Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Kevin Beeden (captain_paranoia) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale UK
About Me Kevin Beeden has not added a biography yet.
CountryUK

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Kevin Beeden

Showing 121 - 130 of 434 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...44

Forum » Thread

free ones...
Some examples of these pouches for drinks/food use were posted on the OM Meths Burner Q&A thread. I'd collected a few, but they felt just a bit too vulnerable for my liking, and the narr...

In Make Your Own Gear » Hi, cool fuel container
January 24, 11:15am

it's a tin can
As others have suggested, I think it's a 'tin can'; a steel can, electroplated with tin, hence the weight. It's a modern tin can, though, using a butt-welded joint, rather than the...

In Make Your Own Gear » 1 L Paulener October Wiesn beer can as a pot?
January 24, 11:11am

latest fin model
Here's the worked-up SketchUp model of the insulated, vented HX can system. The darker band around the centre is meant to represent a strip of flue tape, to hold things together, and provide...

In Make Your Own Gear » Fins on a Rockstar can
January 19, 10:28am

re: things...
> What do they flash roofs with in the UK? Michael, the most common material is still lead, or a lead-alike, and it's thick. Either that or bitumenised felt or self-adhesive polymer tape...

In Make Your Own Gear » Paint your pot black and add fins. It works!
January 19, 6:00am

re: Psychrometry doesn't cost $140/hour
Nice analysis, David, thanks. And a good explanation of the difference between a hot, humid Florida(?) and cold, dry Alaskan skies. I'd concluded the same about the neoprene JetBoil cosy, t...

January 18, 12:08pm

re: non-incandescent exhaust gases
> My simplistic approximation that clear air doesn't radiant significant heat IS true for clear skies in my climate but what about in stove exahust gases which are much hotter AND wetter tha...

January 18, 11:12am

good stuff!
Nice work, Nick. One way to check that the stove isn't burning hotter (which is a possibility) is to measure a fixed fuel volume, and measure boil time and total burn time. If the total b...

In Make Your Own Gear » Paint your pot black and add fins. It works!
January 18, 10:58am

re: radiation into deep space
The atmosphere is thin, but it is there, and it radiates back at us. Take an IR thermometer and point it at the sky. It won't read 3K, which is the usual assumption for a black body radiating...

January 17, 11:43am

re: need for good thermal contact
It's certainly true that good thermal contact is necessary in order to ensure that the HX fins couple any energy they pick up to the pan, and thence to the pan contents. But, given that David ...

January 17, 10:51am

re: An Alternative vane configuration
> Also, if by their extenstion below the pot or their outer diameter, they may also serve as a windscreen to the pot / fins. Yes, that was part of my thinking too. I'm now part way thr...

January 17, 6:12am

All Reader Reviews by Kevin Beeden

Kevin Beeden has posted no reviews.