BPL Community Profile

Elliott Wolin (ewolin) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Hampton Roads, Virginia
About Me I am a 60 year old Ph.D research physicist. With the kids gone we can occasionally afford to fly off to other parts of the country for backpacking and kayaking trips. I dream of going to Nepal, the Alps, and New Zealand, or back to Alaska.

I make a lot of my own UL equipment: pyramid tent, tarps, net tents, quilts, wind shirts and pants, jackets, kayaking gear, etc.

UL kayak camping is great, you get a real advantage over traditional paddlers who take everything, including the kitchen sink.
CityWilliamsburg
StateVA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://picasaweb.google.com/ewolin

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Elliott Wolin

Showing 121 - 130 of 638 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...64

Forum » Thread

RE: Examples of "Stupid Light
I read somewhere that human digestive systems are way less efficient digesting raw or uncooked foods compared to cooked foods. Something like 60% vs 90% or more. That is, it is possible that you ...

In GEAR » Examples of "Stupid Light"
February 23, 4:42pm

RE: wtf is with crazy shipping costs for small items
I've had some luck with smaller companies keeping shipping costs down. E.g. I'll call and point out that they can just put the item in a manila envelope and ship it first class for a dolla...

In Chaff » wtf is with crazy shipping costs for small items?
February 14, 12:03pm

RE: Foam Vest Meets Fishnet
Fishnet underwear is definitely multi-purpose. I plan to use it to seine for live bait. ;-)

In Make Your Own Gear » Foam Vest Meets Fishnet
February 14, 11:59am

Should I buy a Sony RX100 to replace my old Canon G5?
When I want to take decent pictures I've been taking my 12 oz Canon G5. The time has come to replace it and I've heard many wonderful things about the 8 oz Sony RX100. The price is slowly...

In Photography » Should I buy a Sony RX100 to replace my old Canon G5?
February 12, 1:11pm

RE: Grand Canyon rim-to-rim-to-rim hike opinions/information needed
Another question: is it possible in November to camp beyond Cottonwood so as to make the day-hike to the North Rim more manageable? That is, hike from Bright Angel to (say) near Roaring Springs an...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Grand Canyon rim-to-rim-to-rim hike opinions/information needed
February 11, 1:56pm

Grand Canyon rim-to-rim-to-rim hike opinions/information needed
A few years ago in November we started at the South Rim and camped at Bright Angel, next day we day-hiked up the North Kaibab trail and stayed another night at Bright Angel, next day up to Indian G...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Grand Canyon rim-to-rim-to-rim hike opinions/information needed
February 09, 3:50pm

RE: Camping with partner?
Robert: At least your wife lets you wear your "Bomber Hat". I made one out of some powder-blue 1.1 ripstop I got on clearance, and my family thinks it is hilarious. They like to take...

In GEAR » Camping with partner?
February 09, 9:36am

RE: Camping with partner?
My wife and I have been camping together regularly since 1973. We started with a tent (double A-frame, then dome) and separate sleeping bags (zipped together if possible), moved to a two-person ...

In GEAR » Camping with partner?
February 08, 4:12pm

RE: What New Gear are you trying for 2013
Original Neoair short purchased on clearance (otherwise I couldn't afford it) instead of Thermarest Prolite short (too thin for my old bones unless the ground is nice and soft). Steripen Opt...

In GEAR » What New Gear are you trying for 2013
January 28, 11:41am

RE: Suggestion: Marking, not removing, sold items
I agree!

In Gear Swap » Suggestion: Marking, not removing, sold items
January 28, 11:30am

All Reader Reviews by Elliott Wolin

Showing 1 - 10 of 42 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Review

Category

Sierra Designs customer service
A number of years ago I pulled out my SD Dome tent right before a camping trip (original model, very light 4-season 3-person tent for 1980, under 7 lbs) and found that the shock cords in the poles had...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
August 05, 10:22am

Rollei 35 SE
I purchased a 35LED right after it came out in the late 1970's. The first model had a faulty on/off switch and they replaced it for free. From that day on I had nothing but praise for the little...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
July 23, 1:44pm

Ultimate Hiker's Gear Guide -Andrew Skurka book
Just read it and strongly agree with previous reviews. Having also just read UL Backpacking Tips by Clelland, which advocates pushing to the limit of UL, I was pleased to see that Skurka disagreed wi...

In Books and Media
July 10, 1:39pm

The Ray-Way Tarp Book Essential
This is a completely revised and greatly expanded version of Jardine's original Tarp Book. The first version was as much a tutorial and instruction manual on how to sew a Ray-Way tarp as a discuss...

In Books and Media
November 13, 12:32pm

Marmot Marmot
The coating on my Precip jacket started flaking off around the neck and shoulders (my wife's is fine, purchased the same time, used about the same amount which is not much). Got an RA number, s...

May 02, 3:08pm

Gregory Customer Support
I purchased a Gregory Snow Creek around 1981. It was one of the best packs available then (5 1/2 lbs). I added a lumbar support pad soon after, for no particularly good reason. Fast forward to 201...

August 20, 5:59pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
We've been using the Prolite 3 short (13 oz, latest model 11 oz) for a few years now with great success on all sorts of surfaces from wooden lean-to floors and hard-pan car camping sites to soft d...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 03, 2:22pm

Golite Pinnacle Pack
My wife borrowed my daughter's new woman's Golite Pinnacle pack for our 4-day trip down the Grand Canyon (mid-Nov 2009). She was very happy with it, and found it perfectly comfortable for our...

In Backpacks - Frameless
November 28, 8:08pm

Coleman Customer Service
Turned on my Coleman Powermax Exponent Xtreme and the knob did nothing. Discovered the valve was stuck and the spline threads on the knob got stripped. Removed the knob, freed the stuck valve, opene...

November 06, 7:34pm

GoLite GoLite customer service
The seam tape on a Golite waterproof/breathable jacket started lifting off after a few uses. Sent it back and they quickly offered a free replacement. Alternatively, they offered a credit equal to t...

September 03, 7:36am