BPL Community Profile

Randy Martin (randalmartin) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado
About Me My primary pursuits are mountaineering (hiking with the goal of a summit) but I am beginning to re-kindle my love of Backpacking. In particular I have become a big fan of the Ultralight approach and love this website. I seem to be in a perpetual state of shelter/sleep system evaluation. My current setup for shelter is a GG SpinnTwinn with YMG Bug Bivy 1.0 (summer) or Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy(colder). Sleep system is Katabatic Chisos 40 degree quilt with Neoair short.
CityCastle Rock
StateCO
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Randy Martin

Showing 121 - 130 of 671 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...68

Forum » Thread

Re: Arc Blast vs. Blast
I own the Arc Blast and also own a frameless GoLite Jam. For me the Arc Blast carry's the same weight as my Jam but much more comfortably with a direct transfer to the hips. The Arc definitel...

In GEAR » Arc Blast vs. Blast
June 21, 8:38am

Re: getting closer
"Something on the lines of one of the air filled pillows WITH a soft surface on top, maybe the down idea OR something. Not sure. I may have to invent something, like the fella that used the...

In GEAR » Best lightest pillow recommendations
June 19, 11:52am

Re: Re: bivy @ Terry
"The solution is to get out a lot and figure out what works for each of us." The beauty of BPL forums is we get to build knowledge from the experience of others that do get a chance to...

In GEAR » When is a bivy sack necessary?
June 16, 8:31pm

Re: At what temp do you forego sleeping-specific insulation entirely?
Might want to check out this thread as well http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=78398 As I mentioned there, a 100% silk bag lin...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » At what temp do you forego sleeping-specific insulation entirely?
June 13, 4:25pm

Re: At what temp do you forego sleeping-specific insulation entirely?
Good question. I have been thinking about the same thing recently for an SUL setup for summer. It's pretty easy to experiment at home which is exactly what I have done. Presumably your home ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » At what temp do you forego sleeping-specific insulation entirely?
June 12, 4:53pm

Re: Hexamid vs. Cirraform
I don't have either one but having owned front and side entry shelters I can unequivocally say front entry shelters are terrible IMO. Advantage Hexamid.

In GEAR » Lightest fully enclosed shelter for one - complete tent or tarp + bug net?
June 11, 11:10pm

Re: Re: Re: Ordered mine
Yes, mine has the roll top. To me there isn't really much difference. The roll top has a velcro like closure then you roll it down. With a draw cord (like on my GoLite Jam) I roll it down af...

In GEAR » zpacks Arc Blast vs Blast? New packs?
June 06, 10:04pm

Re: Ordered mine
I just received mine a couple of days ago. It's the version just before he started seam taping but it does have the horizontal stabilizer at the top. I added one side pocket and one shoulder ...

In GEAR » zpacks Arc Blast vs Blast? New packs?
June 06, 8:11pm

Ahnu Elkridge
go tryout a pair of Ahnu Elkridge boots at REI. They are eVent and breath incredibly well, are fairly light for boots and are extremely comfortable. I own a pair and love them. Even better, they...

In GEAR » Lightweight Mid Hiking Boot
May 27, 9:20pm

I'll take it if still available
I'll take it if it is still available.

In Gear Swap » FS: JetBoil Sol Ti
May 27, 7:45am

All Reader Reviews by Randy Martin

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Gear Bristlecone (Regular Length, Wide Width)
I have had the Bristlecone Bivy for a year and really appreciate the side zipper for ease of entry/exit. The mesh is just right for breathability and views. The stake out loops are nice when you wan...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 15, 6:03pm

Marmot Atom
The bag is true to it's 40 degree rating and when I sleep with insulating layers on I have comfortably slept in this bag down to the upper 20's. If you are cold in this bag at 50 then I suspe...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 31, 1:59pm