Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Thomas Burns (nerdboy52) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."
About Me English professor at Ohio Wesleyan University, Director of Perkins Observatory

Words to live by: "Alas, poor Yogi. I knew him, Horatio. He was a bear of infinite appetite. So they shot him."

More words to live by: "Yeah, I'm a nerd. Want to make something of it . . . punk?" ;vD

Even more words to live by:
Solvitur ambulando.
"it is solved by walking."
St. Augustine
CityColumbus
StateOH
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListShoulder season gear list 2

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Thomas Burns

Showing 121 - 130 of 823 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...83

Forum » Thread

Stargazing with binoculars
>> just watch the entire sky without the aid of optics >Agree with Nick. No optics necessary when backpacking. Well, shoot, gents. I agree in principle. There's nothing better t...

In GEAR » Stargazing
July 31, 8:04pm

The bottom line, IMHO
Bless you, folks. I disagree with love and respect. The real diehards -- I am one of them, mind you -- around my observatory argue the niceties of manufacture and place of manufacture all the time ...

In GEAR » Stargazing
July 31, 7:31pm

Barska
They are the main marketeer and distributor for Japanese optics, mostly lens based. Their prices are the lowest in general that I can find. Stargazer PS. Added later. The point is that if you...

In GEAR » Stargazing
July 31, 4:44pm

WTT: BPL Thorfare shirts
I have three medium Thorofare shirts, two brand-new in the dark brown and one lightly worn tan. I'd like to trade them for smalls, either color. What can I say. I shrank. If anybody went in ...

In Gear Swap » WTT: BPL Thorphare shirts
July 31, 3:40pm

Consider a monocular
Just back from the trail. Barska makes a pretty decent pair of 42 mm binos. It was my pair of choice given the cost and weight. Since most branded binos are made in Japan by Barska (and a c...

In GEAR » Stargazing
July 31, 12:06pm

Stargazing
I combine my avocation (backpacking to those dark, dark, non-light-polluted skies with my vocation, astronomy. The combination is stargazing, which is why my trail name is . . . Stargazer

In Chaff » What are your other hobbies?
July 29, 5:00pm

Hydropel
A little goes a long way. A couple of weekends ago, I put a thin coat on my feet and then put on my toe socks and didn't take the socks off for the next 2.5 days of hiking and camping. For the ...

In GEAR » Hydropel alternatives
July 29, 2:09pm

Minimus vs. Trail Glove
It tried them both on at the shoe store, and ended up with the Trail Gloves. They have a thicker sole (9 mm) and a huge toe box. They provide no arch support, but that's the point. I prefer...

In GEAR » NB Minimus vs. Merrell Trail Glove
July 29, 10:38am

Nicotine Lozenges/ choco espresso beans
Okay, this is going to sound crazy, but I am a fan of the nicotine lozenges available at a pharmacy near you. They're pricy and addictive (literally), but nothing gives quite the boost of the 4...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » LW Candy!?
July 29, 10:26am

comma splices
I hate to break it to ye, mate. Those aren't comma slices, this is a comma slice. ;-) Syntactically yours, Sargent Stargazer, of the Delaware Grammar Police Edited to add the "Sar...

In Chaff » Could "have".... Not " of"
July 27, 7:32pm

All Reader Reviews by Thomas Burns

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

FlexAir Pillow Dual Compartment Ultralight
>I think I'll stick with my Wal-Mart water wing pillow, which is about a third the price, a little lighter, and just as comfy if wrapped in my fleece jacket. Yo, Michael. Always looking for ...

In Miscellaneous Products
October 11, 11:18am

Fanatic Fringe Thompson Peak
Ditto to the above review. I added a top compression cord by tying a short length of cord to the upper drawcord, looping it over the top, and connecting it to the lifting strap loop with a small carab...

In Backpacks - Frameless
May 14, 6:13am