BPL Community Profile

Pete Staehling (staehpj1) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Pete Staehling hasn't told us about their geographical region yet.
About Me Pete Staehling has not added a biography yet.
CityBaltimore
StateMD Maryland
CountryUnited States

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Pete Staehling

Showing 121 - 130 of 362 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...37

Forum » Thread

Video
That video shows what I was awkwardly trying to describe, but much more clearly. Good luck sorting out what works best for you.

In GEAR » PCT Bear Bag Hang
June 24, 4:18pm

Audio books
"Is there anyone who use MP3 audio books instead of reading ebooks?" Yes I have on multi week and multi month bicycle tours. I used an older model iPod Shuffle and later my phone. I ...

In GEAR » eBooks for the Trail
June 24, 7:55am

Really?
The reference to having to pull all the line through a clove hitch is bogus in the case of tying it on a stick. You throw the two loops and put the stick through. The clove hitch is actually easi...

In GEAR » PCT Bear Bag Hang
June 24, 5:11am

Warmth
I would have said a bit more than 5 degrees are added by the bivy, but it probably depends on how windy it is and how well sheltered you are. I do know that when cowboy camping on top of the bivy,...

In GEAR » When is a bivy sack necessary?
June 24, 4:54am

Non-essential
- whistle: I am 62 years old and have never used/wanted/needed a whistle despite spending a large portion of my life in the woods in one outdoor pursuit or another. - fire starter: I carry a str...

In GEAR » Missing "essential" items: backup light, whistle, and fire starter
June 22, 7:09am

Just another tool
GPS is just another tool. I figure that it is worth taking and using when the smart phone is going any way or when it is lighter than the maps and guide books it replaces. If you are somewhere ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Is GPS All in Our Heads?
June 21, 8:41am

Cuben fiber remnants?
I want to try working with Cuben on some small projects like stuff sacks and what not before investing much. Anyone have any left over pieces they will let go for a reasonable price?

In Make Your Own Gear » Cuben fiber remnants?
June 21, 7:35am

Re Sawyer
"What happens if the temp drops below freezing, which can happen 365 days of the year in the high Sierra?" In my opinion probably nothing. It sounds to me as if damage is possible fro...

In GEAR » Gravity filter vs. Aqua Mira: The age-old question
June 20, 1:32pm

Sawyer
A couple things about your Sawyer comments... 1. The squeezing is pretty easy, but not even necessary. 2. It works fine as a gravity filter. 3. In my experience the bags, even the first ones, ...

In GEAR » Gravity filter vs. Aqua Mira: The age-old question
June 20, 12:47pm

Pillows
I tried a bunch and wound up preferring the medium Exped Air Pillow. The Cocoon looked promising on paper, but was terrible in practice as were most inflatables, for me at least.

In GEAR » Best lightest pillow recommendations
June 18, 6:31am

All Reader Reviews by Pete Staehling

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Thermarest Neo-Air
I love my NeoAir (size regular). It is light, comfy, and packs small. I agree that for the price a patch kit should be included, but I don't miss the stuff sack. I have been using a ziploc ba...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 23, 12:04pm