BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Earth (mostly)
About Me Semi-retired from a govt type job working on the side. Goal here is more MPD in a UL, yet comfy style to experience scenic hikes without sweating buckets, but also crank out miles if needed for whatever. Mix hikes with travel too. Not into snowy sagas or recreating a French Foreign Legion forced desert march .. but never say never.

Gear list was for 3 days but made it almost as a "24-hour" adventure (like 25 hours) using the Z-pack
Statethe West is the Best
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 121 - 130 of 979 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...98

Forum » Thread

Re: Attention Enlightened Equipment Enigma quilt users!
I'm sold but have only used it to 30F so far (most days warmer than avg in Arizona and New Mexico) not tieing it to my pad and ventilating a bit (which is one reason I got it). In a couple da...

In GEAR » Attention Enlightened Equipment Enigma quilt users!
December 15, 3:35pm

Re: Bataan March New Mexico advice
I'll likely be there solo to to test myself out (plan on doing some "sand" walks leading up to the actual miles). Think the footwear advice is correct as a friend of mine lost all he...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Bataan March New Mexico advice
December 15, 3:29pm

Re: New to BPL and learning.
Feels great doesn't it? Why lug the weight if not needed and some of the UL stuff has such a low volume, a daypack could do for warmer temps. I owned the Gregory Reality ... great, feature r...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » New to BPL and learning.
December 14, 10:05pm

Re: Infographic / flier to hand out to newbies to help lighten their packs.
I'm not one to give out unsolicited advice and some large looking packs can actually be light (filled with down and Cuben fiber). In fact, the opposite may occur zipping down the trail. Passi...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Infographic / flier to hand out to newbies to help lighten their packs.
December 14, 9:28pm

Re: Advice- pack for both travel and backpacking
I would check out Kristin and Danny's gear list if that interests you. A number of other hikers carry some sort of computer tablet or smartphone to blog using regular UL backpacks (even a sil G...

In GEAR » Advice- pack for both travel and backpacking
December 13, 9:30pm

Insulation for changing metabolisms
Following the down jacket threads, I find myself shopping for the lightest down hoody that has the most insulation value (something like Montbell's Mirage Parka). Looking at BMR calculations (...

In GEAR » Insulation for changing metabolisms
December 13, 9:00am

Re: Another Public Transit Backpacking Trip in the San Francisco Bay Area
Great trip and photos. Nice to have the resources (lots of public lands) nearby public transport or trailheads. When the weather doesn't cooperate in the rest of North America, good to see so...

In Post-Trip Reports » Another Public Transit Backpacking Trip in the San Francisco Bay Area
December 05, 7:27am

DIY builders vs conventional builders
@Roger Those small homes are pretty basic. Modern regular home building in the Sunbelt is done by crews of "undocumented guest workers". Some relatives get work installing plumbing i...

In On the Web » The whole world is my living room
December 02, 1:01pm

Codes
Reading a few of these articles, mostly rural building codes are why these very small homes are on wheels - to get classified as an RV. Think they are called "occupancy codes" to keep pe...

December 02, 10:47am

Re: Re: Re: The whole world is my living room
@Roger Dodger That's probably good advice for most but most rural households (as late as great-grandparents for the middle aged Gen X and Late Boomers here) probably had an outhouse uphill o...

December 02, 10:35am

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.