BPL Community Profile

Jason Brinkman (jbrinkmanboi) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Idaho
About Me I backpack, hike, raft, hunt, fish, mountain bike, ski, snowshoe, trail run, etc.
CityBoise
StateIdaho
CountryUnited States
My PDF Gear ListRocky Mountain Summer 3-day Gear List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jason Brinkman

Showing 121 - 130 of 499 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...50

Forum » Thread

Re: patagonia houdini -- size up?
I would qualify the Houdini cut as trim, but not over-restrictive. I bought my normal size and it fits well. The Houdini accels when you are moving, and thus needing fewer layers. It is surpri...

In GEAR » patagonia houdini -- size up?
June 29, 10:52pm

lw mosquito protection
A headnet is pretty light if you can make it work.

In GEAR » Lightweight mosquito protection under a tarp?
June 28, 10:57pm

Re: Caldera Split Cone (Caldera Fissure?)
Guess I really opened something up with this thread, huh?!? Thanks Rand for being so open about this topic, which is obviously a complex business planning consideration for you. Hopefully mem...

In Make Your Own Gear » Help me brainstorm a Caldera Cone (TM) for the FireLite 475ml Ti Trapper's Mug
June 26, 1:51pm

Re: SMD Gatewood Cape??
Excellent info Nia, thanks. I'll also take a look at Will's review. I tend to forget to go look at reviews on this site as often as I should - most are very helpful.

In GEAR » MLD Poncho/Tarp or SMD Gatewood Cape??
June 26, 1:05pm

SMD Gatewood Cape??
I have looked at the Gatewood Cape a lot of times, as it appears to be a very efficient design. However, I have some reservations. Can someone with experience with a Gatewood speak to these? 1...

In GEAR » MLD Poncho/Tarp or SMD Gatewood Cape??
June 26, 10:32am

Re: Firebowls..
The fire cloths that I have seen appear to be made of woven fiberglass material. They are a small and square - 2 to 3 feet wide - and made of heavy fabric that can be rolled. I am sure there is a...

In GEAR » A fire what!?!
June 25, 5:04pm

Re: Caldera and Caddy
I mentioned titanium, but I am not absolutely fixed on this. The aluminum Caldera that I have for my Snowpeak 700 seems to be very durable. Some weights of titanium are a little more resistant to...

In Make Your Own Gear » Help me brainstorm a Caldera Cone (TM) for the FireLite 475ml Ti Trapper's Mug
June 25, 4:51pm

Re: Reinventing... the chair
I think that with 2 oz/yd fabric, carbon fiber rods, and lightweight 1/2 inch webbing, you could probably get the weight down to around 4 ounces. But then you are investing some considerable tim...

In Make Your Own Gear » Reinventing... the chair
June 25, 10:02am

Re: LiteMax vs. PocketRocket - which flame design is better?
I expect the Litemax to do better in the wind than the Gigapower, but the question is how much better? I think the Pocket Rocket would do the best. Even with the Pocket Rocket that my buddy carri...

In GEAR » Snowpeak Litemax stove
June 25, 9:31am

Re: Caldera for Trapper Mug - update
Wow... I never figured the pot and all would fit inside a Caddy! That kinda changes the whole equation for me. If I can stow the whole works in the cylindrical semi-rigid Caddy container (...

June 24, 9:56am

All Reader Reviews by Jason Brinkman

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I've had zero problems with my Firesteel. It always throws a reliable and predictably shaped spark fan. Lights stoves or fires easily. Lighting a fire does require a dry tinder material (found ...

In Cookware - Other
July 24, 10:18am

REI Minimalist Bivy Sack
I picked up a REI Minimalist Bivy in size long to try out. The long also has added girth, which is great. I slept in it twice in my backyard proving ground. Both times were clear, low humidity night...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 09, 11:53pm

clif shot bloks/jelly belly sport beans various flavors
Tried the Shot Bloks (pina colada and black cherry) for the first time on a trip in Hells Canyon last weekend. I found the texture and flavor to be VERY appealing, and the calorie density is acceptab...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
May 09, 11:26pm

Black Diamond Spire Elliptical Trekking Poles
I was intrigued by these initially because of the ellipical shafts - definitely seem stronger/stiffer on the principle axis than comparable weight round poles. I was willing to live with the 20 oz pe...

In Trekking Poles
February 28, 11:57pm