Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 121 - 130 of 8135 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...814

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Are You in That 1%??
"I grew up in Taiwan where the very best high schools, universities, and research institutes are all public. Those who have the grades know they will get the best education and research resour...

In Chaff » Are You in That 1%??
January 19, 10:13pm

Re: Re: Re: Are You in That 1%??
"I like capital gains tax rates low to encourage savings by all" Yeah, that's good to encourage all to save, but, going back to the OP, most of the wealth is owned by a few so most...

January 19, 9:50pm

Re: UL Refrigerator
absorbant clay container. get it wet. evaporative cooling will make it colder. put your stuff inside. they used to do this. only gets it a little colder. must be some way to use something lig...

In Philosophy & Technique » UL Refrigerator
January 19, 9:07pm

Re: Re: Are You in That 1%??
NPR "The Takeaway" interviewed Eric Schoenberg of "Patriotic Millionaires" http://www.thetakeaway.org/story/obama-congress-rich-should-pay-more-taxes/ He's one of the U.S...

January 19, 11:57am

Re: re: electronics
I have camera, GPS, radio/mp3 player with earbuds, radio with speaker, wind gauge, thermometer, flashlight, cell phone. Sometimes I'm listening to radio, taking pictures, looking at GPS, oth...

In Philosophy & Technique » Do Electronics Really Belong in the Wilderness ? !
January 19, 11:00am

Re: Re: Best redwoods trip? Taking my 13 year old on a father daughter jaunt
pretty good guide http://www.redwoodhikes.com/ yeah, not a lot of long backpack hikes I like Prairie Creek Redwoods - I remember the time the wife and I were walking through campground, she g...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Best redwoods trip? Taking my 13 year old on a father daughter jaunt
January 19, 8:58am

Re: The Christmas Truce of WWI.
I've heard that story before, nice The officers were not happy the soldiers were having a truce

In Chaff » The Christmas Truce of WWI.
January 19, 8:44am

Re: Simple, Rugged, Dripless XUL Esbit Burner
I like how, as you're going through life, you see things as how they can be applied to making MYOG stuff : ) and nice description of how to do it...

In Make Your Own Gear » Simple, Rugged, Dripless XUL Esbit Burner
January 19, 8:36am

Re: Re: This thread is a great response to the "no knife crowd" here.
I have a Leatherman Micra I've wittled things with the knife before, like a a stopper for air mattress or "spoon". That knife is pretty sharp, although small. It also has a sci...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG on the trail
January 19, 7:47am

Re: pole length for duomid?
I use 0.433 poles 60 inches long for MYOG pyramid. If it gets pretty windy, like 30 MPH, it starts to bend a little, but nowhere near breaking. If you're mountaineering or camping in hu...

In GEAR » pole length for duomid?
January 18, 11:15pm

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.