Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Lucas Boyer (jhawkwx) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale 38.97˚N, 95.26˚W
About Me Having been a backpacker off and on since the early 90's when a trip to Philmont infected me w/ the bug, I have transitioned over to a lighter kit. My first encounter with UL backpacking was some CDT thru-hikers I met in New Mexico. I went home and combed the web, found BPL, and the rest is history. Right now, I'm between jobs, working at a local running shop and have been doing a little freelance writing, hoping to find a voice for a writing career perhaps. Previously, I have obtained a meteorology degree and master's degree in secondary educ.
CityLawrence
StateKS
CountryUnited States
My Website URLhttp://www.hobohiker.wordpress.com
My PDF Gear ListOHT Gear List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Lucas Boyer

Showing 121 - 130 of 201 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Forum » Thread

thanks Roger
Roger, thanks for the feedback on the KT26, I wish they came in 15. I'd really like to try a pair for the simplicity. I noticed their velcro model does come in a 15, but I'm not liking the ...

In GEAR » trail hikers for extra wide feet
November 24, 7:51am

re: pack mods
Looks good w/ the tabs on the shove it. Much more simplified than running a new seam along the length of the pocket. Pack design Motto: KISS. I agree on the G4, no need to work the funny seams on t...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG Backpack: A synthesis of designs
November 24, 6:49am

re: Japanese fashion
Miguel, I hope my comments weren't taken as demeaning to Japanese fashion. Afterall, birds depend on bright colors for their survival. I find the thought of wearing a bright pink down jacket in...

In Gear Deals » FIND: UL down jackets at Uniqlo $50
November 24, 6:22am

re: pink
I'm all over that Pink down jacket! I think that and some matching moon boots are going to be on my xmas wishlist. +1 for the "synthetic leather". No animals were harmed in the mak...

In Gear Deals » FIND: UL down jackets at Uniqlo $50
November 23, 1:02pm

re: NB lasts
I just realized that I misspoke on the last. New Balance Web Express describes the last on each of their shoes and has the hyperlinked chart for last description as well. The SL-2 last is the Deep,...

November 23, 10:25am

re: mld sewing machines
Once again, another fine highlight of the craftsmanship available to the BPL community. Anyone recognize the sewing machines in the shop? They look like standard machines(not industrial). I assume ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Cottage manufacturers - interviewed
November 23, 8:32am

re: new balance and KT26's
Roger, I stumbled upon the Last chart NB provides on their website and thought I had found the holy grail of shoe research. The New Balance SL-1 Last is described as a wide, deep toebox and regular...

November 23, 7:22am

re: condensation
As a midwesterner, the humidity is near and dear to my heart. Well actually, it's near, but I don't know how heartfelt it is when sleeping. Keep in mind a light breeze will move a lot of wa...

In GEAR » Bivy vs larger tarp
November 22, 1:06pm

RE: pack/shoes
Nate, another thought comes to mind. Looking at the New Prophet on MLD and contemplating a MYOG imitation lately, I'm thinking you could perhaps use 1 or 2 pieces of narrow grosgrain running ho...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG Backpack: A synthesis of designs
November 20, 10:03am

re: Mizuno
Mizuno makes a nice roomy shoe too. I like the feel of their shoes. I have not run them though. Word is that they will wear a bit faster because of their light weight. They tend to be pretty "...

In GEAR » Help with Trail Runners
November 19, 9:05am

All Reader Reviews by Lucas Boyer

Lucas Boyer has posted no reviews.