Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

James Marco (jamesdmarco) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Finger Lakes
About Me Backpacker, hiker, cannoer, fisherman, since 1960 or so, now retired. I enjoy being outdoors and vary my gear to match what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am going with. I mostly head into the Adirondacks. No longer a GG Trail Ambassador.
StateNew York

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Marco

Showing 121 - 130 of 2211 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...222

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Fabric Testing and a Few Surprises
Roger, In the test reports you will see that it is a PU coating and both sides.

In Make Your Own Gear » Fabric Testing and a Few Surprises
May 11, 5:25pm

Re: re: fill power and ggd vs gdd
Actually, Eider is a duck and produces the finest down. You cannot believe all you are told. Why is 750 fill all of the sudden 800 when it gets a DriTec coating?

In GEAR » Down types GDD vs GGD
May 11, 2:13pm

Re: Re: Re: More Winter Stoves becoming available
Fuel economy or efficiency is OK. It gets about the same efficiency as my old SVEA. The SVEA runs between 9-12gm per liter on low with a wind screen. Rogers's Stove, with the FMS300t, does slig...

In Gear Deals » More Winter Stoves becoming available
May 11, 2:07pm

perimeter nets
I did try them 15 years ago or so. They made pitching very painful (I was constantly pushing mesh out of the way to stake something,) it didn't work all that well(every gap is begging for a mos...

In GEAR » perimeter nets
May 11, 1:49pm

Re: Re: More Winter Stoves becoming available
I don't have the BRS-3000t but am happy with the FMS-300t. It's efficient enough to say "Yes, it is efficient." It averaged about 10.5gm per liter over a 5 day trip with my daught...

In Gear Deals » More Winter Stoves becoming available
May 11, 12:23pm

Re: Fabric Testing and a Few Surprises
Hi Gary, Thanks for testing these. Something you did not test for was resistance/recovery to stretching. Perhaps by weighting one side with 100kg, then testing?? This is always a problem with ny...

In Make Your Own Gear » Fabric Testing and a Few Surprises
May 11, 8:36am

Re: Wider pot bases
Anything around 5-6" is good. I think the 1.3L is around 5.5". Larger and it it can dissipate heat almost as much as it absorbs heat. Heat absorption/dissipation both happen except wh...

In Editor's Roundtable » BRS-3000T stove Spotlite Review
May 10, 10:19am

Re: One more try
Like I say, everyone wheres a pack a little differently. If you need a small gap to keep it comfortable, so what? If it drops a little, so what? If it rides best a little high, so what? YOU have to...

In GEAR » How should my backpack fit?
May 10, 7:18am

Re: Re: Re: Efficiency
Bob is correct. It looks like you are wasting a lot of heat. Turn it down. Typically 5g is pretty good for most stoves. Only a few can hit 4gm. The Caffin stove got about 4.5gm for ten runs. The S...

In Editor's Roundtable » BRS-3000T stove Spotlite Review
May 10, 5:03am

Re: Re: Re: How should my backpack fit?
"James Marco, my pack definitely doesn't fit like that. But the attachment points are not on the top of the bag like yours are." Not to worry. Everybody prefers to carry a load a b...

In GEAR » How should my backpack fit?
May 10, 4:36am

All Reader Reviews by James Marco

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Steripen Adventurer Opti
They finally revamped the old Adventurer with the Opti. 1) Improved battery life - The old unit went through batteries at about 25-30L per set. This was primarily because of leaving the batteries ...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
June 16, 5:29am

Optimus/Primus? Svea 123R
The SVEA 123r is my standard stove for camping. I have spent about 40 years trying to replace the little beast. No such luck. I have found several different stoves that work well for 2-3 days (alcohol...

In Stoves - White Gas
April 19, 3:40am

Klymit Inertia X Frame
I picked up a Xframe (full size) a couple weeks ago. I took it out for 5 nights last weekend with my daughter, Brenda. I had a good trip but was unimpressed by the pad. I tried various techniques with...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 5:16am

gossamer murmur
I have used the old GG G5 pack for well beyond a servicable lifetime. Patching, reinforcing, and finaly died and I replaced it with a 2012 Murmur, one of the first off the production l...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 25, 6:06pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Great little piece of gear. Light, easy to use, miserly on fuel. Keeps the heat in on the pot and does a great job of boiling water. I will complain that it does not let enough heat out sometimes......

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 07, 3:50am

Thermarest Neo-Air
The NeoAir is a good pad, with a fantisticcall price. I have a medium which just fits me at 5'9". I usually inflate this fully while setting up camp, giving it a couple of breaths before slee...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 07, 3:22am