Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
My Website URL
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 121 - 130 of 5800 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...580

Forum » Thread

Re: Gear changes
Richard, I haven't skied since 1973. Bindings were potential ankle breakers and skis were long and heavy. Plus it got too expensive to ski in California, not to mention too crowded. Most of my ...

In GEAR » Gentrified?
May 09, 9:50am

Re: fleece vs puffy
Like Paul, I am again using 100 fleece more often. It was a mainstay for me in the late 70's through 2008, when I joined BPL. After a few difficult trips trying to stay warm and dry with fewer ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Layering for Beginners
May 09, 9:36am

Re: Better techniques or skills for the rain?
A poncho is going to be the best rain garment because it has the most ventilation. A poncho isn't perfect because your arms are exposed most of the time and most ponchos are big and billowy. ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Better techniques or skills for the rain?
May 09, 9:28am

Re: single vs double wall tent confusion
I recently broke my 2 two year moratorium on reviewing gear in my blog, where I did a review of the new SMD Deschutes CF tarp. IMO, here is my definition of double wall tents from that review: ...

In GEAR » single vs double wall tent confusion
May 09, 9:19am

Re: Beanie - merino vs fleece?
My fleece beanie is warmer and more wind wind resistant than my merino wool beanies. It is also heavier. I take the one that best matches the conditions I expect on a specific trip.

In GEAR » Beanie - merino vs fleece?
May 09, 9:02am

what's the point?
Brett bought his trousers from REI under the old warranty, which was a 100% satisfaction guarantee. That meant if for any reason a customer was unhappy with a product, REI would replace it. Apparen...

In GEAR » Never buying from REI again
May 09, 8:59am

The Mature Market
I have been on BPL almost as long as Brett and and things have changed. BPL hasn’t been gentrified, the lightweight gear market has matured. BPL is a niche group in the backpacking universe. ...

In GEAR » Gentrified?
May 09, 8:45am

Re: Chess in the Backcountry
Craig, With your talent you could make a folding board and carve pieces all out of bamboo. On a camping trip a couple weeks ago, I began to teach my wife how to play. I can no longer beat my...

In GEAR » Chess in the Backcountry
May 03, 7:31pm

Re: Boxers that also work as shorts
I have been using 5" Patagonia Baggies with the liner cut out on most trips for over 30 years.

In Multiple Use Gear » Boxers that also work as shorts
May 03, 11:05am

Re: Denver local looking for experienced backpacking partner(s).
Paul, Now you know why some of us prefer solo hiking. When we started we couldn't find anyone to go with us. So we went alone. After a while, we figured out we like going alone anyway.

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Denver local looking for experienced backpacking partner(s).
May 03, 11:00am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am