BPL Community Profile

Mark Larson (mlarson) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southeast USA
About Me Lifelong student and nerd in general, currently working on the web. I have a bias for higher mileage and longer days on the trail. Most of my hikes are on the border of SUL & UL; I still weigh everything, but pretty much stopped using spreadsheets. I read all the time, blog less, and run a good bit.
CityAtlanta
StateGA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.mlarson.org

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mark Larson

Showing 121 - 130 of 338 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...34

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: UL Shorts w/ Pockets
I have a nice pair of Nike Dri-Fit baggy running shorts. They have 2 front seam pockets and a little key pocket on the rear waistband. The front pockets are large enough to fully conceal a hand and...

In GEAR » UL Shorts w/ Pockets
August 27, 1:39pm

Re: Re: cleaning trail running shoes?
Whenever I get a new toothbrush, I use the old one for these sorts of chores. A toothbrush does nicely for scrubbing spots here and there on shoes and packs and elsewhere. For huge messes, I'd just...

In GEAR » cleaning trail running shoes?
August 24, 10:25pm

Re: commentaires de liste de equipage
[digression]I'd just like to take this moment to thank all of the folks who participate on BPL who don't speak English as a first language. This bout of French has thrown me for a loop. I really ap...

In Gear Lists » Pack List for a Sierra High Route variation
August 24, 10:15pm

Re: Re: John Muir Trail (JMT) Record Attempt - Unsupported, Without Resupply
"In other words he's not so concerned with what the rest of us think, but rather than small group of people who are working on these record attempts." And rightly so. It sounds like quite a trip...

In Editor's Roundtable » John Muir Trail (JMT) Record Attempt - Unsupported, Without Resupply
August 23, 9:04pm

Re: Re: Marmot Ion Wind Jacket
Benjamin--I do find the Ion quite a bit more breathable than my old Ether [pre-HP version]. I have done comfortable jogging in 40-60F weather without overheating, and that's with the jacket zipped ...

In GEAR » Marmot Ion Wind Jacket
August 23, 8:50pm

Re: Re: Re: Sleep Cycles
Hey Aaron. Thanks for your comments--glad to hear it worked for your team, as far as those things go :) I know that AR and other endurance racers tend to ration sleep over the length of the course-...

In Gear Lists » JMT Un-resupplied
August 19, 9:12pm

Re: Re: Your favorite Wind Shirt?
It's a tough choice, but I'd probably lean towards the Marmot Ion. I really like the trim fit that doesn't get flappy when I'm running. -Mark

In GEAR » Your favorite Wind Shirt?
August 19, 6:40pm

Re: Guy-line Knots - What is your favorite knot for tying off guy line and why?
I keep a loop from an overhand-on-a-bight on each end of the guyline. Attach with a girth hitch on the tarp end. Stake is usually straight through the other loop, but sometimes I'll make a tautline...

In Philosophy & Technique » Guy-line Knots - What is your favorite knot for tying off guy line and why?
August 19, 6:37pm

Re: Sleep Cycles
Sleep cycles also came up in the current UL Sailing thread. I'm very much intrigued by the nuances and strategies for sleep at high exertions. Has anyone ever tried polyphasic sleeping for super-hi...

In Gear Lists » JMT Un-resupplied
August 19, 6:30pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Cat curves
Ron at Six Moon Designs offers DIY instructions for the Nightwing Tarp, which has a catenary ridgeline. See page 7 of the PDF instructions. You could probably extrapolate from those measurements cu...

In Make Your Own Gear » DIY Caternary curves ?
August 18, 8:51pm

All Reader Reviews by Mark Larson

Showing 1 - 10 of 18 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

GoLite Virga
Used this one on the AT this summer. My particular model has 1 large pocket on the right-hand side. I accidentally purchased a Small @ 8.1oz, but it ended up working out just fine for size [5'11, ...

In Clothing - Raingear
July 18, 8:18am

Montrail Masai
I like the Masai quite a bit. They don't wear as well as many other shoes. The toe rubber and seams started to flake out around the 300-mile mark, but surprisingly the fabric itself showed very li...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
June 01, 10:26am

Gossamer Gear Miniposa
I've put about 1000 miles on this pack, and so far it has easily displaced my GoLite Jam as my go-to pack. And I really love my Jam. I had the new Miniposa mailed to me in the middle of a long ...

In Backpacks - Frameless
May 14, 9:29am

Inov8 Flyroc 310
The Flyrocs are quite good. The deep-lugged soles make for excellent grip. I like that the heel isn't significantly raised, so you the shoes feel nice and close to the ground. The open mesh lets some ...

July 02, 9:07am

Evernew Nonstick Titanium 0.9 L Pot
This pot has great dimensions. Wide base, but not too shallow. Also wide enough to fit a trimmed spoon inside with my entire kitchen, and still close completely. I like the volume for meals on long-te...

In Cookware - Titanium
January 16, 11:19am

Gatorade Bottle
I'll put a plug in the for the Gatorade Endurance bottles in particular. They are a little more narrow and taller than the standard squatty bottles, so they fit more easily in side pockets. 1L/34oz ca...

In Hydration - Water Storage Containers
November 04, 3:05am

Salomon Tech Amhibian
This shoe is almost brilliant. I love the mesh, and the thin tongue is very comfortable. The footbed is probably the most supportive and comfortable I've ever used--no sore spots or aches. My bones an...

November 04, 3:00am

U.S. Department of Defense MRE Spoon
Meals-ready-to-eat come with great spoons, and some food, too. I'm not sure who the manufacturer is or where to find them commercially. The spoons have a generous length, long to reach the bottom o...

In Cookware - Other
November 04, 2:49am

Montane Featherlite
A great, great windshirt, and I've been really surprised by its inclement weather performance. I've been on brief runs [20-40 minutes] in the rain with the Featherlite. While it eventually wets out an...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
November 04, 2:40am

Equinox Silnylon Poncho
This is a review of the non-extended version, which I've really grown to like. Just a bit over 7oz, about 7.75 feet long, and a bargain at $40-50. I have had no problems with durability; snags on tree...

In Clothing - Raingear
November 04, 2:29am