Dan Durston (dandydan) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Cascadia
About Me -
CityThunder Bay
StateON
CountryCanada
My Website URLhttp://www.motorscooterguide.net
My PDF Gear ListBMWO 2013

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Dan Durston

Showing 121 - 130 of 3914 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...392

Forum » Thread

AT Nordic
Excellent. I've been pondering something similar, just a bit more powder capable. I'm thinking Voile Vector BC skis (fishscales, 117-94-107, 6 lbs) and up a level for boot stiffness.

In Editor's Roundtable » AT Nordic Ski Systems: Discovering the Best of Backcountry Nordic and Alpine Touring Systems Through Hybridization
February 19, 10:17am

H52 Glow in the Dark
My wife got an H52 last week and it just came with a black holder, no glow in the dark. I was slightly disappointed because I love this glow in the dark holder for my H51 (easy to find in the tent)...

In Make Your Own Gear » Zebralight H52 head strap
February 18, 9:17pm

Trimming
I like cutting off straps. It's partly because of weight savings, but also because it's much nicer to use a pack that doesn't have straps dangling everywhere. You need to be smart about...

In GEAR » How much weight will I shed if I start trimming the straps on my pack (Lowe Alpine Zepton 50?)
February 18, 5:55pm

RD WIndshirt
"@Dan–Curious what size you went for in the RD, Dan? Also, is there actually a meaningful amount of stretch? " I'm a hair under 6 feet and 165 lbs. I went with the medium and it ...

In GEAR » A Visual Paradigm for Windshirts - Multiple Axis of Understanding.-Rev 0
February 18, 9:18am

Cone
Adam, No I never did try the cork. I just couldn't bring myself to glue it onto the pot, as it's sort of a committing move. I'm also quite happy with how this system is working now. ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Caldera Cones - My Adventures in Improving the ULC system
February 17, 2:27pm

RD
The RD is a good windshirt. The hood seals well around the face to keep out bugs, so it's highly funtional in bug season. It is a bit heavier than some windshirts, but the weight is all in the ...

In GEAR » A Visual Paradigm for Windshirts - Multiple Axis of Understanding.-Rev 0
February 17, 11:37am

Fill
BPL collected data on the down fill of quite a few jackets in the State of the Market Report a couple years ago. You can view that here and add these to your spreadsheet: http://www.backpackingl...

In GEAR » The math around fill power and loft and jacket comparison.
February 17, 6:33am

Windshirts
Wow. This is a really cool analysis. Thanks. It clearly reveals the difference (trade-off) between the '12 Houdini and the newer version. I tend to agree with Eric that a single axis coul...

February 17, 6:22am

Down
Your approach is generally a fair one to use. I think it's far better than crude measures of loft. There are minor issues, such as hoods as you mention and differences in cut, sizing, distribut...

In GEAR » The math around fill power and loft and jacket comparison.
February 16, 10:13pm

Arcteryx
Thanks for the video. The Cerium SL looks like a nice jacket. I do wish they'd go another route than their selective use of synthetic insulation, as its likely to bve shorter lived and frankly ...

In GEAR » Fall 2014 Arcteryx Cerium SL Jacket and Ceres Parka VIDEO
February 16, 5:39pm

All Reader Reviews by Dan Durston

Showing 1 - 10 of 25 | Page: 1 2 3

Review

Category

Mountain Laurel Designs Cuben DuoMid
The DuoMid is the best shelter for solo hikers. Don't be misled by the "Duo" in its name - you could cram two hikers in here but it's poorly suited for that (ie. no vestibule space, ...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
September 22, 1:56pm

Evernew 300ml Dbl Wall Mug (ECA354)
I like the idea of a robust, double wall titanium mug that may be a bit heavier...

In Cookware - Titanium
September 22, 11:01am

Montane Minimus DT Pant
These pants are a very niche product. They're light (4.25oz Med) but the Pertex Shield+ m...

In Clothing - Raingear
September 22, 10:31am

Spark-Lite Fire Starter (Survival Gear - BPL Gear Shop)
I have this kit and the FireLite Mini kit. This sparker is a bit lighter than the FireLite Mini but I don't trust this sparker 100% like I do the FireLite. This sparker doesn't work well wh...

In First Aid and Survival Gear & Accessories
October 28, 11:21pm

BPL FireLite Firestarter
I love this FireLite Mini. It's the only thing that I 100% trust to start a fire. With a mini Bic you can run out of gas, be at too high of an altitude, get it wet or get it oily. Matches can ...

In First Aid and Survival Gear & Accessories
October 28, 11:19pm

Hyperlight Mtn Gear Echo I
I wasn't sure where to put this review as the Echo I can be used as either a tarp or a double wall tent. OVERVIEW I've given the Echo I five stars because it's quality construct...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
October 16, 4:15pm

Golite 2006 Reed Pants
I've got the original Reed pants (4oz in a size medium) and they are prefect rain pants for UL hiking. They've been adequately durable, totally waterproof and light. I don't want ankle zip...

In Clothing - Raingear
October 15, 10:27pm

Marmot Essence
I'll be the first one to give this jacket 5 stars. Marmot has made a number of changes to this jacket over the years so criticisms of the earlier models are no longer relevant. My Essence is t...

In Clothing - Raingear
October 15, 10:22pm

Baladeo 22 Grams Knife
This knife is a brilliant design. Every part of it is functional and the result is a lot of knife for just 22g (or 24.3g as mine as actually weighs). When I opened the (very nice) box and first played...

In Miscellaneous Products
October 03, 6:10pm

Nite ize S-Biner
After using another small biner that failed due to a poor design, I switched the Nite Ize Size 1 biner for bear bagging this summer. I use one of these to clip to my 1.4mm spectra cord to my food sack...

In Miscellaneous Products
October 03, 5:56pm