Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

BPL email: roger@backpackinglight.com
CitySydney
StateNSW
CountryAustralia
My Website URLhttp://www.bushwalkingnsw.org.au/FAQ/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 121 - 130 of 10158 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...1016

Forum » Thread

Re: Warning - Cliff and His Ovens
Hi Kevin > how he set his lab ovens to 287.66274 degrees Fahrenheit Must't forget the 0.66274 F bit. :-) Sounds like 142 C. That's pretty hot for drying stuff? Cheers

In Editor's Roundtable » The Evolution of a Winter Stove - Part 5: Infra-Red testing
February 25, 9:17pm

Re: How research works!
Hi Cliff > My point was that the oven technique could have easily been done after the fact, Not sure about that. I seem to remember that John only had access to the camera for a day or so. ...

In Editor's Roundtable » The Evolution of a Winter Stove - Part 5: Infra-Red testing
February 25, 9:14pm

Re: could this vapour mesh actually do something ?
Hi Woubeir > one of the factors for creating vapour pressure in a closed container is the > largeness of the contact area between fuel as a liquid and fuel as vapor? True, it would be on...

In GEAR » has anyone tested the new Primus winter gas?
February 25, 6:41pm

Re: Re: Re: El Ninos vs La Ninas indicate cooling of Pacific ocean
Hi RogT > Here's a supersized plot of the 98 El nino vs solar activity I can guess the horizontal axis as being years, but what are the units on the vertical axis? I cannot see any labe...

In Chaff » The Carbon Flame War
February 25, 5:50pm

Re: Accurate Temperatures with IR
Hi Clifford > I am surprised that the temperature was not just pre-calibrated by placing the heat > transfer fin in an oven at a known temperature and adjusting the emissivity to get >...

February 25, 2:21pm

Re: Science!
> Does this hint at another run of stoves? That's being considered. I have a small list of names of people who want one if more ae made. But I don't want to have to buy another box of ...

February 25, 2:17pm

Re: Re: Help with titanium pots
Hi Sarah > Don't expect to be able to cook in a pot for 2 in under 1.3 Well ... that might be a little harsh. I use a 1.5 L ti pot for Sue and myself, and have been happy with it for the...

In GEAR » Help with titanium pots
February 25, 2:55am

Re: Re: Candle Stoves
Hi Dan and Jerry I saw a brief mention about candle stoves from Russell in a Forum thread and asked him to write it up. He did. I do not frequent YouTube so I have no idea of what name he was us...

In Editor's Roundtable » Candle Stoves
February 25, 2:49am

Re: Re: The Evolution of a Winter Stove - Part 5: Infra-Red testing
Hi Jerry > question how useful those IR sensor thermometers are. Must have the same problem of > the effect of emissivity? Yeah, the emissivity is going to upset things a bit. However...

February 25, 2:38am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Coal fired emissions
Hi RogT Thanks. Interesting stuff. Cheers

In Chaff » The Carbon Flame War
February 25, 2:29am

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm