BPL Community Profile

Matt Lutz (citystuckhiker) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Midwest
About Me Hiker-turned-ultramarathon runner. Sorry backpack, I've neglected you.
CityMankato
StateMinnesota
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://crazyrunnerguy.blogspot.com
My PDF Gear ListWinter 2011-12

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Matt Lutz

Showing 121 - 130 of 805 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...81

Forum » Thread

Re: What do you think of the Zpacks?
I have a sil Z1 without any added accessories (had sternum strap removed and cut off hipbelt). It is my go-to pack whenever I am not carrying a tent. The pack is a great mix of UL principles and mi...

In GEAR » What do you think of the Zpacks?
January 10, 3:25pm

Re: Who has the best factory dwr?
Good question. I can't compare, but I've liked GoLite's DWR (on Wisp jacket) and Montbell's PolkaTek. MB's DWR has a lot of fans here. For MYOG'ers, Momentum 90 is the be...

In GEAR » Who has the best factory dwr?
January 10, 3:23pm

Re: Nice review
Emmett, I've had a similar thoughts and always end up keeping my Hydrogen. I have a 2007 model with the 1/2 zip, and love it. I wish it had a narrower cut (and I knew about narrow cuts when I b...

In Editor's Roundtable » Marmot Hydrogen Sleeping Bag Review
January 05, 7:56pm

Re: Re: awesome info
Similar situation re: pads. On the Parcour /w Sam, I carried only a 3/4 Ridgerest. Temps hit mid-to-low single digits, and I was coldish on occasions. However, when I returned to MN and put the sys...

In Philosophy & Technique » bivy sack = not fun
January 04, 9:12pm

Re: Your favorite wind proof headwear?
Hooded windshirt on top of R1 Hoody. Hooded puffy parkas also help. I also have an OR Sonic Balaclava (mesh removed) that I use when things get ridiculous.

In GEAR » Your favorite wind proof headwear?
January 04, 12:30pm

Re: Full side zip shell pants
Matt Hage also used Marmot Precip full zips during his 2007 trip to Denali.

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Full side zip shell pants
January 04, 7:45am

Re: REI Quarterdome UI
Call up REI and see if you can get a replacement. Otherwise, eBay, Craig's List, etc. and search for one. Someone here (Doug Johnson maybe?) just recently had a thread about making a tent fly a...

In Make Your Own Gear » REI Quarterdome UI
January 02, 9:26pm

Re: Double Rainbow, Lunar Duo, or Nallo 2 what would you choose?
I have a DR and have seen the Duo up close. If you want room, go with the Duo.

In GEAR » Double Rainbow, Lunar Duo, or Nallo 2 what would you choose?
January 02, 9:25pm

Re: 2010 UL Gear List
Can't argue with the list. Looks good, hit all the essentials. I'd get a real toothbrush, though.

In Gear Lists » 2010 UL Gear List
January 02, 4:34pm

Re: "Single best piece of advice ever given? What's yours?"
www.crazyrunnerguy.blogspot.com

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Single best piece of advice ever given? What's yours?
January 02, 4:31pm

All Reader Reviews by Matt Lutz

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Marmot Scree (softshell pants)
There is so much to love about these pants, but the little details kill any possibility of a 5 rating. So 4 it is. The good: The pants are made of Marmot's proprietary M3 fabric, which is a ...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
October 20, 9:50am

Zpacks Z1
I bought my Z1 from a BPL forum member. It had a webbing waist belt and a removable sternum strap. I have since removed the waistbelt (via scissors) and removed the sternum strap, which was attached t...

In Backpacks - Frameless
October 03, 10:22am

Montbell UL Down Inner Parka
I have a 2008 MB Inner down Parka, and I wish I would have waited until the 2009 models were released before hitting "submit order." I have a size small, which weighs in at 7.2 oz. The ja...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
October 03, 9:24am

Black Diamond Windweight (formerly Jetstream)
I have owned two pairs of BD wind-proof liner gloves - an older pair of Jetstreams and the new model, their Windweights. Both used Polartec Windbloc fabric. These gloves are excellent next-to-skin...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
October 03, 9:15am

Black Diamond Powerstretch (now Midweights)
These are my go-to liner gloves for all seasons. In three-season wear, they are are breathable and not too warm when the temperature dips. In cold and wet weather, I use them under a pair of MLD eVent...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
October 03, 8:50am