BPL Community Profile

Richard Lyon (richardglyon) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Bridger Mountains
About Me I backback most frequently in the Rockies, and most often take three-day trips. Over the past fifteen years I've served as a Forest Service volunteer in Wyoming and Montana, doing trail maintenance. As I get older I'm always looking for ways to lighten my pack load but I'm far from ultralight. I especially like base camp trips, with day hikes from a fixed camp.
CityBozeman
StateMontana
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Lyon

Showing 121 - 130 of 779 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...78

Forum » Thread

One quilt for all conditions
Veronique, I agree with Chris that there is no one-size-fits-all-temperatures quilt. That said, a Nunatak Back Country Blanket is a remarkably versatile sleeping quilt. Like you, I am a cold ...

In GEAR » My first quilt - one quilt, all seasons, room to move
January 08, 7:47pm

Yellowstone 2013
If the Bechler is part of the route, I strongly recommend early September at the earliest. The southwest corner of the Park is the lowest point in the Park and is boggy and buggy through August. An...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Alaska, Yellowstone, and awesome group trips for 2013! Let's plan now!
January 06, 7:49am

Where the Waters Divide
Please send me this. I'll PM an address. Richard

In Gear Swap » PIF: Books
January 02, 7:22pm

Hiking in the Northern Rockies
Bradford, Three books by Bill Schneider, a founder of Falcon Press, should help you find the perfect trip. The titles of Hiking Yellowstone National Park and Hiking Grand Teton National Park are...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Teton Crest Trail
January 02, 8:34am

Bechler River trail
Kevin, you are right; I misspoke, Bechler River is in the southwestern corner of the park. I believe that the Bechler is catch and release only. Not sure about Boundary Creek and Shoshone Creek, tw...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Alaska, Yellowstone, and awesome group trips for 2013! Let's plan now!
January 02, 8:21am

Nunatak quality
Having owned, used, and praised Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends, and Nunatak for many years, I wouldn't distinguish among them. Top quality workmanship from all. Because of its use of...

In GEAR » Nunatak craftsmanship compared to other bag makers?
January 02, 8:10am

Yellowstone 2013
The Thorofare is considered one of the top cutthroat trout fisheries in the world. The other two routes I suggested, Gallatin Skyline and Teton Crest have little fishing. The Bechler River trail in...

January 01, 7:17pm

How about Montana?
Jennifer, My New Year's resolution last year was to move to the mountains. Some of the reasons were different than yours, but it was time to make a move. I chose Bozeman, Montana, and after ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » So....how do you all feel about Oregon??
January 01, 1:49pm

Tent for you and the kids
You may find you want more room than you think with one or two small kids, who tend to scatter. I'd consider a TT Hogback (though it's a bit over your stated price range), which is at capac...

In GEAR » Tent Advice
January 01, 1:25pm

Email sent
Nate, sent you an email. Richard

In Gear Swap » WTB lightweight 3 season sleeping bag/quilt
January 01, 8:47am

All Reader Reviews by Richard Lyon

Showing 1 - 10 of 18 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Introduction to Packrafting September 2009
A great way to spend three days, and a great course. Four instructors for eight students (difficult to improve on that ratio), all of them knowledgeable, friendly, and good at instructing. Great scen...

In 2 - BACKPACKING LIGHT WILDERNESS TREKKING SCHOOL
December 10, 9:45am

Nunatak Alpinist
I don't doubt what the other reviewers have said, and I'd be upset at not getting what I expected after paying custom prices. My experience has been just the opposite, however. I have sever...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
April 13, 8:30am

Feathered Friends Customer Service
FF's customer service has been exemplary. I've bought two bags and a down jacket over the years (and sale stuff for others) and the telephone reps have gone out of their way to help. Most rece...

November 07, 3:55pm

Mountain Gear
My only problems with Mountain Gear are website-related. I've had gear shipped to the wrong address and once or twice been unable to complete an order online. But it's easy to get a live (and ...

November 07, 3:45pm

Exped Downmat 7
Drawbacks - You need to inflate it with its bellows, and (1) the bellows will slip off the port for inflation very easily; (2) it's tough to close the port after inflating without losing some infl...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
October 04, 9:37pm

Patagonia
Everything I've ever purchased from Patagonia has been high quality and functional, and I've been buying for years and years. On the few occasions when I've had a question or a problem, Cu...

July 31, 9:22am

Backcountry.com
Backcountry.com shows how customer service should be in the Internet era. A human being is easy to reach on orders and comes back with informed answers on technical questions. Free shipping on orders ...

March 31, 12:19pm

Rainy Pass (Gear Repair)
I have used Rainy Pass for repairs (torn mesh, zippers) and customization (adding windows to tents. Each time I have received knowledgable advice and an accurate (and reasonable) quote from a telephon...

March 31, 12:12pm

Wild Things Gear Customer Service
I don't doubt Joan's report - bad things occasionally happen even with great companies - but I'm surprised because my experience has been just the opposite. Latest experience is a good exa...

March 24, 1:57pm

SteepandCheap.Com SteepandCheap.Com
If you find something you need or just have to have the prices can't be beat. I recently skied with someone who works for backcountry.com (owns SAC) who said that its prices are lower than what an...

March 21, 1:44pm