BPL Community Profile

Jeff Hollis (hyperslug) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Jeff Hollis hasn't told us about their geographical region yet.
About Me Been backpacking for 30+ years and have 20+ years in the outdoor industry.
CityFayetteville
StateArkansas
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jeff Hollis

Showing 121 - 130 of 157 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Forum » Thread

My Rain Jacket Spreadsheet
I have a current excel spread sheet of most if not all of the current lightweight offerings in the US. It includes the feature set of each jacket as in pit zips, pockets, and their locations. Howev...

In GEAR » Help me pick a rain jacket
March 02, 2:00pm

eVent vs Pit Zips
Just throwing this out there as it seems currently one of the lightest with pit zips. Marmot Super Mica Jacket $200 8.0 Not sure how that actually compares to a garment made of eVent without ...

In GEAR » Rain jacket
March 01, 10:01am

Documentry
I remember seeing a documentary about someone developing a simple clean water system for 3rd world countries. I wish I could remember the details but it may be this they were developing. I found...

In GEAR » Interesting new water purification option coming to the market
February 27, 3:02pm

Re: Re: Richard
"non insulated air pad" Logan, I think the non insulated air mattress made a big impact at reducing your warmth, like maybe 10 degrees. Jeff

In GEAR » Extending the range of your sleeping bag
February 26, 11:39pm

Deyhdrate
I have to have flavor as well but I don't have a delicate palate by any means. I grew up on southern comfort food as in "coronary ready to happen". I live in Texas so tex mex and BBQ ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » We have gear lists, but what about food lists?
February 26, 12:29pm

Giardia Tolerance
One article I read many years ago stated that our ancestors were exposed to Giardia but had a tolerance for it and that modern water purification has eroded our tolerance. I have never seen it repe...

In Philosophy & Technique » Drinking Water for Hiking: Myths and Facts
February 23, 4:04pm

Re: Re: Bourbon
Elijah Craig, some credit with making the first bourbon, had a fire but being cheap still used the charred barrels for his corn liquor, which gives bourbon the caramel color. Never have tried it be...

In Chaff » Most Beloved Trail Whisky/Whiskey
February 18, 11:03am

Vest would work
Thanks Troy! Yes I looked a little closer and 12 oz would be hard to get. I guess 15 oz would work but a vest might also be a good option.

In Gear Deals » Cheap UL Down/Synthetic Jacket
February 18, 8:35am

Cheap UL Down/Synthetic Jacket
My brother is in the market for a lightweight insulated jacket. Does not have to be super warm, usually 40s max but needs to be light, at least sub 12 oz. Also $75 or less preferred and off brand i...

In Gear Deals » Cheap UL Down/Synthetic Jacket
February 18, 7:30am

Bourbon
I am no expert and more of a beer drinker but I believe Bourbon is the only true American style whiskey. And for someone who grew up in the southeast it is my only choice. Jim Beam, Jim Beam Black,...

In Chaff » Most Beloved Trail Whisky/Whiskey
February 17, 4:12pm

All Reader Reviews by Jeff Hollis

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Black Rock Gear Down Hat
I bought this hat a year ago and it goes on every backpacking trip and cold weather dog walks. My large weighs .9 oz. and warmer than anything close to that weight except maybe another down hat. I...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
December 31, 9:31am

Equinox 8 X 10 silnylon tarp
I have had this for a long time and it has seen at least 30+ nights on the trail. Have used it as sleep shelter and a place to hang out on trail or in camp when it is raining. THE GOOD! Price Wei...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
January 22, 10:49am

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
I have been using the similar RR Eco-Mesh for 10 years or more. Basically same shirt as the Adventure Shirt. It was suggested to me by the departed John O on his forum and he assured me that it was...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
January 20, 4:48pm

Marmot Essence
I own the original version which I believe came with Precip Plus which I think was supposed to be more breathable than regular Precip. I have owned it for about 4 years. It mostly stays in my pack...

In Clothing - Raingear
January 19, 5:19pm