November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Mina Loomis (elmvine) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Central Texas
About Me I have been backpacking on and off in the western US since college in the early 1970's. Summer 1970 a bunch of us spent a week in the Three Sisters Wilderness in Oregon barefoot with blankets, book bags, and no proper gear at all. Now I coordinate youth backpacking for our Camp Fire council, and enjoy taking the kids to the mountains. I hope to take up more long distance walking after retirement.
My Website URL
My PDF Gear ListJMT 2011 Gear List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mina Loomis

Showing 121 - 130 of 215 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Forum » Thread

Big Bend Ranch State Park
Calling on anyone familiar with Big Bend Ranch State Park. We (my husband and I) are thinking of going over there for the first time at the end of December or in early January. Thinking of hiking...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Big Bend Ranch State Park
December 05, 10:38am

Mid in wind
I had something like that happen last summer in west Texas. Gatewood Cape--sort of a modified pyramid. Monahans Sandhills. Not raining, although it had rained earlier. But steady strong wind all...

In GEAR » 'Mid vs TT Moment in psycho winds
November 15, 9:07pm

Pecos Baldy
Lucas, I haven't been up Trailriders Wall, although I mean to go that way sometime. Have only been to the top of the saddle in that direction, where there's a rocky outcrop in the middle, ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Fear and Loneliness on the Ozark Highlands Trail
October 23, 9:56am

loneliness, pacing
I too really enjoyed reading your report. Thank you for sharing it. I have not done much solo overnight hiking. But I got that spooky feeling--what am I *doing* out here?--on a New Mexico tr...

In Editor's Roundtable » Fear and Loneliness on the Ozark Highlands Trail
October 13, 7:11pm

Modifying A-frame
Sometimes there is a big windy rainy storm coming in, and you have to mess around with it like this:

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Tarp question
October 12, 6:48pm

Mariposa straps
+1 on the pipe insulation instead of the flat foam provided. It's much more comfortable on the shoulders and chest, in addition to making the straps a bit narrower.

In GEAR » GG Mariposa Plus/ SMD Starlite Questions
October 02, 9:51pm

Water bladders
I offer a specific experience of exactly how a hydration bladder can fail in a pack. My husband wanted a neatsy cool Camelbak bladder for his pack for our Wonderland Trail hike. So I got him one ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Internal Frame Packs: a State of the Market Report - Part 1C: Main Bag & Comfort
September 19, 11:48am

The Book
I have little experience in most of what you are proposing to do. But given your plans I think you will find this article fascinating. I did. The Book

In Gear Lists » Backpacking the Americas
September 08, 12:12pm

Kids sharing tents
I should clarify. What I meant was parents getting their kids a 3-lb solo tent, or even a 5-lb. 2-person tent, to use alone on youth trips. Not parents getting the kid out of the family tent. At...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Do you think ideas are discounted because of the source?
September 05, 9:19pm

REI etc.
Hmm. Yes there are many REI clerks who advise as you describe. Traditional backpackers are certainly the norm, and REI clerks are no different. I am a part-time REI salesclerk. To the exten...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Do you think ideas are discounted because of the source?
September 04, 5:13pm

All Reader Reviews by Mina Loomis

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Lost Canyon by Nina Revoyr
Review of Lost Canyon by Nina Revoyr To start—the book has a lovely cover of dark mountain scenery, which drew me in but with a shadow of trouble to come. Then there’s a “hand-drawn” map that remi...

In Books and Media
October 20, 3:25pm