BPL Community Profile

James Patsalides (james@patsalides.com) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale New England
About Me British fella living in New England. Restarted hiking kick early in 2009 after a lot of years off. Trying to get my 3 year old out on the trail as much as possible. Goals are to hike at least twice a month, every month, with at least one overnight, and ultimately to thru hike the AT by the time I'm 50.

+ Leave No Trace Master Educator.
+ SOLO certified Wilderness First Aider.
+ BPL Wilderness Skills School Alum.
+ Learning/leadership/creativity consultant in real life.
CityManchester
StateConnecticut
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListCurrent Gear List - August 2009

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Patsalides

Showing 121 - 130 of 305 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...31

Forum » Thread

Tarp Durability & HYOH
@Andrew, Hi! Not trying to tell you how to do it for yourself... in every case, the macro analysis from a survey is a roll UP of the individual experience of the respondents, nothing more. In no...

In GEAR » SURVEY REPORT: THE MYTHS OF TARP DURABILITY
April 06, 7:55am

SURVEY REPORT: THE MYTHS OF TARP DURABILITY
Guys, Thanks for all the excellent feedback... I'll try to answer as best I can, forgive me if I miss something, I'm running between work, teaching and taking classes this week! 1. Caus...

April 06, 6:43am

Re: Tarp Construction
Lynn: Hi! All valid comments, and if we were doing this as a scientific study, all things to control for. I did do a quick review of the damage types - including questions on whether seams were st...

April 05, 2:09pm

Tarp Survey Report
@Jay: LOL. There's another hypothesis to be tested, I guess. :-)

April 05, 2:04pm

SURVEY REPORT: THE MYTHS OF TARP DURABILITY
THE MYTHS OF TARP DURABILITY It is a truism in the lightweight community that modern high-tech materials are less durable than more traditional tarp materials such as nylon or polypro. Challeng...

April 05, 1:06pm

What happened to BPL Ranks???
LOL. Yeah, what it is to be a loser... Jonathan, glad I'm not the only one slammed by being a lifer! Are there any lifers in the top 50, I wonder??? Some of the 2.x and 3.x'ers have bla...

In Community Support Forum » What happened to BPL Ranks???
April 05, 6:51am

I know I know I know... it is meaningless, and being upset is irrational, but it is still visible... click on the Community Gear Lists link on the right... :-)

April 04, 9:50pm

Sooo, weird, but my BPL Rank was 1.50 yesterday, and now it is 0.23... what's going on??? Lifetime member and regular poster, wilderness school attendee, spent a near fortune on BPL gear... I&...

April 04, 9:25pm

pad and bivy question
Hey Mike, I ditched the prolite and went to a cut down z-lite (1/3) glued to 2/3 of a GG thin-lite pad - for ~6oz I get full body length and really excellent thermal properties. I'm a sid...

In GEAR » pad and bivy question
April 02, 12:15pm

Tarp Users - Survey Closing - Please Respond Soon!
Tarp users: If you have not completed the tarp survey yet, please do so by 4pm Eastern today, Friday April 2, 2010. I will be taking the survey off line at that point. I hope to complete the an...

In GEAR » Tarp Users - Survey Response Requested
April 02, 10:44am

All Reader Reviews by James Patsalides

Showing 1 - 8 of 8 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Aquaclip Aquaclip (black)
This little piece of plastic is unbelievable. It clips onto your plastic water bottle (aquafina or smartwater etc), then slides over your belt, pack strap or clip, sternum strap... wherever! If you...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 21, 9:37am

Berghaus C7-65+10
Used this bag for a couple of years on numerous hiking trips BEFORE getting into lightweight backpacking. As an example of a traditional backpack, it is one of the best out there. Berghaus' biof...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
December 20, 12:54pm

IKEA Plastic Cup (Orange)
This super-cheap lightweight plastic cup form IKEA has become a core part of my cooking and eating system. The cup weights 1oz, and is insulating enough to use for tea or coffee, as well as cold drin...

In Cookware - Other
December 20, 12:36pm

Glaceau Smart Water 1 Liter bottle
I started using these bottles in the late summer and I love them. I now have 3, 2x 1L and 1x 0.6L version. Two of them fit perfectly into the side pocket of my golite jam, or one slides perfectly do...

In Hydration - Water Storage Containers
December 20, 12:28pm

Berghaus Tech T Long Sleeve
The Berghaus tech T long sleeve base layer is a top quality lightweight synthetic base layer designed by one of Europe's premier gear manufacturers. This is a summer base layer, roughly equivalen...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
December 15, 11:22am

Gossamer Gear SpinnTwinn Tarp
The SpinnTwinn has now become my primary tarp for solo use. The quality is outstanding, perfect stitching, strong tie-outs, the new cord locks are great. Matched up with 8x titanium nails and my LT4 t...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
December 10, 7:35am

Cocoon Pro 90 Quilt
First, I have to state for the record that this is my first quilt, so my review may be biassed by my happy transformational transition from bags to quilts! I have used this quilt as part of an in...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
December 08, 7:57pm

Golite Jam
If, like me, you're starting the journey into SUL backpacking, this is the perfect starter pack. Good size for a multi-day, but not so huge that you are tempted to put extra stuff into the pack. A...

In Backpacks - Frameless
September 10, 11:34am