Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Ken Bennett (ken_bennett) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale southeastern usa
About Me Hiker, photographer, etc.
Statenorth carolina

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Ken Bennett

Showing 121 - 130 of 677 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...68

Forum » Thread

Re: Sub-2 lb pack for a big guy
You could try the ULA Ohm 2.0, as it uses the same hip belt IIRC. I had an original Ohm, and liked it except for the hip belt, so I got a custom Circuit instead.

In GEAR » Sub-2 lb pack for a big guy
May 24, 6:05am

Re: What I learned from two Heavyweights
When we did family hikes with our daughter, I rigged a 5x8 sil tarp over the door of our Rainshadow. That was great -- it gave us a huge porch for cooking and gear storage and just hanging out. ...

In GEAR » What I learned from two Heavyweights
May 17, 4:31pm

Re: Tent recommendations
We have owned the original Rainshadow, the Double Rainbow, and now use the SMD Lunar Duo. The Rainshadow will comfortably sleep three adults. Nice tent, but I disliked the front entrance/single...

In GEAR » Tent recommendations
May 17, 11:33am

Re: 28.5 Liter Pack @ 2# 10oz--what's the intended purpose?
My wife has a Jade pack, maybe the 30 liter, for long day hikes in the winter. The extra pack weight doesn't really matter at that point. I have an Osprey Kestrel 32 for day hikes when I want t...

In GEAR » 28.5 Liter Pack @ 2# 10oz--what's the intended purpose?
May 17, 8:04am

Re: thanks for the info
" I know the fly will need to get staked out at the vestibules and the guy out points. " If this is the case, then may I politely ask why you want "freestanding"? Especial...

In GEAR » suggestions for free standing , side entery tents for two
May 17, 8:01am

Re: Re: Is it a bad idea to hike in my Saucony running shoes?
I wear eVent gaiters in the winter to keep snow and icy water out of my goretex trail runners. In the summer I don't wear any gaiters with my mesh trail runners. Either way I'm wearing shor...

In GEAR » Is it a bad idea to hike in my Saucony running shoes?
May 15, 8:41am

Re: what's the elastic chest strap for between the shoulder straps
Some people like them. It's the first thing I cut off a new pack.

In GEAR » what's the elastic chest strap for between the shoulder straps
May 12, 7:53am

Re: Canon S100 vs Panasonic GF3 [14mm f 2.5-22] Low Light Performance Comparison ??????
Any of the tiny-sensor p+s cameras are going to have similar image quality. Very good at lower ISO settings, not so good at higher ones. It's just physics, mostly. As for the Panasonics, we...

In GEAR » Canon S100 vs Panasonic GF3 [14mm f 2.5-22] Low Light Performance Comparison ??????
May 11, 6:23am

Re: Backpacking food
I just buy food in the grocery store. Knorr pasta or rice side dishes are good, especially with a small bag of chicken or salmon added. Mac and Cheese is good, or anything that can be cooked in a s...

In GEAR » Backpacking food
May 08, 5:48am

Re: Snakes
My first hiking partner was deathly afraid of snakes. He wanted to go hiking with me, but that fear kept him from doing so for a long time. Not sure how he finally overcame it enough to come with m...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Snakes
May 07, 11:59am

All Reader Reviews by Ken Bennett

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Photon Freedom Micro (White)
The newest version is the Photon Freedom To The Max, which uses some sort of new technology in the LED that doubles brightness while not using any more battery power. Nice. The Doug Ritter edition ...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
January 17, 6:10pm

Marmot Ion
I just received my Marmot Ion jacket from Campmor, and I agree with the two most recent posts. I don't think it's sil-nylon, exactly, but my hiking test had water beading up on the inside whil...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
January 17, 6:04pm