BPL Community Profile

Ben Crowell (bcrowell) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Ben Crowell has not added a biography yet.
CityFullerton
StateCA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Ben Crowell

Showing 121 - 130 of 329 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ...33

Forum » Thread

Re: calories per lb
"I weight about 180. So 3000 calories is 16.7 cal/lb. This is pretty close to what I eat in a normal day (although I have pretty active normal days)." This is basically the same as what ...

In Gear Lists » Newbie: Spider Gap-Lyman Lakes-Buck Creek Pass, full gear lis
July 30, 5:25pm

lightening up
Re the weight, the following seem to me like the big items to think about changing: -Boots. Try running shoes instead. -Sleeping pad. Try one of these: http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossa...

July 30, 4:09pm

Re: 9 days at 25 lbs
Derek Schutt wrote: "How much would 9 days of food weigh for you? We have about 11 lbs of food right now for 6 breakfasts and lunches and 5 dinners @ ~3000cal/day." This seems to vary en...

July 30, 3:59pm

Re: Info on YV / North JMT
Mathias wrote: "What about going from Vermillion to YV?" Possible pros of going YV to VVR: -slightly more gradual altitude acclimatization Possible pros of VVR to YV: -probably easier...

In Post-Trip Reports » Ultimate Father & Son Trip Suggestions
July 30, 1:52pm

pros and cons
Well, let's rationally weigh the pros and cons of a gun versus bear spray. Advantages of bear spray: -more effective -more ethical -lighter Advantages of a gun: -makes your d~ick feel...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » 1 dead, 2 injured in Montana bear attack
July 30, 11:51am

Re: Water storage, shower, dry bag...
10 liters of water storage!?!? That's 22 lb of water! Do you do a lot of desert hiking? If you're hiking in a place like the Sierra, where water is plentiful, there's usually no good re...

In GEAR » Water storage, shower, dry bag...
July 30, 9:22am

Re: Permethrin
Adan wrote: "Really? I thought those bug proof shirts used permethrin to fend off skeeters. Hmm. Good to know, thanks Ben!" Hmm...not sure if I'm right about this. This is just wha...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » 3-4 openings for Rae Lakes loop 8/12-8/15
July 29, 4:12pm

Re: keeping stuff in pack dry: your techniqiues?
Mary D wrote: "The "candy cane" closure involves twisting the top of the bag tightly and then doubling it back on itself. A small piece of cord can be used." Aha! That sounds...

In GEAR » keeping stuff in pack dry: your techniqiues?
July 29, 3:58pm

Re: Rain and skeeters
Adan wrote: "Only difference is that i plan on spraying permethrin on my long shirt and head net. Skeeters up on Walker lake drained me dry right through my shirt last year." My unders...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » 3-4 openings for Rae Lakes loop 8/12-8/15
July 29, 3:52pm

Re: keeping stuff in pack dry: your techniqiues?
Mary D wrote: "you'll want to fasten it with a waterproof closure (the "candy cane" closure usually works)." What do you mean by a "candy cane" closure? I'v...

In GEAR » keeping stuff in pack dry: your techniqiues?
July 29, 2:59pm

All Reader Reviews by Ben Crowell

Ben Crowell has posted no reviews.