BPL Community Profile

Frank Steele (knarfster) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Arizona
About Me Scoutmaster that doesn't like to lug around a 40 lb pack any more. I have achieved at least ultra light. Pack with TT Rainbow for 2 or a tarp and bivy for solo, BA Horsethief bag and IAC pad(I need a good nights sleep) and a modified Osprey Exos 46 pack for my big 3. I am down to base of 9lbs 10 oz, lbs with all dodads and warm clothing (Ibex and Mont-Bell). With 3 days of food and necessary water I am right at 15 lbs 15 oz. A big improvement over my old 40 lb pack.
CityPhoenix
StateAZ
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListWeekend Boy Scout outing

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Frank Steele

Showing 121 - 130 of 387 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...39

Forum » Thread

PS
Moontrail.com has the original UL Spiral Down hugger #3 for $249 (free shipping) but if you want the new UL Super Spiral Down Hugger #3 (Same Down fill, more stretch than the UL Spiral and 2 oz li...

In GEAR » Mont-bell or Western Mountaineering??
May 18, 3:02pm

Others
Bryan, i have owned a Mont-Bell #5 and it definitely is closer to 40 than 30 degree bag, simply because it only has 6 oz of Down. The Caribou has 10 oz and will be much warmer.' That be...

In GEAR » Mont-bell or Western Mountaineering??
May 18, 2:52pm

Original Post
The original post says nothing about quick flipping for a profit (which would be a against the spirit of the forum). I have noticed that if someone flips a piece of gear here and asks for more...

In Gear Swap » Gear swap
May 18, 2:34pm

BA Zirekel
Someone on here is selling a BA Zirkel with the Pad, it is a 20 degree bag.

In Gear Swap » sleep bag/quilt
May 18, 2:30pm

huh?!
"Buying and reselling is definitely a part of the free market, but does leave a bad taste in a community setting." What are you talking about? That's why Gear Swap is here. It g...

In Gear Swap » Gear swap
May 18, 2:26pm

Actual weight
have you confirmed the weight? My Horsethief says it is supposed to be 22 oz, but it is 21.

In Gear Swap » Tarptent Rainbow & Big Agnes Zirkel and Insulated Aircore
May 17, 6:06pm

Look for the "gap"
Brian, it might be hard to see, but the grosgrain piece at the end is really "hollow" Just try to separate it with a small scredirver (butter knife maybe0 or something the first time...

In GEAR » TT Double Rainbow Question
May 17, 4:27pm

Nice scale
that looks like a nice scale. I use a regular Pelousz postal scale for most things, goes up to 5 pounds and is accurate to .2 oz. I also own a AMW 100 digital scale i use to measure gun powder for...

In GEAR » I've gone to light, I need an accurate scale.
May 17, 4:09pm

Cut off?
Some people who never used the function were frustrated with the Velcro and cut it off. If you post some pictures of were the pole slides into the sleeve we can tell you.

In GEAR » Tarptent Rainbow question
May 17, 3:59pm

Which Zirkel
Is this the 800 Down Zirkel or the older 725? And ............ HOW MUCH DOES IT WEIGH? . Argggghh I don't need another BA bag, must not send paypal, must not send paypal....

In Gear Swap » Tarptent Rainbow & Big Agnes Zirkel and Insulated Aircore
May 17, 3:34pm

All Reader Reviews by Frank Steele

Showing 1 - 10 of 12 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Campsaver.com Retailer
I have bought several things from Campsaver and steered several of my Scouts and their parents to them. they have good prices, very fast and affordable shipping and they have a very smooth return pro...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 19, 9:38am

Golite Jam
It looks like this thread is for the old Jam, but I don't want to confuse people looking to buy the new Jam and finding this thread. First generation pack named the Jam, weighed 22 oz, and was...

In Backpacks - Frameless
April 08, 12:10pm

Titanuium Goat Ptarmigan Bivy
Are you kidding me? This Bivy does it all! For $45 less than the next best made bag, which doesn't have the option of an all net AND all nylon hood. Plus I only had to wait 2 days, not 2 months...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
March 27, 12:19am

Mont-Bell UL Super Stretch Down Hugger #2
I will start off by saying I am a cold sleeper. I started my Ultralight journey with a MB UL Spiral Down Hugger #3 bag, which weighed only 18.9 oz on my digital scale. I loved the weight and how com...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
March 23, 1:53pm

IBEX Woolies Crew Long Sleeve
The IBEX Woolies Crew keeps me warm when it is cool and cool when it is warm, Amazing. The wool is even softer than on my Icebreaker 140 technical T. I love this shirt (and the pants too!)

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 22, 11:43am

Osprey Exos 58
This is a great light pack. I tried the Frame-less packs and they are not for me FOR THE RECORD - THIS IS an INTERNAL FRAME PACK, the review doesn't belong here.

In Backpacks - External Frame
March 22, 11:35am

Backcountry.com
I have had nothing but great experiences with Backcountry. I also love picking up their scratch and dent stuff off of Geartrade. Alfred, you sound like a whiner to me. 1 point because you couldn&...

March 22, 10:48am

TarpTent
I bought a Contrail and didn't like the front entry. Henry gladly exchanged it for a Rainbow. Wish all companies were so easy to deal with.

March 22, 10:45am

e-OMC (Oregon Mountain Community) Customer Service
I ordered a pair of pants and a pair of montrail shoes. they arrived very quickly. the shoes didn't fell good and the pants were too big. I returned the shoes and exchanged the pants with no pr...

March 22, 10:39am

MoonTrail Customer Service
Moon trail is a great company to deal with and I love their bonus point system, Free Stuff! I always check their site first, because beyond the bonus points, they generally have lower prices than...

March 22, 10:30am