Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Jim W. (jimqpublic) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale So-Cal
About Me 46 years old. Married with two kids- Daughter born in 2000, son born in 2003. Loved camping as a little kid. Then we moved to the foot of Mt. Whitney when I was 13. I spent my teenage years backpacking, hiking, snowshoeing, xc & downhill skiing. A lot less since then (living in LA).

Jim
StateCalifornia
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear List2009 solo & family gear

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim W.

Showing 121 - 130 of 876 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...88

Forum » Thread

Re: Guitar Lake and mosquitoes
I hiked the JMT August 2008 which was an average snow year. I didn't have mosquito protection other than a small bottle of DEET and a headnet. There were only a couple spots with significant ...

In Gear Lists » Mid August 2012 JMT
March 03, 2:32pm

JMT duration
Suggesting what hike pace is hard or easy is like talking about shoe size or bench press weights. Everybody is different. That said- Going from N to S you have four easy opportunities to stop...

In Pre-Trip Planning » JMT planning, hike duration
March 03, 2:20pm

YARTS in autumn
YARTS between Mammoth and Yosemite goes to weekends only after Labor Day, then ends at the end of September or when the road closes, whichever comes first. If the Mammoth-Red's bus isn't...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » JMT hike time question, Happy isles to Reds meadow
March 02, 12:43pm

Bus connections...
I think you're going to have to wait until the summer YARTS bus is running then contact YARTS dispatch to see if they wait for ESTA. If not, take the afternoon ESTA bus and camp out at Shady...

In Pre-Trip Planning » JMT plans CHEAP!
March 02, 12:19pm

Re: Re: JMT plans CHEAP!
I agree on Mammoth being a good transportation hub. YARTS Bus North to Yosemite every morning at 8:00. From Lone Pine Eastern Sierra Transit Authority "Crest" bus North to Mammoth e...

In Pre-Trip Planning » JMT plans CHEAP!
March 02, 11:37am

Re: Help Ice axe novice determine the correct length and which crampons
Sorry I was editing as you were replying. This summer has a very good chance of super early snowmelt. On the other hand the winter of 1990 had almost no snow before March then 180" fell. If yo...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Help Ice axe novice determine the correct length and which crampons
February 27, 9:36pm

Re: Help Ice axe novice determine the correct length and which crampons
The side of Forester isn't the place to learn to use snow tools. There are several Bay Area organizations that can provide training and advice. One that specializes in basic snow travel is M...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Help Ice axe novice determine the correct length and which crampons
February 27, 9:27pm

i was cold... (so drink something hot and go to bed)
It sounds like a lot of sitting around underdressed in cold windy conditions. My SOP in winter is to start heating water for instant soup as soon as we set up camp. I've never used an AT Shelt...

In Philosophy & Technique » i was cold...
February 27, 4:42pm

Re: JMT S->N Start Date/Snowpack??
It's still to early to predict. The winter of 1990-91 was way worse than this one. Mammoth Mountain had only received 4' of total snow before March. (This year they've seen 10' t...

In Pre-Trip Planning » JMT S->N Start Date/Snowpack??
February 27, 4:32pm

Re: Re: Mcgee Creek to Steelhead lake
Location is Eastern Sierra with trailhead near Crowley Lake Elevations 8000 to 10,000 feet. This winter is mild so far. Lakes at 10,000' are often frozen in June. Normally June still has qu...

In Gear Lists » Mcgee Creek to Steelhead lake
February 25, 7:32pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim W.

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Six Moon Designs StarLite
I purchased the SMD Starlight with hip belt pockets and frame stays for a 2008 hike of the John Muir Trail. Currently it has about 5 weeks of backpacking use. Weight is per spec at just under 2 po...

In Backpacks - Frameless
January 30, 11:19am

Black Diamond Equipment Customer Service
First, I'll say that usually before you call Customer Service of an equipment manufacturer it means something has gone wrong. This wasn't true for me at all- I contacted them for advice on wh...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 11, 5:06pm

Nike Lava Dome
My original Lava Domes lasted me several years- Wearing to school, mountain biking, hiking, working as a land surveyor. I remember carrying 5 pound Asolo boots in my pack as I wore the Lava Domes wa...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
April 02, 4:40pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
4.5/5 for overall performance/weight. I bought a Jetboil PCS last summer and used it for testing at home, a two week solo trip, and during a few family day hikes. I love the system compared to...

In Stoves - Canister
March 05, 2:10pm

Sierra Trading Post (STP) web shopping and service
I've been shopping with STP for at least 20 years. The web made this sort of business much easier to shop. Prices are almost always great. Being closeouts, overstocks, and 2nds you have to ke...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 22, 2:48pm