Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Denis Hazlewood (redleader) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
About Me 75 years old. Started backpacking in the late 60's. Raced small sailboats for 20 years until I moved to Lake Tahoe in '83. Started backpacking again and upgraded my gear shaving 20lbs off my back. Began CARRYING A GOOD THING TOO FAR, a workshop for beginning backpackers in 1987. Hiking mostly in the northern Sierra, Lost Coast and Southern Cascades. Was introduced to lightweight backing by my friend and hiking partner, Donn Nibblett, and have experimented with alcohol stoves and, most lately, an ultralite titanium mulit-tool potty trowel.
CityPetaluma
StateCA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Denis Hazlewood

Showing 121 - 130 of 1222 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...123

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: What size of cooking pot do you use?
For solo trips I use the BPL Firelite SUL900, with Ti spoke bail handle. BPL Firelite SUL1100, with Ti spoke bail handle, when Susan's along.

In GEAR » What size of cooking pot do you use?
December 16, 12:39pm

Re:Spoon
Specifically the BPL long handled Ti Spoon. I also have a short one for use with the BPL FireLite SUL 550 pot.

In GEAR » Spork or spoon?
December 16, 12:25pm

Re: Re: Well, it seemed like a good idea
Re Bakepacker: I have one and used it for several years. Now I just carry an Evernew 400ml Ti cup and float it in a little water while it steam bakes my biscuits, cornbread or Betty Crocker Warm D...

In GEAR » Well, it seemed like a good idea...
December 13, 10:13pm

Re: Well, it seemed like a good idea
Alcohol stoves. I carried them for two years and went back to a Snow Peak Giga GS100A stove. Now I always have hot water. Don't know why anyone would bother with a spork. No good as a for...

In GEAR » Well, it seemed like a good idea...
December 13, 10:07pm

Re: Re: Re: not necesarily b-fast, but i hate oatmeal
'ceptfor my neighbors complaning I'd have a few yard birds.

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » The Ramen thread: How do you like yours?
December 13, 1:40pm

Re: Re: not necesarily b-fast, but i hate oatmeal
I've been told, by my local organic, free range, chicken & egg farmer, that if you don't wash or refrigerate eggs they will last for a couple of weeks. I have been buying eggs from them...

December 12, 9:58am

Re: Unwritten Rules of Backpacking with Buddies
Jay, I agree, farting in the woods is one very good reason to backpack in the first place.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Unwritten Rules of Backpacking with Buddies
December 11, 8:53pm

favorite gear of 2009
1. NeoAir in three sizes: Small, Medium and Regular. 2. Tarptent Sublite 3. WM Ultralight Overfill Thank whomever I'm still able to get out and use them. Life is good.

In GEAR » Your best gear of 2009
December 06, 8:53pm

Re: The Ramen thread: How do you like yours?
At home I crush it into small pieces and put it in a baggie with chicken bullion and some dehydrated, cooked, turkey. Sometimes I add some "Just Veggies", mixed freeze dried vegetables.

November 29, 10:03pm

Re: Water - How hot is hot enough?
I shut off the stove when a rolling boil is achieved. Never had a problem in the past 40 years.

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Water - How hot is hot enough?
November 29, 9:57pm

All Reader Reviews by Denis Hazlewood

Showing 1 - 8 of 8 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Complete Walker by Colin Fletcher
Brett, Is he any worse than RJ? I mean Corn Pasta? Did you ever try Corn Pasta? You should have seen all the Corn Pasta in the drop boxes at PCT mail drops just after he published the Corn Pasta b...

In Books and Media
February 14, 11:05pm

Martin Backpacker Guitar
James you're right-on for every point. I have a late '50s Martin 18G-00. It's a dream, but no way I'd haul an axe that heavy (and that valuable) into any canyon. My Backpacker too s...

In Miscellaneous Products
January 25, 6:20pm

LuxuryLight Modular External Frame Backpack
I had carried my LuxuryLight external frame backpack for the most of the 2005 season when I slipped and slid 8 feet down a creek bank. The pack frame took my 200 lb. load plus the 26lbs. in the pack....

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
January 24, 3:42pm

Big Sky Products Evolution 2P
On December 6, 2005 I ordered my Big Sky Evolution 2P tent. It was finally delivered on December 14, 2006. It took 373 days of badgering Bob Molen and I had just about given up hope of ever getting ...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
January 19, 6:03pm

Keebler Fudge Peanut Butt. filled cookies (like Reese's)
These get my 5/5 rating also. They are absolutly a stealth food. If the others find out you've got them you'll have to share. Peanut Butter and Chocolate. The only thing better is more.

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
January 15, 2:51pm

Sling-Light Chair w/ body and kneck rest
In 1986 I was wandering around in a local outfitters store and saw my first Sling-Light. I bought one with the optional headrest. The first time I carried it was on the Tahoe-Yosemite trail from Mee...

In Miscellaneous Products
December 15, 12:43pm

Big Sky International
On December 5, 2005 I ordered, and paid for, an Evolution 2P tent from Bob Molen. Bob has given me many promised delivery dates, the most recent on November 29, 2006, when Bob said he had the tent. ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 05, 12:47pm

LuxuryLite Gear Modular Frame Pack
I have just finished two backpack trips using the LuxuryLite Pack. Mine is the all carbon fiber model, with three extra large cylinders. I'm still learning how to pack the cylinders but I think ...

In Backpacks - External Frame
September 01, 4:34pm