November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Erin McKittrick (mckittre) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Seldovia, Alaska
About Me Finished up a 4000 mile, year-long, human-powered Journey on the Wild Coast. From Seattle to the Aleutians by foot, packraft, and skis.
My Website URL

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Erin McKittrick

Showing 121 - 129 of 129 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Forum » Thread

Re: fire starter idea
The paper soaked in paraffin wax works quite well. I do this all the time (with paper towel rather than newspapaer), and it takes only a tiny piece to get a fire started. I've recently become...

In GEAR » Fire starter idea
November 29, 12:37pm

mesh deformation
My husband and I have been experimenting with mesh backpacks lately. These are great for packrafting and other wet exploits, since you need a drybag inside to keep your critical stuff dry anyway, ...

In GEAR » onion bag backpack
November 28, 3:56pm

Re: SUL and Enviornment
I think backpackers (SUL or otherwise), are probably more likely than average to be pro-environment, due to their experiences in the wilderness. If they then use that lightweight philosophy to...

In Philosophy & Technique » SUL and Enviornment
November 25, 5:30pm

why not break new ground?
The discussion of how far it's possible to go without resupply is interesting. But I'm curious - why such a focus on preexisting trails (like the PCT and AT)? If you're going to be crossing roa...

In Philosophy & Technique » Unsupported/Unresupplied/Thru-Hikes
November 25, 5:12pm

Re: wet environment clothing
Sounds like I'm going to have to get a hold of some of these different options you've all mentioned and go off packrafting in the Olympic Mtns. this winter... I'm probably not going to go with P...

In GEAR » wet environment clothing
November 23, 3:02pm

Re: wet environment clothing
Thanks for the thoughts everyone. For my uses, the insulation itself needs to deal with water. It's not just for camp (I have a sleeping bag there). I find I need it most when packrafting (oft...

November 22, 1:08pm

wet environment clothing
I'm planning a big (Seattle to the Aleutians) trip next year, and thinking about clothing. What I usually do seems a little different than the conventional wisdom here, so I was curious what y...

November 21, 5:53pm

mailing food
Thanks for your thoughts (and the compliments on my website). In the past, I have prepared and mailed all of my food ahead to post offices. And it looks like I'll probably be stuck with doi...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Grocery store options
November 14, 3:33pm

Grocery store options
Hello. New to this forum, and hoping you might havae some useful thoughts for me. On long (a few weeks to a few months) trips in the past, I've prepared most of my food beforehand. So I had ac...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Grocery store options
November 13, 12:57pm

All Reader Reviews by Erin McKittrick

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

MLD Supermid 2010
Simple. Roomy. Effective. Hig and I spent a year living in t...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
July 20, 12:19pm