BPL Community Profile

Don Wilson (don) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Koyukuk River, Alaska
About Me Don Wilson has not added a biography yet.
StateAZ

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Don Wilson

Showing 121 - 130 of 136 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Forum » Thread

Name that snake
Hey Brett - I was a herpetologist in another life, before BPL. Beautiful snake. The snake in question is a rat snake, genus Elaphe. Probably of the most common species in the US, E. obsole...

In GEAR » Neck Lanyard
November 09, 5:45pm

TNF still producing DIAD
I believe TNF is still producing the DIAD. Sometimes they leave things off the website due to seasonal production or availability. Don

In GEAR » North Face DIAD
November 09, 3:53pm

Re: Food and Weight
Hi Randy - I am a pretty lean guy - 6 feet 4 inches, but only 175 pounds. In fact, I'm beyond lean and just downright skinny. It's hard for me to put on extra weight, though I guess that's a ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Notes from the Field: Summer on the Pacific Crest Trail
October 29, 7:42pm

Checking out my avatar
OK, I'm vain enough to admit I'm just posting to see what my new avatar looks like. DW

In Community Support Forum » Forum Profile
October 27, 11:09pm

Re: Thanks
Hi Frank - Yes, you will be able to spend time with other hikers, especially in the southern portion of the PCT. During May and June hikers are all packed into a fairly small span of time. If...

In Editor's Roundtable » Notes from the Field: Summer on the Pacific Crest Trail
October 27, 10:56pm

PCT in October
Adam - That section of the PCT from Mojave to Forrester Pass is a nice section if you like the desert. But it will be late in the season and fresh, heavy snow is certainly possible in October....

October 26, 8:04am

Questions and Comment Response
Hi everyone - Thanks for the comments and questions. Yes, Adam is correct re the photo ID. Sorry if that was confusing. Alfred - yes, living in the desert has made me very sun consci...

October 25, 10:59pm

Spotlite was pre-production version
Aaron - Yes, the production version of the Virga is not the same as the version we spotlighted earlier this year. See Will's post above. I am the tall guy in the spotlight photo, and I'...

In GEAR » GoLite Virga now available
September 29, 10:24pm

More on Wool 2 from Patagonia
We did a short Spotlite in April on a Wool 2 base layer. See the Spotlite review section and scroll down to April. I've had one for 7 months and am quite happy with it. Performance and weight...

In GEAR » Patagonia Wool 2?
September 25, 10:07pm

Re: DIY kits
That's a good idea. It would be nice to see how a DIY garment built by a moderately skilled person compares with the commercial products. We'll consider that in future review summaries.

In GEAR » 2005 Lightweight Down Jackets Review Summary and Gear Guide Overview
December 22, 10:22am

All Reader Reviews by Don Wilson

Showing 1 - 8 of 8 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Western Mountaineering SummerLite
Agreed. A superb bag - at the top of the pile for light mummy bags. See our review at: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/western_mountaineering_summerlite_sleeping_bag_r...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
March 21, 10:57am

Nike Lava Dome
Thanks for that blast from the past Randy. I wore a pair of Lava Domes for several years, including over 20 days of climbing on El Cap in Yosemite. Nothing is tougher on shoes than time spent aid cli...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
November 27, 7:20pm

Complete Walker by Colin Fletcher
His writing is unforgettable. In The Man Who Walked Through Time he describes a day spent lying naked on a beach along the Colorado, in a remote section of the Grand Canyon. I'll never forget his desc...

In Books and Media
November 21, 9:56pm

Montane Featherlite H2O
This jacket certainly caught our attention at BPL. We recently obtained a test sample from Montane and we'll be doing a full review. I'm anxious to get in into some nasty conditions. If it even has re...

In Clothing - Raingear
November 02, 3:56pm

Western Mountaineering Flight Jacket
I agree but of note for potential buyers - the XL is 13 ounces, more additional weight than I would have expected. But it is an excellent jacket. I'm still giving it a 5 also.

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
October 29, 1:27pm

GoLite Virga
We'll be taking a closer look at the Virga in the near future. But the prototype version we tested was an exceptionally light jacket at 6 ounces, and performed reasonably well. It is lacking in du...

In Clothing - Raingear
October 24, 8:24pm

Nunatak SkahaPlus
Hope you all have seen our SPOTLITE review of the SkahaPlus, published last December. The Skaha is really a superb performer in loft per weight. And the new optional features give you a chance to mak...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
September 01, 11:41am

Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover
I've had mine for 6 months or so. I find I use it more than any other piece of insulating clothing. I've used it in the desert, mountains, rain forest - you name it. It stuffs easily into its own pock...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
August 07, 5:27pm