BPL Community Profile

Mark Hurd (markhurd) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale South Texas
About Me Backpacker, climber, cyclist, sometime kayaker, aerospace engineer, entomologist, physician, DIY gear maker, gadget junky, hammock aficionado and former daguerreotypist.---- "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt
CitySan Antonio
StateTX
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mark Hurd

Showing 121 - 130 of 457 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...46

Forum » Thread

Re: "Let's talk about the whiz freedom"
During a backpacking trip a couple of years ago the 5 women in the group would all go off together to pee. The main reason was to take turns swatting and waving away the zillions of mosquitoes fro...

In GEAR » Let's talk about the whiz freedom
April 22, 11:07pm

Re: re: Big 3 + 1
Three season-temps 35 to 90 F (1.7 to 32 C) - includes stakes (2), hammock suspension, etc. SMD - Essence Pack = 19 oz (539 g) Hennesy Hammock - Adventure Racer = 21 oz (595 g) Jacks-R-Better ...

In GEAR » Whats your weight for the big 3+1
April 20, 6:46pm

Re: :)- Tyvek Clothing
Chris, I've ordered from them (MPE Safety Apparel) in the past. They are legit. -Mark

In GEAR » rain pant suggestions
April 19, 10:22pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Tyvek jacket? - protective-clothing.net
Roleigh, Well, that has been my experience, but I was hiking in hot humid conditions. I still sweat with the DriDucks , but not as bad. However, the Tyvek is cheap, so you may cosider trying them ...

In GEAR » Tyvek jacket?
April 15, 9:44pm

Re: Re: Tyvek jacket? - protective-clothing.net
Roleigh, I believe they sell Tyvek brand protective clothing as well as some Tyvek-like brands, but I think they are labled as to which is which on the home page. You could alway contact them. ...

In GEAR » Tyvek jacket?
April 15, 9:29pm

Re: Re: Re: Tyvek jacket? - Yanks?
Chris, You could try: http://www.protective-clothing.net/ I've tried these several years ago and found them to be water resistant, but they need to be seam sealed which I forgot to do....

In GEAR » Tyvek jacket?
April 14, 5:25pm

Re: Eco mesh pants
Zack, I guess you must have liked them. Were they basically your only pants or did you switch pairs? -Mark

In GEAR » RailRider Pants?
April 14, 3:35pm

Re: RR Eco Mesh pants
Nick, James, Heesoo, and Andrew- Wow, thanks for the input. That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I will be doing on trail hiking mostly with occasional bushwacks off trail. I have...

April 14, 10:36am

RailRider Pants?
Can anyone comment on Rail Rider Eco Mesh Pants. http://www.railriders.com/men-eco-mesh-pant-with-insect-shield-p-837.html I've been looking for pants that I can wear in hot and humid co...

April 13, 11:17pm

Re: What about stoveless??
Tom, Thanks for the reply. I figured there was some protein, but 10 % is pretty good. Well, when all is said and done, I do like a hot beverage on a cold morning, but who knows maybe I'll...

In GEAR » Switching from Canister stove
April 09, 11:54pm

All Reader Reviews by Mark Hurd

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Packa eVent
I got an eVent Packa when they first came out and have used it quite a bit over the last couple years. The jacket weighs 16 oz, but it is also a pack cover, so if you subtract 1.5 oz for that you ...

In Clothing - Raingear
October 16, 4:52pm

Warbonnet BlackBird
Like the other reviewers, I am really pleased with this piece of gear. Brandon makes each hammock himself. He offers two weights of fabric and single and double bottom models. The roominess of th...

In Shelters - Hammocks & Accessories
January 22, 6:31pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
I am reviewing the Caldera Keg, but much of this also applies to the Caldera Cone for the 1.3L Evernew pot which I also own. Easy To Set Up- unroll the cone and slip the dovetails together then ins...

In Stoves - Alcohol
November 06, 5:10pm

TarpTent
My first tent under 7 lbs. was the Cloudburst 2. Well, no, actually it was a Squall 2 which I got and loved, but my wife, Nancy, thought it might be a little, too snug. So I got the Cloudburst 2. Well...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
April 16, 7:18pm

Six Moon Designs
I purchase both the Gatewood Cape and the Essence '07 pack from this company. Very responsive, quick shipping, and well made products. I have not had a problem with either item. Concerning durabil...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 28, 8:27pm

Six Moon Designs Essence '07
Review of the Six Moon Designs Essences ’07 pack I have entered this as a new review as I believe the redesigned pack is significantly different from the previous version and therefore deserves its...

In Backpacks - Frameless
February 27, 6:37pm