Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Harrison Carpenter (carpenh) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale St. Vrain River Valley
About Me They call me Carp-Dawg, Dr. C, The Rodent Whisperer, and/or Rat Man-- depending upon who they are and what they see me doing.
StateColorado
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear List3-day, 3-season, Solo

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Harrison Carpenter

Showing 121 - 130 of 141 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Forum » Thread

Avoid dairy and eggs
If you can put together energy bars without including any dairy or egg ingredients, you can make some that are very shelf-stable. Personally I like to make my own date-nute bars (think homemade Lar...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Making and Packaging Energy Bars
September 19, 12:33pm

Do it yourself
First: +1 for Sarah. Second: my thoughts. Looking at your list, the first thing that strikes me is that so much of it is pre-packaged, pre-made, stuff. While that's not necessarily a ba...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » backpacking food
September 19, 6:57am

Da Porkies!
Thanks so much for sharing this. I grew up in the Keweenaw, and got my first taste of backpacking in the Porkies. It's a place near and dear to my heart. I hope you had a pasty at Syl's...

In Post-Trip Reports » Porcupine Mountains
September 10, 7:51pm

Finally!
At long, long last! I appear to have developed a three-season gear list whose base pack weight (BPW) is under 10 lb! Still, I need feedback. Tell me, oh wise ones with much more experience/know...

In Gear Lists » Finally!
September 09, 9:56am

Re:
Odd. My first word was "pointless," followed quickly by "hyperbole."

In Chaff » Backpacker just came in the mail
September 08, 8:30pm

Good to see
Good to see you find Google Scholar useful. If you're really ambitious, you might find getting into PubMed (the National Library of Medicine's database) productive. You should be able to se...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Giardia study: hikers and bad hygiene?
September 08, 8:43am

Durable?
Good looking snack food (and a fine pic). How well did the balls hold up during the hike? I'd be worried about them melting into a gooey mess, unless it was pretty cool outside.

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Raw Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls
September 07, 7:31pm

Google Scholar?
Have you looked there? Google Scholar isn't a perfect database by any means, but it has a fair amount of peer reviewed studies/reviews linked in. Acquiring full-text .PDFs is another matter, of...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Giardia study: hikers and bad hygiene?
September 07, 7:25pm

Used stuff
If you're subscribed here, you can make use of the Gear Swap forum, and see what other members are selling. You might also find the Selling Used Gear forum on Whiteblaze.net worth a try. I ...

In GEAR » Newbie With Questions
September 06, 9:19am

More
It's not a question of carrying water or not carrying water. It's more a question of how to make sure the water I carry is safe to drink. When carrying water that is undergoing treatmen...

In GEAR » Water treatment thoughts
September 03, 4:47pm

All Reader Reviews by Harrison Carpenter

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent Notch
This is more of an initial test report. After sealing my Notch's seams, and doing several test-pitches in my backyard, I took it out into Colorado's Indian Peaks Wilderness Area for an overnig...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
September 23, 7:09pm