Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 121 - 130 of 6682 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...669

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Typical weights?
"I do think, however, that a meal packaged in a vacuum sealed pouch will emit little to zero food odors to attract critters, whereas freezer bags can't make that claim." The proble...

In GEAR » vacuum bag sealer
March 29, 5:29pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Long-term water usage in California
"Don't you also put water back into aquifier rather than build a reservoir?" Not if you've already drained them and they collapse. Google "land subsidence".

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Sierra Snowpack 2015
March 29, 5:24pm

Re: Re: Long-term water usage in California
"You know someone in Sacramento is interested. They drink bottled themselves. But for the rest of us..." there is Aqua Pure from Hanford. A liter a day is guaranteed to turn you into ...

March 28, 7:37pm

Re: Re: Re: Fundamental Oneness
" It strikes me as "insider" language and I really have no idea what, specifically, you guys are talking about." If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand. ;0)

In Chaff » The basic math behind Christianity...
March 28, 5:30pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Long-term water usage in California
"Hey California! Got some water for you!" Guaranteed to contain your RDA of strontium 90, iodine 131, cobalt 60, and cesium 137.

March 28, 5:27pm

Re: Montane Terra venting
"1) Do the thigh vents work fairly well?" They work very well. I use Terras regularly on hot Sierra East Side approaches and the vents are very effective. "2) Any recommendat...

In GEAR » Stretch Zion but lighter?
March 28, 5:14pm

Re: Re: Re: "To Rain Jacket ... or ... Not to Rain Jacket"
"What I am implying in this thread is that some (many ?) on this site plan their gear on a best case scenario, and that's generally not a wise thing." You're wasting your time,...

In Philosophy & Technique » To Rain Jacket ... or ... Not to Rain Jacket
March 28, 5:00pm

Re: Re: "To Rain Jacket ... or ... Not to Rain Jacket"
"The extreme doesn't happen on hikes unless you live in areas where it is possible (again not what you are describing)." Which is just about everywhere in the mountains. "A...

In Philosophy & Technique » To Rain Jacket ... or ... Not to Rain Jacket
March 28, 4:58pm

Re: Montane terra
"Have a look at the Montane Terra trousers," +1 they're a great all around hiking pant, but especially good for the mountains.

In GEAR » Stretch Zion but lighter?
March 27, 8:10pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Long-term water usage in California
"Short and Long term the best idea is probably to move..." Exactly what I did some 30 years ago, for precisely this reason. It took longer than I thought to come to a crisis, but I...

March 27, 8:06pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm