BPL Community Profile

Rick M (rmjapan) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Tokyo, Japan
About Me Rick M has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rick M

Showing 121 - 130 of 865 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...87

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Hood
Kewl! 7oz for the this BD Alpine Start seems pretty light for what looks to be ~40D fabrics! About the same as the RAB Alpine that uses 20D Pertex.

In GEAR » Current UL windshirts and breathability: are there other options and layering techniques?
February 11, 7:35pm

Re: Black Diamond Crag Softshell
In practice, NO. Too heavy and hold to much moisture over multi-day hikes. These types of jackets are best for done-in-a-day ski trips or ice/rock climbing where abrasion resistance is needed and t...

In Winter Hiking » Black Diamond Crag Softshell
February 10, 6:36pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: How did I get so heavy? Late Aug JMT solo
@Craig sez, "My advice would be to stop worrying about gear and put your energy into training prior to leaving. Regardless of the mileage you do per day, good training between now and August w...

In Gear Lists » How did I get so heavy? Late Aug JMT solo
February 09, 7:28pm

Re: Long term durability of Zpacks, Enlightened Equipment and Western Mountaineering bags/quilts
Franco, that was my extreme example of what is possible with Eddie Bauer and not something I might do or even recommend others do. As adults we all have developed our own moral compasses and I made...

In GEAR » Long term durability of Zpacks, Enlightened Equipment and Western Mountaineering bags/quilts
February 09, 6:51pm

Re: Re: How did I get so heavy? Late Aug JMT solo
Yeah, I really don't see the practicality of trying to shave even more weight and having to spend big $$$ for even more fragile kit for the privilege. It's just a number on a spreadshee...

In Gear Lists » How did I get so heavy? Late Aug JMT solo
February 09, 5:29pm

Re: Long term durability of Zpacks, Enlightened Equipment and Western Mountaineering bags/quilts
If longterm durability is a primary concern, best "protect" your investment with a bag from Eddie Bauer. Fairly lightweight shells, top quality water resistant down, state of the art desi...

In GEAR » Long term durability of Zpacks, Enlightened Equipment and Western Mountaineering bags/quilts
February 09, 5:09pm

Re: Capilene 4 hoody
The Cap 4 hoody worn as NTS base and the Piton Hybrid fleece jacket has been my core "action" top layers all Winter. Add the Houdini or Marmot Ether for additional windblock for all but o...

In GEAR » Patagonia Expedition 4 knock-off
February 09, 4:27pm

Re OR Halogen
Always wanted to try an Atom LT but could never get past the Arc'teryx price of entry. But I just scooped up a similar concept OR Halogen when I saw it on STP for $71. It won a 2013 Outside Gea...

In GEAR » Fall 2014 Arcteryx Sneak Peak
February 08, 5:36pm

Re: Re: Westcomb Crest Hoody
Had to look this one up because the Westcomb website is so crappy and only redirects you to "shop" for in stock products only. Outta stock, outta luck. No way to just browse a catalog of ...

In GEAR » Current UL windshirts and breathability: are there other options and layering techniques?
February 07, 8:33pm

Re: Golite Z30 Sizing?
Both sizes are SOLD OUT and Golite will probably rework the specs for the 2014 Summer season. But FWIW, a long/wider quilt is always the better choice for most men of average build or larger.

In GEAR » Golite Z30 Sizing?
February 07, 5:42pm

All Reader Reviews by Rick M

Rick M has posted no reviews.