BPL Community Profile

Ross Bleakney (rossbleakney) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Cascades
About Me Ross Bleakney has not added a biography yet.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Ross Bleakney

Showing 121 - 130 of 945 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...95

Forum » Thread

Re: Skis
I believe the big Fischers and Rossignols have a bit of camber, but that isn't true of all the big waxless skis. I have a pair of Alpina Lite Terrain skis that have very little (if any) camber....

In Editor's Roundtable » An Introduction to Nordic and Backcountry Ski Gear
December 14, 12:05pm

Re: Re: Re: double sleeping bag/quilt
My wife and I use the Penguin with hoods and a fleece groundsheet. If we were shopping now, we would probably get the Spoonbill. The Penguin is a bit roomier around the feet, but a bit heavier (not...

In GEAR » double sleeping bag/quilt
December 13, 5:42pm

Re: Re: An Introduction to Nordic and Backcountry Ski Gear
I agree Paul, a skinnier ski with a firm boot can work really well. A soft boot and a fat ski is a challenge. I have a pair of Rainiers as well, and use them with BC boots for a great all around No...

December 13, 8:30am

Re: All "SkiMo" gear is basically the same weight...
Jonathan wrote: "It is a shame though that while racing improves nordic track/skate gear and AT gear, there's just no market for lightweight efficient nordic backcountry gear. I still en...

December 12, 11:14pm

Re: An Introduction to Nordic and Backcountry Ski Gear
Excellent article. When I describe Nordic and backcountry ski gear, I start by comparing it to biking. You can get a road bike or a mountain bike or a bike that is something in between. You can put...

December 12, 10:58pm

Re: More firm slpg pad
Have you tried Thermarest (or other) self inflatable pads? My wife didn't like the NeoAir, so she still uses her Thermarest ProLite.

In GEAR » More firm slpg pad
December 07, 7:02pm

Re: fleece pants
I bought a pair of fairly heavy full zip fleece pants which I use in the winter. I managed to find them on sale at a used outdoor clothing store. I love them. Because they are fleece, they breathe ...

In GEAR » fleece pants
November 26, 2:16pm

Re: crampons for non technical people - choices
I've used YakTrax and have been happy with them. My friends carry Microspikes, which obviously have better traction, but I've never felt like I needed them. I'm pretty snow savvy, thoug...

In GEAR » crampons for non technical people - choices
November 26, 2:06pm

Re: re: Wind Breaker that doubles as a Rain Coat?
I've used a Propore jacket/pants as a wind shirt and it worked fine. The biggest problem was that I used the Propore as a bug suit. For regular hiking, I usually hike in a T-Shirt, so I don'...

In GEAR » Wind Breaker that doubles as a Rain Coat?
November 25, 6:15pm

Re: re: F1s
I'll admit I've never skied with a Telemark boot (or a plastic boot that has a bellows). But from what I've seen, it seems like it has a distinct advantage over Randonee boots (which I ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Tools for Human Powered Oversnow Travel - State of the Market Report
November 23, 9:44am

All Reader Reviews by Ross Bleakney

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear
Another GG review, another five out of five. This time, I broke a pole section (the lower part, or tip). It was my fault (I stepped on it) and not the fault of the pole. A call to customer support (I&...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
August 25, 12:11pm

Ultrapod Mini
I am very happy with my Ultrapod Mini. It does what is supposed to do very well. You often have to be resourceful with it; but with a little imagination, you can take great pictures. For example, if y...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
July 04, 7:38pm

Pentax Optio WP
I very much like my Optio WPi (6 mp). I have found the waterproof feature to be of much greater value than I originally expected. For winter pictures, it is really handy to set up a picture and not wo...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
July 04, 7:13pm

Eureka Zues II Exo
I bought this tent a few years ago, before I knew about tarp tents. I have been happy with it, but it is a little smaller and heavier than a tarp tent. As a free standing tent, it is more round, which...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
August 14, 3:13pm