Steven McAllister (brooklynkayak) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Atlantic North East
About Me Outdoors
Expedition kayaking
Backpacking
CityBrooklyn
StateNY
CountryUS

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Steven McAllister

Showing 121 - 130 of 1994 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...200

Forum » Thread

My Latest Alcohol Stove Design
I have found that the pressurized jet type stoves don't work well in wind, but then I've also found that most alcohol stoves don't work well in wind. The one exception that I have fo...

In GEAR » My Latest Alcohol Stove Design
October 24, 4:43pm

Cold Weather
Regarding hammock socks, I have heard nothing but good things. The water resistant ones are made out of similar materials to windshirts and UL bivys, and they do breath well so condensation isn&...

In Hammocks » Q: colder weather hammock gear
October 23, 4:38pm

Wet weather shelter
I have done some long hikes with a Gatewood and as Donna states, it's similar size to a Solomid. I have weathered much rain with the Gatewood and have been quite happy with it. BUT, these...

In GEAR » Wet Weather Shelter Philosophy
October 23, 4:06am

WM Summer light - How Cold?
I have taken my Summerlite down to 20f. I usually wear a hooded fleece, hooded down sweater and merino base layer top and bottom and on warm sleeping pads. I also sleep warm. If the Summerlite...

In GEAR » WM Summer light - How Cold?
October 22, 5:43pm

Re: Re: Wet Weather Shelter Philosophy
Donna, I know what you mean by changing shelters in the outdoors. I used to spend most of my outdoor life in drier climates and so almost always cowboy camped with a poly ground cloth that could ...

In GEAR » Wet Weather Shelter Philosophy
October 21, 8:08am

Your best gear hack/mod/invention/alternate use/improvisation?
In a desperate search for extra water containers in a remote location, I was forced to use the newer style one and two quart juice/milk style cartons that are now common in the US. You know the one...

In GEAR » Your best gear hack/mod/invention/alternate use/improvisation?
October 17, 6:26am

nalgenes
For my use, nothing is better than standard soda bottle, but I use a Steripen Classic. I don't know why the new Steripens don't use this design? The neck gasket makes it so much easier t...

In GEAR » Weight of Nalgene "Ultralite" 1L (for Steripen folks)
October 17, 6:15am

stink factor of merino/poly blends
I have lots of 100% merino, lots of 100% synthetic and a few blends. I like the 25-35% synth/65%-75% blends so far. 100% synth as a base layer stinks very quickly, 100% merino doesn't sti...

In GEAR » stink factor of merino/poly blends
October 15, 3:27am

The best 1mm Line
The Gline looks like a good option. I'll guess it doesn't hold a knot as well as the kite and window-shade line, but stronger and more abrasive resistant. Gline as other similar lines, m...

In GEAR » The best 1mm Line
October 10, 2:22am

The best 1mm Line
Maybe something like this? It's rated 150 lb, which seems to be about right for shelter lines. 150 lb Dacron Kite Line They do carry heavier lines that may be preferred for bear bagging o...

In GEAR » The best 1mm Line
October 09, 5:59pm

All Reader Reviews by Steven McAllister

Showing 1 - 10 of 11 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

RailRiders Eco-Mesh Clothing
I wear both the shirt and the pants when sun and/or bugs are an issue. They are light, well ventilated and flexible. Mesh ventilated sleeves on the shirt protects arms from bug and sun. Loose fi...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
November 08, 5:25pm

Melanzana micro grid hoody
Grid fleece is more hydrophobic than standard fleece, but not quite as warm without a shell. Great for cool days. Put a wind shell over the top and you have a warm combination that breaths well and k...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
November 08, 4:53pm

Integral Designs Silcoat Cape
The biggest complaint that people seem to have about this cape is that it doesn't extend below the knees. I personally prefer this as it works better when hiking in rough terrain or when wearing ...

In Clothing - Raingear
November 08, 10:12am

Mountain Laurel Designs Monk Tarp Spinnaker
This makes a great summer or emergency ultralight shelter. Add a bivy and it could be used year round. I had problems with the durability of the spinnaker version. A couple tie-outs are starting to...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
November 08, 10:00am

Six Moon Designs Serenity NetTent
Although most people use this combined with the Gatewood Cape, I have used it many times under an Oware Alphamid and I'm sure it would work great under many other pyramid shelters. It is lighter...

November 08, 9:50am

Equinox 8 X 10 silnylon tarp
Although it has grommets instead of tie-outs, the grommets are reinforced and can take abuse. It has mid-point tie-outs that help make it a more versatile shelter. A great step up from the stand...

November 08, 9:41am

Integral Designs Siltarp 2
A good all around tarp. It does not have any mid point tie-outs like Oware and others have. This limits your pitch options, but if all you use is an a-frame or flying diamond pich, this is perfe...

November 08, 9:28am

Oware Flat Tarp 2.5
You will not find a more flexible shelter. Square shape and multiple well placed tie-outs means more pitch options than most shelters. 9'x9' means big enough for a variety of conditions. ...

November 08, 9:23am

Gossamer Gear Spinshelter
The GG Spinnshelter has much of the flexibility of a flat tarp, but easier pitch in a storm-proof mode. It sheds wind well and is fairly roomy when pitched high. You may not be able to fully sit ...

May 25, 9:48am

Gatorade Bottle
On problem with sports drink(Gatorade) bottles is that the cap is made out of a different more brittle material. I have experienced the caps breaking many times from being dropped when full of water. ...

In Hydration - Water Storage Containers
June 18, 5:24am