BPL Community Profile

Evan McCarthy (evanrussia) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Northern Europe
About Me Expat UL backpacker living in Riga and exploring Northern Europe's trail and forests.
CityRiga
StateRiga
CountryLatvia
My Website URLhttps://www.facebook.com/evankylemccarthy
My PDF Gear ListGear List for June-July Kungsleden

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Evan McCarthy

Showing 121 - 130 of 391 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...40

Forum » Thread

Re: 2012 Newt
I guess it would be the Gingrich that stole Christmas ...

In Gear Deals » 2012 MLD NEWT PACK
December 13, 9:39am

It worked for me
I tend to be cold and I still found that layering a Patagonia Nano Puff under my Alpine Light Down Parka worked in the 20s. Toss on a wind shirt over it all for an extra kick.

In Winter Hiking » Winter layering
December 12, 6:01pm

Re: George Matthews
Thank you, Chad, for thinking about your father and his love for BPL. He taught the rest of us a ton through poignant gear and life reflections. He will be missed.

In Chaff » R.I.P. George Matthews
December 08, 5:34pm

Transitioning from 3-4 Day Trips to Two Weeks (and Beyond)
A question for those who know their way around a longer trek: I pump out long mileage days (20-25+) with glee and no body issues -- but have thus far only been able to get out for 3-4 days max. ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Transitioning from 3-4 Day Trips to Two Weeks (and Beyond)
December 08, 4:49pm

MLD
Stick with MLD and have Ron make it to your desire. You can't possibly go wrong. Wonderful stuff.

In GEAR » I need a new bivy
December 08, 4:43pm

Gimme Shelter
I finally found a sweet spot switching between two options: either an MLD Pro Solo Cuben Tarp and Superlight bivy with full net hood for the lighter option when wind and precipitation aren't g...

In GEAR » Not another shelter thread.
December 07, 7:59pm

Newt Rises in the Polls . . .
Thanks, Ron! I was thinking about grabbing a Newt for an around the office and town bag (not to mention SUL sack). I appreciate the sale!

In Gear Deals » MLD 2011 NEWT SALE
December 07, 3:34pm

Meetup and Its Discontents
Hi Matt, I started DC UL Backpacking a few years ago on meetup and then decided last summer that I would prefer to leave meetup and backpack with folks I personally knew who enjoyed 20 mile days a...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Looking for backpacking partner(s) [mid-Atlantic region]
December 05, 1:46pm

Mark Jenkins is Pretty Phenomenal
I personally know Mark Jenkins from Tajikistan in 2005. At the time, he and some compatriots made their way across Afghanistan's Wakhan Corridor by going from "warlord to warlord" ov...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Survival expert can't figure out how to pitch a tarp...
November 26, 10:20am

Re: Editorial on Occupy Wall Street
"Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?" -Gimli In all seriousness, here's a must-read article on the origins of the occupy movement. htt...

In Chaff » Editorial on Occupy Wall Street
November 22, 4:04pm

All Reader Reviews by Evan McCarthy

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Nunatak Arc Edge
I was dubious about an 11 oz. quilt that keeps you warm when pushing it -- but I just go back from an outing with the Arc Edge down to high 30s even (not quite expected) and found the quilt and Nunata...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
April 17, 6:48pm