Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Benjamin Smith (bugbomb) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale South Texas
About Me My first "lightweight" trip involved me tossing gear and spare clothes out of my external framed pack the night before a trek in southern Colorado. Now, I experiment with and design (my wife calls it "twiddling") some simple, lightweight gear and carry loads that have become dangerously flirtatious with the SUL barrier.

In south Texas, if you're a hiker, biker, or runner, you don't have to deal with elevation or cold temps. However, you do have to like the feeling of sweaty silnylon next to your skin on a 100 degree, 90+% humidity day.
CitySan Antonio
StateTX
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Benjamin Smith

Showing 121 - 130 of 361 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...37

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: New Balance 872/873 Comments
Steve, Glad the review helped! Re: durability - like Will says in his excellent SpotLite, the mesh will tear up - I've got holes in mine way bigger than the ones he pictures. This doesn'...

In GEAR » New Balance 872/873 Comments
April 27, 6:30am

Re: New Balance 872/873 Comments
You can get them in up to a EEEE width - I have a pretty wide forefoot and have no trouble at all with the EE width. See my reader review here. As I mention in the review, I think they're a ...

In GEAR » New Balance 872/873 Comments
April 26, 4:12pm

2007 Montane eVENT Quick-Fire Jacket REVIEW
Companion forum thread to: 2007 Montane eVENT Quick-Fire Jacket REVIEW

In Editor's Roundtable » 2007 Montane eVENT Quick-Fire Jacket REVIEW
April 24, 10:36pm

Why I Go Light
Companion forum thread to: Why I Go Light

In Editor's Roundtable » Why I Go Light
April 24, 10:33pm

Re: New Site
Hi Jonathon, I was prompted for a username and password when I tried to view a trip report. Looks like you've had some good ones!

In Post-Trip Reports » New Site
April 24, 10:48am

Northern Lites Backcountry Snowshoe REVIEW
Companion forum thread to: Northern Lites Backcountry Snowshoe REVIEW

In Editor's Roundtable » Northern Lites Backcountry Snowshoe REVIEW
April 17, 11:58pm

Gossamer Gear SpinnTwinn Tarp REVIEW
Companion forum thread to: Gossamer Gear SpinnTwinn Tarp REVIEW

In Editor's Roundtable » Gossamer Gear SpinnTwinn Tarp REVIEW
April 17, 11:58pm

Lightweight Gear for Long Distance Hiking: Four Months in Europe
Companion forum thread to: Lightweight Gear for Long Distance Hiking: Four Months in Europe

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Gear for Long Distance Hiking: Four Months in Europe
April 17, 11:57pm

Re: Any Sports Fans?
Yeah, I'm in rare company here in Texas. What's the Dallas buzz after the NBA's call today?

In Chaff » Any Sports Fans?
April 17, 6:48pm

Re: SUB 4
I haven't had much time for gearmaking lately, but when I get a chance I'm going to try and build a sub-4 list around a hooded insulated vest. Anyone have experience with hooded vests?

In Gear Lists » Doug's Sub-4 Gear List
April 17, 6:18pm

All Reader Reviews by Benjamin Smith

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Platypus Platy Reservoir
I use the 4L Big Zip as my in camp water supply and for carting extra water through dry stretches (here in south Texas, the whole hike is typically a "dry stretch"). While I find the cap ang...

In Hydration - Water Storage Containers
July 15, 12:10pm

Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Pad
I've slept on this pad and on the similar POE Max Thermo (both full-length). The BA is more comfortable for back sleeping, and the POE is more comfortable when side sleeping. There's something...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 7:42am

Backpacking Light FireLite 500 Titanium Cookpot
I waited until I received the updated lid before posting my review, so my rating applies to the pot with the new "GOOD" lid, not the old "BAD" lid. My old lid didn't seat flush...

In Cookware - Titanium
May 07, 7:44pm

MSR Titan Kettle
I used this item on my recent Sawtooths trip. It worked great - stable, tight lid, strong - but I have one dilemma. I am a boil-and-set type cooker. This means I'm only boiling a cup or two at a time,...

In Cookware - Titanium
September 06, 4:46pm

New Balance 872
Weight - 12.7 oz Size - 9 EE Color - screaming, bright, obnoxious yellow So after years of wearing ill-fitting shoes, I decided to go in and see what size my feet really were. I typically wear 10...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
April 24, 5:19pm