Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Mina Loomis (elmvine) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Central Texas
About Me I have been backpacking on and off in the western US since college in the early 1970's. Summer 1970 a bunch of us spent a week in the Three Sisters Wilderness in Oregon barefoot with blankets, book bags, and no proper gear at all. Now I coordinate youth backpacking for our Camp Fire council, and enjoy taking the kids to the mountains. I hope to take up more long distance walking after retirement.
CityAustin
StateTexas
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.camp-fire.org
My PDF Gear ListJMT 2011 Gear List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mina Loomis

Showing 121 - 130 of 202 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Forum » Thread

Chacos
+1 on the Chacos. You mention you work on a concrete floor all day. I work at an REI, on a concrete floor all day, and I and a substantial portion of my coworkers wear Chacos on the job. They ju...

In GEAR » Insoles and cushioning
August 22, 6:09pm

Hanging food in pack
I tried that last year on our Wonderland trip. Seemed like a good idea at the time--why bring an extra sack when at night my pack is empty. Might as well skip a food hanging sack and hang the pac...

In GEAR » BPL headnet question
July 16, 9:26pm

put the knot into the pole end first
It's hard to be sure without a picture, but what you are describing sounds like the way a lot of shock-corded poles are designed. If the tip has pulled out, or if you have taken it apart to re...

In GEAR » tarptent pole end problem
July 08, 10:01pm

Backpacking Shepherd's Pie
Here is a version for Shepherd's Pie I worked up for our Camp Fire trip to Pecos Wilderness last week. It is for a lot of people so recalculate as needed. Wheatsville is our local food coop. ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Backpacking Shepherd's Pie
July 06, 12:08pm

I think I've got it
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions! I am trying to come up with something that uses the tomato powder, and that doesn't involve going through dehydrating the complete sauce and then bre...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Spaghetti sauce from tomato powder
June 16, 1:54pm

leather vs. powder
Thanks for all your ideas. I haven't ever tried putting the leather in the blender. It's never seemed like it would be brittle enough to work. (I have another backpacking casserole the k...

June 14, 2:53pm

Spaghetti sauce from tomato powder
I am working on the food for a 5-day youth backpacking trip, 13 kids and 5 adults, including some vegetarians and vegans, so a lot of food to make. The kids are doing a lot of the preparation so I...

June 14, 10:54am

REI dividend and always shopping on sale
Maybe you already know this. But just in case: If you get the REI Visa card and use that for your REI purchases, you will earn an additional 5% in your dividend. And that additional 5% even go...

In Chaff » So what did you do with your dividend?
March 29, 8:56pm

zippers
I like to give sticky zippers a good thorough rubbing with a pencil point. Graphite. Also used in powdered form to lubricate locks. Doesn't pick up grit like soap or chapstick would.

In GEAR » sticky sleeping bag zippers
February 22, 11:01pm

Texas trips
Most of the good places I know of have been touched on in posts above. Some additional detail on some: Pedernales Falls SP. You can get 17 miles out of this park if you do all the trails inclu...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Texas Backpacking?
February 07, 8:02pm

All Reader Reviews by Mina Loomis

Mina Loomis has posted no reviews.