Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Evan McCarthy (evanrussia) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Mid-Atlantic
About Me UL Backpacker
My Website URL
My PDF Gear ListGear List for June-July Kungsleden

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Evan McCarthy

Showing 121 - 130 of 394 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...40

Forum » Thread

Quick Defense
I've learned countless bits of useful -- even necessary -- information from guys like David Ure, and made big purchases based on their input into the threads here. The experience and wisdom of...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Open Letter: Don't make the Gear Swap for members only
December 16, 7:56pm

Need PNW Help - Backpacking the Columbia River Gorge End of December
I'm visiting my wife's family in Portland and Hood River this Christmas time and I really want to get out for a night. Can I get up on the PCT or any of the trails and do a 20-30 mile circ...

In Winter Hiking » Need PNW Help - Backpacking the Columbia River Gorge End of December
December 14, 3:14pm

Bivy or Mid
When there isn't much snow called for, I just use a bivy in the winter (MLD's older eVent Alpine bivy). Works great, lovely to watch the winter stars, and there's no need for bug or wi...

In Winter Hiking » Using a bivy only in winter
December 14, 1:15pm

Re: 2012 Newt
I guess it would be the Gingrich that stole Christmas ...

In Gear Deals » 2012 MLD NEWT PACK
December 13, 9:39am

It worked for me
I tend to be cold and I still found that layering a Patagonia Nano Puff under my Alpine Light Down Parka worked in the 20s. Toss on a wind shirt over it all for an extra kick.

In Winter Hiking » Winter layering
December 12, 6:01pm

Re: George Matthews
Thank you, Chad, for thinking about your father and his love for BPL. He taught the rest of us a ton through poignant gear and life reflections. He will be missed.

In Chaff » R.I.P. George Matthews
December 08, 5:34pm

Transitioning from 3-4 Day Trips to Two Weeks (and Beyond)
A question for those who know their way around a longer trek: I pump out long mileage days (20-25+) with glee and no body issues -- but have thus far only been able to get out for 3-4 days max. ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Transitioning from 3-4 Day Trips to Two Weeks (and Beyond)
December 08, 4:49pm

Stick with MLD and have Ron make it to your desire. You can't possibly go wrong. Wonderful stuff.

In GEAR » I need a new bivy
December 08, 4:43pm

Gimme Shelter
I finally found a sweet spot switching between two options: either an MLD Pro Solo Cuben Tarp and Superlight bivy with full net hood for the lighter option when wind and precipitation aren't g...

In GEAR » Not another shelter thread.
December 07, 7:59pm

Newt Rises in the Polls . . .
Thanks, Ron! I was thinking about grabbing a Newt for an around the office and town bag (not to mention SUL sack). I appreciate the sale!

In Gear Deals » MLD 2011 NEWT SALE
December 07, 3:34pm

All Reader Reviews by Evan McCarthy

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Nunatak Arc Edge
I was dubious about an 11 oz. quilt that keeps you warm when pushing it -- but I just go back from an outing with the Arc Edge down to high 30s even (not quite expected) and found the quilt and Nunata...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
April 17, 6:48pm