BPL Community Profile

Frank Deland (rambler) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale On the AT in VA
About Me Frank Deland has not added a biography yet.
StateMassachusetts

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Frank Deland

Showing 121 - 130 of 770 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...77

Forum » Thread

poles
I have carried-on trekking poles inside mailing tubes with no problems. I was pulled out of line and questioned about the steri-pen. The fact that it was an empty tube, raised questions. On the r...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What can't you fly with? (domestic U.S. air travel)
October 04, 4:08pm

tumplines safe?
http://www.myccr.com/SectionForums/viewtopic.php?t=22396&highlight=tumpline Ouch! Like this, Bob? http://www.amtraders.com/pricing/rigging%20a%20canoe%20for%20portage.pdf

In Make Your Own Gear » Tumpline
September 24, 10:33am

combo rain and sleep gear
http://jakpak.com/home.aspx (No. I have never seen one, just this ad)

In Multiple Use Gear » combo rain and sleep gear
September 23, 10:24am

MLD Trailstar
"You need to look at the MLD Trailstar tarp. Great setup for both solo or more."

In GEAR » Recommendations on a tarp system
September 21, 7:46pm

lithium batteries for the cold
Try to find lithium batteries for your steri-pen. They work best in the cold. The same two batteries lasted the whole hike and beyond for me (14 days), but they were unavailable when I looked for ...

In Gear Lists » The "not-another-JMT-list" list
September 21, 6:09am

a few thoughts
Mattress: Over the long haul, I like having the extra softness of an air mattress over the z-rest. I also find I do not need a pillow with a full length BA. It is a pain, just using the air-sack...

In Gear Lists » Long Trail Thru
September 20, 11:52am

wow
Wow, you are a pro with the video. What time was the average sunset? How many hours a day/night did you hike? Could you hike in the night with only moon light? Those passes must have been cold ...

In Post-Trip Reports » John Muir Trail in the Fall
September 15, 11:03am

windshirt review
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/patagonia_houdini_windshirt_spotlite_review.html or maybe here: http://www.prolitegear.com/camp-magic-anorak.html

In GEAR » light colored windshirt?
September 15, 10:36am

Yosemite pine cones?
Pine cones in Yoemite? Here is one next to my size 11 shoe!

In GEAR » Lightheart Gear has Gone Cuben
September 14, 8:52pm

probably won't use
Here is what you most likely won't use....or won't take next time: WM Hot Sac (unless it's winter) wet tissue emergency poncho Frontier Pro filter pillow case trash bag (make o...

In Gear Lists » What am I doing wrong here?
September 08, 8:33am

All Reader Reviews by Frank Deland

Showing 1 - 10 of 10 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear
Ditto. When something is not in stock when you first look, just put your name on the -e-mail-when in stock list and they will let you know. They quickly and without questions replaced items that...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
September 21, 3:36pm

Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Pad
Very comfortable and a pillow not needed. But, you are not supposed to blow this up by mouth because moisture will get into the fill. So, there is a blow-up bag arrangement that does work, but it is ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 12, 8:44pm

GoLite Ultralite poncho/tarp
This Golite gear is made of a rugged silnylon. It has snaps to help shorten its length when worn as a poncho. It is useful to run a guide line over the top of it between the supporting poles to help...

In Clothing - Raingear
September 30, 7:45pm

Ray-Way 3-person tarp and net tent
Att: Mrs. EW! You do not need all that extra weight of overhead netting, plus you will have even more room under your tarp without it. Just add several inches of netting along the side edges, and ma...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
August 08, 10:10am

Superfeet Performance Green
I do not think superfeet are supposed to prevent blisters, unless because they help correct the fit, they, by chance, correct an area that might otherwise chaffe your skin. Also, cut off about 1/8 in...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
April 04, 12:09pm

Bushbuddy "Ultra" (BPL/Ryan Jordan/Arctic 1000 Version) Wood Stove
Note BD's final picture: the handles of the pot are directly over the opening that allows wood or fuel to be added to the stove when it is burning and the pot is ontop. When adding wood, I found ...

In Stoves - Other
March 30, 8:37pm

Montrail Vitesse
On my first pair, the coating wore off the toe top. The grey just pealed off leaving a white fabric. Also, the rubber on the front side separated from the side of the shoe. I repaired it with Shoe ...

January 05, 12:06pm

Merrell Mesa Ventilator II Cross-Training Shoes
Ditto. I am about to head to the REI nearest me where they are on sale for $57 (Jan. 5) It will be my second pair having switched over from the Montrial Vitesse (see above). I had avoided this shoe ...

January 05, 11:50am

Littlbug Wood Burning Stove Littlbug Junior
First, to find the website note that Little Bug is spelled with no "e". The efficiency of this stove amazed me. I have tried homemade versions of woodburners with little success, so I was ...

In Stoves - Other
December 12, 9:45am

Gossamer Gear Lightrek Plus Poles
Same as Phil Barton above. The tip broke off on the first day. I returned the pole, it was repaired at no cost and a spare basket and extra tip was also included. I had lost a basket as well as the...

In Trekking Poles
October 18, 2:18pm