BPL Community Profile

Richard Gless (rgless) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me Richard Gless has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Gless

Showing 121 - 130 of 321 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...33

Forum » Thread

Freeze dried Ham in foil pouches
Thanks to everyone for their input. The #10 tin looks attractive pricewise, but since I'll only do 2-3 ham based meals a summer, it's a bit of overkill. I'll try the low sodium spam i...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Freeze dried Ham in foil pouches
June 11, 1:04pm

Freeze dried Ham in foil pouches
A long time ago you could get freeze dried ham in foil pouches. I've seen it in bulk, but haven't seen it in 2-4 oz packets for a long time. Does anyone have a source for freeze dried h...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Freeze dried Ham in foil pouches
June 09, 11:58pm

What use is a big, center mesh pocket on your pack to you?
My Mariposa has full size net pocket on one side and a lower and and upper side net pocket on the other side. After years of experimentation and evolution I use the full size side net packet for m...

In GEAR » What use is a big, center mesh pocket on your pack to you?
June 09, 11:55pm

Clasps for Ti Foil wind screen for small pot
Someone else suggested old fashioned woman's hairpins in an old BPL thread. They weigh essentially nothing. Works for me.

In Make Your Own Gear » Ti Foil screen for small pot
May 18, 5:42pm

Tent materials in hail
I spent a couple hours in my Tarptent Cloudburst in heavy pea size hail in the Sierras a few years back. No problems.

In GEAR » Tent materials in hail
May 07, 8:36pm

sunglasses/glasses case?
If you're not comfortable with a MYOG out of padded packing material, you might take a look at REI. I found some very nice semi-hard to hard sided cases under 2 oz there. Another MYOG option ...

In GEAR » sunglasses/glasses case?
May 04, 12:33am

ZPacks Blast32 sold
The ZPacks Blast32 has been sold.

In Gear Swap » FS: TT Cloudburst, Zpacks Blast 32, Alite Camp Chair
April 30, 2:25pm

FS: Zpacks Blast 32
2008 vintage ZPacks Blast 32 - reduced to $135. See description in original post

In Gear Swap » FS: TT Cloudburst, Zpacks Blast 32, Alite Camp Chair
April 29, 5:20pm

Vango Banshee 200
The Vango Banshee 200 from the UK looks a lot like a Coleman Cobra. It's not clear whether the interior is all netting or not. It would be a nice tent if made in UL materials and the pole at ...

In GEAR » New Six Moon Designs Shelters....
April 28, 10:14pm

Wapama Falls Bridge repaired
I saw it in the SF Chronicle this weekend, but hadn't seen anything on BPL. Looks like the reserved permits for the early May weekend are pretty much booked already.

In Post-Trip Reports » Any backpacking area that is not wet/snowed out in the winter around Northern CA?
April 25, 1:21pm

All Reader Reviews by Richard Gless

Showing 1 - 10 of 14 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

ZPacks Hexamid solo tarp and HexaNet
Seeing the stars at night is one of my favorite parts of backpacking so I wanted a two wall tent, bug net inner and rain fly outer. My first solo UL tent attempt was a Eureka Solitaire ā€“ too hard...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
March 17, 11:37pm

ZPacks Hexamid Solo Tarp and HexaNet
Seeing the stars at night is one of my favorite parts of backpacking so I wanted a two wall tent, bug net inner and rain fly outer. My first solo UL tent attempt was a Eureka Solitaire ā€“ too hard...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
March 17, 11:22pm

Snow Peak LiteMax
Snow Peak LiteMax Stove I bought a Snow Peak LiteMax this spring (2009) to replace my MSR Pocket Rocket and have been really happy with it, having used it for about 20 days now. Pros: 1. W...

In Stoves - Canister
December 06, 11:20pm

Black Diamond Orbit
I saw this advertised in Backpacker Magazine (yes, I still subscribe. Every once in a while I find something useful), and thought Iā€™d check it out. I picked it up at REI since I was going on a hike ...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
May 08, 12:03am

Therm-a-Rest Neoair
I recently bought size small ThermaRest NeoAir Pads for both my wife and I. We were particularly interested in reducing pack weight while retaining or improving comfort. My wife went from a ThermaRe...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
May 01, 9:55pm

Merrell Chameleon Wrap GoreTex XCR
About twelve years ago as part of my journey to lighten my backpacking load I went from my second pair of Galibier Mountaineering boots (really heavy) to a pair of relatively lightweight Merrell leath...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
June 24, 10:03pm

Backpacking Light Ti Esbit stove
I've used my BPL Esbit stove for 2-3 day solo trips for two years now. I think its a great compromise of lightweight and efficiency. You do have to recognize the stove's limitations and use ...

In Stoves - Other
February 20, 11:34pm

Jack's R Better Mt. Rogers Quilt
I purchased the Jack's R Better Mt. Rogers Quilt in large part based on the review by Shane above. I'd been looking at the possibility of using a quilt to cut weight for some time, and when J...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
July 17, 12:37am

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
It's interesting how some products work for some people and not for others. I've tried the TorsoLite and the POE UberLite. They are just too short for me (I'm 5' 11"). On duff ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 01, 8:55pm

Zpacks Z1
I have to agree with all of Jonathan's comments. I bought this pack after seeing it mentioned on BPL and checking it out on the web. It only took about a week to arrive after I ordered it. ...

In Backpacks - Frameless
February 23, 10:26pm