BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

BPL email: roger@backpackinglight.com
CitySydney
StateNSW
CountryAustralia
My Website URLhttp://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 121 - 130 of 8999 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...900

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: A couple more from today
Hi Kat Feel free to bounce drafts and any Qs off me. I will be happy to help. Cheers

In Photography » Golden Eagle eating deer that mountain lion killed
March 03, 9:06pm

Re: HELP HELP HELP!!!
Most of what you are asking for can be fitted into one of two categories: 'dream on', or 'we don't carry that sort of stuff'. 'Best XYZ' is usually a matter of person...

In Gear Lists » HELP HELP HELP!!!
March 03, 8:58pm

Re: Updated Cat Curve Spreadsheet
> answers in feet, inches and 8ths of an inch. Sometimes, I pity America. But then I realise it is all self-inflicted. Cheers

In Editor's Roundtable » MYOG Technical Note - Catenary Curves
March 02, 10:44pm

Re: A couple more from today
Hi Kat Just plain amazing. Honestly. Now, where's that article you are going to write about trail cameras? Seriously! Cheers

In Photography » Golden Eagle eating deer that mountain lion killed
March 02, 10:37pm

Re: First aid
It's kinda relevant ... Sympathy

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » The only first aid kit you'll ever need
March 02, 10:32pm

Re: Hope your day went better than mine!!!
Our sympathy! Cheers (or as appropriate...)

In Chaff » Hope your day went better than mine!!!
March 02, 10:31pm

Re: How Do You Occupy Self during Evening/Downtime when Solo?
Common during winter. We sleep. Very relaxing. Having worked hard all day helps. Cheers

In Philosophy & Technique » How Do You Occupy Self during Evening/Downtime when Solo?
March 02, 7:17pm

Re: 1st 2 items in my kit
Roughly as Eric said: 1. TRAINING 2. Thinking I find Band-Aids and 3M Micropore tape can handle most injuries, WITH a bit of improvisation. Cheers

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What is your two item first aid kit?
March 02, 2:05am

Feeding Cones
If you don't mount a cone properly, you get problems. I took a block of wood and stuck a bit of dowel in the middle. I took a scrap of silnylon and impaled it on the dowel - to make a low-fr...

In Make Your Own Gear » My First Backpack.
March 02, 2:01am

Re: Gotta be the zips.
> When the wind is coming and going, temps can change frequently ... on the 4 loops > pass Colorado last year, the sun would hide behind clouds every 20 or 30 minutes > resulting in huge...

In GEAR » The crappiness of pit zips
March 02, 1:53am

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm