Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Hiking Malto (gg-man) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Hiking Malto hasn't told us about their geographical region yet.
About Me Hiking Malto has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear List2011 PCT GearList

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Hiking Malto

Showing 121 - 130 of 1464 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...147

Forum » Thread

How about nothing
If you are sleeping on snow with an xtherm I don't see the purpose of any ground cloth. There is enough insulation in that pad that you won't have melting snow beneath you. I normally use...

In Winter Hiking » Ground cover for use with Duomid in winter conditions
December 03, 7:58pm

Sierra snowshoe
Likely the easiest logistically at Yosemite would be to snoeshoe out of Hetch Hetchy. There are several routes depending on your desired length. If you are really into it, I can recommend the loo...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Winter in California: Yosemite, Sequoia & Redwoods National Parks
December 02, 3:54pm

Couple points
1) Beware of chafing. 2) minimize the amount of clothes you get wet, wear lightest possible layers. 3) laugh at the rain, literally, it will make you feel better.

In Philosophy & Technique » Pearls for backpacking in the rain
December 01, 3:53pm

Death Valley
Look at the Cottonwood/marble Canyon Loop. If you take it pay attention when crossing over into Marble, its a bit trick to navigate.

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Death Valley, Panamint City via Surprise Canyon
December 01, 3:01pm

Re: Wet boots...on the inside
No, VBL and Goretex are the complete opposite. VBL keeps moisture from being transmitted through the membrane. Goretex is design TO transmit moisture through the membrane. Said another way. Gor...

In GEAR » Socks - neoprene or goretex?
December 01, 8:23am

Re: noob layering
"Not everyone hikes at 4mph Malto. ;)" I only wish! But actually you do have a point. I have been teased for starting out a cold morning without extra layers and hiking warmth in m...

In GEAR » Layer education for novice
November 30, 7:25pm

A better vest?
It's funny, while hiking yesterday I was thinking about how inefficient vests are when hiking in terms of warmth per weight. At least a third of the insulation is on your back, virtually usele...

In GEAR » Vests?
November 30, 6:39pm

Down to 20
I was out hiking a part of the AT in NY yesterday. Temperature was 24 deg. I was wearing thin base layer and windshirt and was toasty.

November 30, 4:41pm

Bob Open
Adan, Here is last year trip report at the bottom of the page. http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=67376&startat=80 Here is...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » 3rd Annual BPL Spring Run -Zion Training Thread
November 30, 9:12am

Layers
For temperatures above 20 I have two layers. A VERY lightweight long sleeve short. mine is Golite but it could be anything like Cap 1. Windshirt... For temperatures below freezing or in the 30s ...

November 30, 7:55am

All Reader Reviews by Hiking Malto

Hiking Malto has posted no reviews.