretty awful. I do not recall the specific product name on the package.

In GEAR » how to cut coffee weight
June 13, 12:44pm

Yes
Yes I have and have used some thrift store stuff for bicycle touring and backpacking. Nothing in my current rotation is from a thrift store though. While not from a thrift store, I do use a kay...

In GEAR » Thrift stores.
June 13, 12:41pm

Eggs
I recently had a chance to eat powdered eggs from Honeyville and they were not too bad. I also had some Rancher's Cut freeze dried scrambled eggs recently and really like them especially wit...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » dried eggs or freeze dried? Need some advice for a good choice/flavor
June 13, 7:43am

At what temp do you forego sleeping-specific insulation entirely?
I don't think I have ever been on a trip of any length where there wasn't a reasonable chance for a cold night. I have slept without anything over me for a night here or there, but even wh...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » At what temp do you forego sleeping-specific insulation entirely?
June 12, 5:41pm

All Reader Reviews by Pete Staehling

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Thermarest Neo-Air
I love my NeoAir (size regular). It is light, comfy, and packs small. I agree that for the price a patch kit should be included, but I don't miss the stuff sack. I have been using a ziploc ba...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 23, 12:04pm