Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Rick Dreher (halfturbo) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Northernish California
About Me There once was a hiker from Nantucket....

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rick Dreher

Showing 121 - 130 of 1656 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...166

Forum » Thread

Re: Pad
"It's the all season trekker." Hi Rafi, Don't mean to be a noodge, but that's like saying it's the Camry Corolla. T-Rest makes the Trekker series and the All-Season ...

In GEAR » Warmer alternative to neo air all season
November 02, 9:50pm

Re: I do have the all-season...
What quilt are you using? The All-Season should be quite warm well below freezing when paired with a bag/quilt also matched to the temperature. FWIW I've taken a standard short NeoAir comfortab...

In GEAR » Warmer alternative to neo air all season
November 02, 10:12am

Re: New Panasonic GX1
Hi Mark, Yeah, the GX1 looks like a significant release for Panny. In addition to what you've mentioned, it will accept the new high-resolution EVF (which won't be back-compatible with e...

In Photography » New Panasonic GX1
November 01, 4:23pm

Re: Which Sawyer Water Filtration Kit?
How much water stuff do you already own? You can buy just the cartridge (SP122), which has the quick-connect fittings, and craft your own system from existing bits. You'll need a raw water bag ...

In GEAR » Which Sawyer Water Filtration Kit?
November 01, 3:54pm

Re:Sony NEX Lens Impressions
I was able to handle the NEX-5N, the two new Nikons, and the Panny GF3 and G3 in a store today. If I had to choose among them based on ergonomics and the realities of shooting outdoors in direct su...

In Photography » Sony NEX Lens Impressions
October 29, 8:13pm

Re: Why I am Thinking of Stepping Up to the NEX-5
Hi Tony, may I offer a suggestion? Go through your existing photos and parse your shooting habits. By which I mean look at the zoom settings you used most often, what light conditions you shot in (...

October 27, 11:56am

Re: Bulb Exposure
The easiest way would be MF mode preset on infinity. I don't know how the AF lock functions on these cameras, but unless there's a "toggle" on/off option I'd avoid AF entirely...

October 27, 10:24am

Re: The lightest DSLR
Hi Brian, An E-510 would be no problem, it has quite a pronounced grip (and because of it has a larger battery than the 4## and 6## series cameras). I can one-hand big, heavy lenses with it. The...

In Photography » The lightest DSLR
October 21, 2:37pm

Re: Boosting thermal insulation of airmats with a CCF; is position important? Why?
This is from the Therm-A-Rest FAQs (emphasis added). "For the ultimate, ultralight solution to cold weather sleeping, travel with a small ProLite, ProLite Plus, or NeoAir mattress (dependin...

In Philosophy & Technique » Boosting thermal insulation of airmats with a CCF; is position important? Why?
October 21, 10:50am

Re: HYBRID poles??
Yes, Black Diamond Contour Elliptic Carbons are one such pole. Cheers, Rick

In GEAR » More durable hiking poles?
October 20, 7:19pm

All Reader Reviews by Rick Dreher

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Mountain Gear
I've placed a few orders with Mountain Gear, going as far back as when they were based in Idaho, and they've responded flawlessly each time. I admire the breadth and high quality of their sele...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 15, 2:03pm

Backcountrygear.com
I have to put in a plug for these folks, with whom I've shopped on line and over the phone, and who also have a store in soggy Eugene, Oregon. They have a great backpacking and climbing selection f...

November 20, 6:47pm

Recreational Equipment, Inc. (REI)
As another Seattle kid who loved few things more than pilgrammages to the Capitol Hill store, I still associate the smell of cresote with hiking gear. It's hard to imagine backpacking without REI. ...

November 20, 6:22pm

Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover
I upgraded to the Micro Puff pullover after several seasons with the old Puffball pullover. Lighter, warmer, stuffs smaller--the Micro Puff is an all-around improvement to what was already a fine garm...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
November 12, 12:53pm

MSR Titan Kettle
Noting the shape isn't the most efficient for squeezing every btu from the stove, the MSR kettle remains a very good single-pot option. It packs nicely, works well with small to medium stoves, pours w...

In Cookware - Titanium
January 15, 12:17pm

MSR SimmerLite
I find the Whisperlite to be MSR's easiest liquid stove to use, and certainly the nicest to lug, bulk and weight-wise. Simmering performance is best with a light touch on the fuel pump--try using l...

In Stoves - White Gas
December 20, 11:46am

Golite Hex 3
I've used a Hex 2, the 3's somewhat smaller brother, with good success for a few seasons. The quarters are a little snug for six-footers, but it's a minor concern. My main complaint is that the ventil...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
November 28, 8:43pm