BPL Community Profile

Scott Bentz (scottbentz) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me I live in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. I can get to a lot of nice hiking areas right from my street or travel for 15 minutes to higher elevations in the Angeles National Forrest. I started packing again with my sons in their Boy Scout troop. I was definitely not light that first trip 6 years ago and have been reducing my pack weight ever since. I mainly pack a few times a year in the Eastern and Western Sierras.
My PDF Gear ListNorth Lake South Lake 2012

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Scott Bentz

Showing 121 - 130 of 432 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...44

Forum » Thread

UL Course
I got a crew ready to go to Philmont a few years ago. I was especially concerned about the adults. First, I gave a little intro. as to what going lightweight means and then showed the DVD Light...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Suggestions for ways to teach a ul course for scouts ?
May 12, 6:27pm

Lightweight at Philmont
Sean, We went 2 years ago. I started in January with a rundown including the video "Lighten Up". My main reason to get everyone to go lightweight was for the leaders. One of the leader...

In Philmont » Pilmont 2011 8/1/11--8/13/11
November 02, 5:45pm

Mission accomplished
I had a similar experience this summer. My son and took my wife and 2 daughters along this time on our trip. My wife was blown away by the scenery up to the Kaweah Gap and also at the difficulty of...

In Post-Trip Reports » Yosemite: Panorama Trail, October 8th – 10th, 2010.
October 18, 4:06pm

New List
Dan, What you have is a traditional list for backpacking. In order to drop your pack weight you need to rethink some of your packing decisions. Going lighter really is a learned skill. There are...

In Gear Lists » New list
October 12, 11:37am

Peanut Butter
I have tried most of the above options. I have had success rolling the PB out on a piece of wax paper and then rolling it up and then folding the ends over. Then into a Ziploc. This method works ni...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Peanut butter lovers - what do you carry it in
October 05, 3:34pm

Sequoia
Chris, This is a beautiful place to hike. We did a week leaving from Wolverton trailhead (Crescent quota was full) on to the High Sierra Trail. We hiked over the Kaweah Gap, which is a tough slo...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Sequoia Backpacking
October 04, 6:31pm

Dinkey Lakes
When I was there a few years ago we stayed at South Lake, Cliff Lake and Island Lake. Be sure to hike 3 Sisters. The views are incredible. If you hike up to Island Lake you can just cross country a...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Dinkey lakes Wildeness next weekend
October 01, 6:51pm

JMT LIst
Chris, There are a lot of nice packs out there. My Mariposa plus is older and does not have the curved stays, so, it's max comfortable load is about 25 lbs. I think I had 28 lbs. when I had ...

In Gear Lists » The "not-another-JMT-list" list
September 17, 12:40pm

"The "not-another-JMT-list" list"
But, it is a JMT list. I saw you will be changing your pack. There can be substantial savings there. I use Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus. I also had the Bearicade Weekender. We found we could get ...

In Gear Lists » The "not-another-JMT-list" list
September 15, 5:50pm

Going UL at Philmont
Manfred, Make sure you read up on all of the great Philmont information at the Scouting and Philmont Forum. We took a troop there a few years ago and this site was extremely helpful. As a troop ...

In Gear Lists » JMT Hike by Boy Scout
September 07, 3:57pm

All Reader Reviews by Scott Bentz

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

MSR MIOX
We used a MSR Miox on a trip with 9 people (Scouts). We got very spotty results and ended up playing with the unit more than we wanted. It seemed like the perfect solution but was not worth the wait. ...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
June 03, 5:04pm